Movie Idiocracy

Remove this Banner Ad

Those in charge knew this movie was terrible and didn't want to spend the money on advertising and distribution.

You act as if it's a simple matter of fact that the movie was terrible and that is why it didn't get a huge release, when the reality is that it's merely your opinion.

I don't for a minute think it would have killed it at the box-office, but i also don't buy into the overly simplistic notion that any film that doesn't get widespread backing from the distributor must be terrible.

Straight to DVD was there only chance of salvaging anything.

It wasn't a 'straight to dvd' title.

You act as if it's a simple matter of fact that the movie was terrible and that is why it didn't get a huge release, when the reality is that it's merely your opinion.

I don't for a minute think it would have killed it at the box-office, but i also don't buy into the overly simplistic notion that any film that doesn't get widespread backing from the distributor must be terrible.

It wasn't a 'straight to dvd' title.

I don't recall it ever coming to the cinemas here in Australia - it was straight to DVD here and had a very very very limited release in the US. 7 cities or so got it before it was pulled.

It got nominated for 1 single award. 'Breakout male at the Teen choice awards' ahaha.

I'm not saying you have to dislike films if they don't go the cinemas but this one was suppose to be a major release until they completely botched it and fox dropped it. We don't know if the movie was half baked because it was dropped or if it was dropped because it was half baked but nevertheless it wasn't done properly.

Those in charge knew this movie was terrible and didn't want to spend the money on advertising and distribution. Straight to DVD was there only chance of salvaging anything.

Like i said. Good idea with an interesting satire. Might be watchable if you are studying sociology(despite the fact there are a billion holes in the 'stupid future society' ) but as a movie it's very poor. I wouldn't waste a lonely Sunday night on it.

72% on Rotten Tomatoes suggests otherwise...

Having said that, it's certainly not mainstream enough to warrant such widespread distribution. It has more in common with Indie films

Meanwhile, this got a nationwide release in the US
http://au.rottentomatoes.com/m/1191620-college/

72% on Rotten Tomatoes suggests otherwise...

Having said that, it's certainly not mainstream enough to warrant such widespread distribution. It has more in common with Indie films

It wasn't mainstream because fox gave it the arse because it sucked. It was meant to be mainstream and that's why they hooked Luke Wilson for the main role. It's only close to an indie film because they messed it up making it look unclean and dodgy.

I didn't want to bring online ratings in to this because they are dubious in nature but seeing as though you have....

Total of 6.4/10 on Imdb.com

Over 40's - 6.0/10
females under 18 - 7.8/10

In conclusion, if you are female and under 18 then you have a good chance of enjoying this(*cough Luke Wilson cough*).

I didn't want to bring online ratings in to this because they are dubious in nature but seeing as though you have....

Total of 6.4/10 on Imdb.com

Over 40's - 6.0/10
females under 18 - 7.8/10

In conclusion, if you are female and under 18 then you have a good chance of enjoying this(*cough Luke Wilson cough*).

Considering the rating I gave you was via movie critics, it has more weight then IMDB where anybody can vote. Interestingly, the public vote on RT is very similar to IMDB at 66%.

Interestingly, respected critic Roger Ebert had this to say about distribution after compiling his top list of movies of 2008;

"Looking back over the list, I think most moviegoers will have heard of only about 11, because distribution has reached such a dismal state. I wrote to a reader about "Shotgun Stories," "I don't know if it will play in your town." She wrote back, "How about my state?" This is a time when home video, Netflix and the good movie channels come to the rescue. My theory that you should see a movie on a big screen is sound, but utopian."

Distribution is largely irrelevant.

Throwing Luke Wilson into the reasoning for it's mainstream attempt is pretty pointless considering he has been in small films previously.

Yep, you summed up my thoughts in one sentence. :thumbsu:

Yeah, it pissed me off - I got it in a bargin bin, read the blurb anf thought 'cult classic'. But no all that occred was a fantasic idea ruined by poor writitng/direction (actors involved were correct IMO but just had nothing to work with).

The only genuine laugh I had was when the pimp got out of the statis pod at the end and strutted down the street.

We're gonna take you back, to the year 1939 when Charlie Chaplin and his nazi regime enslaved Europe and tried to take over the world...But then an even greater force emerged, the UN. And the UN. un-nazied the world - forever. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Each time I watch this movie, the less I laugh, but the more frightened I become because it hits closer to home with each passing passage of time.

If you're looking for a good comedy, I suggest you either rent or buy a movie entitled "Idiocracy." Has anyone here seen it? I found it to be hilariously funny. :thumbsu: Here's a summary from imdb:

Joe Bauer, an Army librarian, is judged to be absolutely average in every regard, has no relatives, has no future, so he's chosen to be one of the two test subjects in a top-secret hibernation program. He and hooker Rita were to awaken in one year, but things go wrong and they wake up instead in 2505. By this time, stupid people have outbred intelligent people; the world is (barely) run by morons--and Joe and Rita are the smartest people in America.

Underapreciated - President Conseco (is that his name) pr0n star and wrestler is one of the greatest inventions in Cinema

if you have an IQ above 80 don't watch this crap

the movie is stupid for the first 10 minutes and proceeds to get worse

go watch sharknado instead

Underapreciated - President Conseco (is that his name) pr0n star and wrestler is one of the greatest inventions in Cinema

President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho

1924893_10152261816504846_1807340019_n.jpg

:D

I need to watch this again. Motivation: Talking about cryogenics on the radio yesterday. Turns out they're building one in australia ready to open next year. I think it costs about $200k to get done. I'd love to wake up 150 years in the future. I'd be like a kid in a candy store.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back