Mystery Immortality

Remove this Banner Ad

Funny you say that, there's an albino in a gunny sack running around the front yard whacking himself with a leather thong.....:eek:
There can't possibly have been many funnier things written on this forum. You're a dag.

I've been thinking, how long will it be before we have the ability to become immortal?

If scientists tomorrow, had a surgical procedure, that could give me say, 'Eagle Eye Vision'. I would pay for that, and I wouldn't be the only one. I think just like cosmetic surgery, when these things become available, people will want them. I think slowly we will evolve into a superhuman species.

Essentially once we can replicate the human brain, and convert that data, we could continue living, even if we were to do so within an artificially created host, or perhaps just a computer. Immortality may not be as far away as you think. 50 years is a long time. And if you think about computer technology, we've exploded from the mid 90s to today.

Anyone have any thoughts on the topic?
they will have to make suicide legal, more than just Philip Nitschke

6xm0.jpg
6xm8.jpg

blackcat says meeow, and puts his/her paw up. meeeow pleeese. thanks salman, thank allah for fatwahs please jesus

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Turritopsis nutricula

http-inlinethumb11.webshots.com-46666-2758674020105960926S500x500Q85.jpg

Turritopsis nutricula, the immortal jellyfish, is a hydrozoan whose medusa, or jellyfish, form can revert to the polyp stage after becoming sexually mature. It is the only known case of a metazoan capable of reverting completely to a sexually immature, colonial stage after having reached sexual maturity as a solitary stage. It does this through the cell development process of transdifferentiation. Cell transdifferentiation is when the jellyfish "alters the differentiated state of the cell and transforms it into a new cell". In this process the medusa of the immortal jellyfish is transformed into the polyps of a new polyp colony. First, the umbrella reverts itself and then the tentacles and mesoglea get resorbed. The reverted medusa then attaches itself to the substrate by the end that had been at the opposite end of the umbrella and starts giving rise to new polyps to form the new colony. Theoretically, this process can go on indefinitely, effectively rendering the jellyfish biologically immortal, although in nature, most Turritopsis, like other medusae, are likely to succumb to predation or disease in the plankton stage, without reverting to the polyp form. No single specimen has been observed for any extended period, so it is not currently possible to estimate the age of an individual, and so even if this species has the potential for immortality, there is no laboratory evidence of many generations surviving from any individual.

http://www.zmescience.com/tag/turritopsis-nutricula/

Turritopsis nutricula

http-inlinethumb11.webshots.com-46666-2758674020105960926S500x500Q85.jpg

Turritopsis nutricula, the immortal jellyfish, is a hydrozoan whose medusa, or jellyfish, form can revert to the polyp stage after becoming sexually mature. It is the only known case of a metazoan capable of reverting completely to a sexually immature, colonial stage after having reached sexual maturity as a solitary stage. It does this through the cell development process of transdifferentiation. Cell transdifferentiation is when the jellyfish "alters the differentiated state of the cell and transforms it into a new cell". In this process the medusa of the immortal jellyfish is transformed into the polyps of a new polyp colony. First, the umbrella reverts itself and then the tentacles and mesoglea get resorbed. The reverted medusa then attaches itself to the substrate by the end that had been at the opposite end of the umbrella and starts giving rise to new polyps to form the new colony. Theoretically, this process can go on indefinitely, effectively rendering the jellyfish biologically immortal, although in nature, most Turritopsis, like other medusae, are likely to succumb to predation or disease in the plankton stage, without reverting to the polyp form. No single specimen has been observed for any extended period, so it is not currently possible to estimate the age of an individual, and so even if this species has the potential for immortality, there is no laboratory evidence of many generations surviving from any individual.

http://www.zmescience.com/tag/turritopsis-nutricula/

any symmetry with the box jellyfish?
the box are dangerous

Remove this Banner Ad

Back