Media iDon cruises to his 550th for his beloved Baghdad Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

IMG_5771.jpeg

The Baghdad Bombers proudly celebrate the storied qareer of our esteemed veteran iDon on the eve of his impending 550th game.

IMG_5791.jpeg

My first meeting with the Don was at the Shabandar Cafe in Baghdad, a 100-year-old cultural institution, where poetry is discussed as fervently as politics and where (if they’re not careful) a few Gumbies could learn a thing or two.

IMG_5797.jpeg

iDon points out that drinking coffee (qahveh) in the Arabic world grew as naturally in Iraq as it has right around the world, only much much earlier.

IMG_5798.jpeg

Coffee houses were not just coffee drinking places, but also places for social meetups and intellectual discussions lasting all night long

IMG_5796.jpeg

As I took in the history around us, iDon pointed out to me that the photos on the wall were of the owners 5 children who were killed in a terrorist attack.

IMG_5772.jpeg

With his own long history as a “Bomber” I asked him whether he ever reflected on the irony.

“Haven't really taken a heap of notice until last few hundred games when a lot of people just fell off the site.”

IMG_4491.gif

Has Baghdad recovered yet?

“I think now we are finally in a good spot.”

Do you ever shout “Carna ******* Bombers” at an AFL game?

“No.”

IMG_5806.jpeg

Outside, the streets of Baghdad are lined with book sellers. Near the old quarter of Baghdad, Al-Mutanabbi Street’s first book traders’ market is over 1,000 years old.

IMG_5787.jpeg

Who's Old Mav (I asked a teammate from the S23 premiership season)?
Some old guy named Mav.
Who’s iDon (I asked a mate from S14’s flag season?
I only know Don Draper.
How do you keep motivated?

“I don’t push myself too hard.”

IMG_5779.jpeg

What is your proudest achievement in the Sweet FA?

“Always the premierships first. Team success.”

Who inspired you the most?

KohPhi Tony Lynn 15 and TheCoach16 just to name a few at the Bombers”

IMG_5813.jpeg

Graphic thanks to Grav

IMG_5704.jpeg
#nightshift

Last edited:

Thanks lads.

Many will say, who? But that's alright. Comp needs some posters who are here for their longevity and making the admins life easy. (zero ban points unite)

Long may the SFA reign on the Bigfooty boards.

Side note I enjoy the old school posters stuff, less edgy and more my cup of tea. Shout out to Mobbs boncer34 Ljp86 ClarkeM sausageroll The Filth Wizard and co.

Thanks lads.

Many will say, who? But that's alright. Comp needs some posters who are here for their longevity and making the admins life easy. (zero ban points unite)

Side note I enjoy the old school posters stuff, less edgy and more my cup of tea. Shout out to Mobbs boncer34 Ljp86 ClarkeM sausageroll The Filth Wizard and co.
I've genuinely never seen you around here, how did you get to 550 games? Your team must really struggle for posters.

Thanks lads.

Old school for OldMav!

All the best iDon. I already regarded you as club legend when I was with the Bombers and still do to this day. To me, you are the Baghdad Bombers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ahh good old OldMav. Those were the days

Thanks mate, someone has to play all games
Yes, they were the days.

Sometime in the future I'm planning on going back to the Bombers. See you when that day finally comes. I know you'll still be there :thumbsu:

Some of iDon ‘s old teammates and adversaries have arrived to pay their respects to the great man on his 550th.

ant555

IMG_6119.jpeg

loopy_cam

IMG_6117.jpeg

George

IMG_6118.jpeg

The Greatest Ava

IMG_6120.jpeg

He’d be absolutely delighted to have his family and friends come over from the island too.

IMG_6116.jpeg

#afterhours

Remove this Banner Ad

Back