Club Legend
Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
VFL Collingwood
Hi all, hope everyone is well.

Anyway, I went camping over the weekend and had a bit of an accident whilst away.
Long story short is that I am unable to use my right hand (I'm right handed) in any sort of capacity due to the injury and won't be able to for a bit of time yet.

It has only been a few days (got out of surgery on Monday) and I am already going nuts, I am ridiculously bored and just getting frustrated with myself for not being able to do a whole lot and just how difficult/annoying every day things have become ( eg. showering).

So I was just after some tips or even ideas on what I can do to keep myself busy for the next x amount of time and what you did to deal with the frustration if you've been in a similar position.

Cheers.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I broke some bones in my left hand a few years back - fortunately I'm right handed - but it was surprising how much it still affected everything.
We are unaware of how much we use our hands 'together'

Sounds like a good opportunity to catch up on some reading. :)

Hope the injury is not too serious, and you have people around to help.:rainbow:

Oh wow, I haven't broken any bones, but I have cut straight through the tendon on/at the bottom of my thumb.

Yeah I honestly cannot believe how much I took for granted the use of both hands, slowly adjusting though.

Does reading BigFooty a lot more count? :p

Can't say much about upper limbs, but my knees and ankles are glass and I've had a couple surgeries on both which have resulted in extended layoffs.

For me it was all about downloading a bunch of shows and movies and having some marathons. Lower limbs were particularly annoying due to the showering on a bloody chair with my leg in a bag bullshit, and living in a two storey house made things...difficult.

But I digress, movies and TV and painkillers have done it for me in the past.

If you haven't watched The Wire, The Sopranos or a similarly long 'classic' TV show - now is the time to pick them up!

Can't say much about upper limbs, but my knees and ankles are glass and I've had a couple surgeries on both which have resulted in extended layoffs.

For me it was all about downloading a bunch of shows and movies and having some marathons. Lower limbs were particularly annoying due to the showering on a bloody chair with my leg in a bag bullshit, and living in a two storey house made things...difficult.

But I digress, movies and TV and painkillers have done it for me in the past.

If you haven't watched The Wire, The Sopranos or a similarly long 'classic' TV show - now is the time to pick them up!
Yeah it's pretty similar with my hand and arm being in a cast, I went into surgery and woke up with a cast on. Wasn't impressed haha.
But yeah showering is definitely a pain in the ass, drying yourself with one hand is more difficult and annoying than it sounds.

I've also taken to TV series as a distraction but I'm just watching a LOT of Top Gear.
I've got Panadiene Forte here that they gave me at the hospital, but am yet to touch it, just not overly keen on the idea of feeling numb, which is what it does apparently (Never had it).

if i hurt my hand i use all the time i would be shattered for reasons u shouldnt post about :D
Yeah deliberately left that out :p
But seeing as you bought it up, I will say that my girlfriend has been excellent at attending to my needs. She's a keeper (for a lot of other reasons as well obviously) she has been ridiculously supportive and has helped with everyday things (like doing up buttons, cooking, etc.) with minimum fuss.

Yeah deliberately left that out :p
But seeing as you bought it up, I will say that my girlfriend has been excellent at attending to my needs. She's a keeper (for a lot of other reasons as well obviously) she has been ridiculously supportive and has helped with everyday things (like doing up buttons, cooking, etc.) with minimum fuss.
8647513641_860d9c007b_o.gif

Hi all, hope everyone is well.

Anyway, I went camping over the weekend and had a bit of an accident whilst away.
Long story short is that I am unable to use my right hand (I'm right handed) in any sort of capacity due to the injury and won't be able to for a bit of time yet.

It has only been a few days (got out of surgery on Monday) and I am already going nuts, I am ridiculously bored and just getting frustrated with myself for not being able to do a whole lot and just how difficult/annoying every day things have become ( eg. showering).

So I was just after some tips or even ideas on what I can do to keep myself busy for the next x amount of time and what you did to deal with the frustration if you've been in a similar position.

Cheers.

I've been in a similar situation for a few months now and starting to get right at the moment. Definitely periods that are mentally tough when you're in pain and can't do things but you also get used to it which helps. The positive is after all this how good will it feel to be "normal" again

I've been in a similar situation for a few months now and starting to get right at the moment. Definitely periods that are mentally tough when you're in pain and can't do things but you also get used to it which helps. The positive is after all this how good will it feel to be "normal" again
glad to hear you're coming good
It's been a long road for you

How's your hand Swanny36 ?
Hey Magpie Girl sorry for the late reply, haven't been able to get on because of the TapaTalk app problems.
The hand is coming along extremely slowly, well it at least feels that way.
I go in for my first "rehab" session tomorrow (Monday) and am hoping to have a good result by the end of it, fingers crossed.

G'day mate, yeah you definitely do get used to it to some extent, but I've still had a few days here and there where I get pretty frustrated by it.
I think that's just due to the fact that I had just started my new job (which I'd been working towards for the past year) two weeks before it happened so I'm off from that for 10-12 weeks, and also more to the point, I play three different sports a week and being unable to play them is what gets to me more than the job side of it. Especially seeing as I'm still going down every week and watching my teams games and I just sit there wanting to play.

What have you done if you don't mind me asking? and how much longer until your recovery is finished?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back