Insomnia

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 31, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
currently into the 3rd week of this. Absolutely shagged all day and night until I go to bed. Thoughts kick in and the restlessness starts, I can never get to sleep before 2am and I have to be up at 6 so I'm getting feck all sleep. Anyone who has gone through this have any tips to relax the mind before bed? I've tried a warm bath quiet music but hasn't had any success.

currently into the 3rd week of this. Absolutely shagged all day and night until I go to bed. Thoughts kick in and the restlessness starts, I can never get to sleep before 2am and I have to be up at 6 so I'm getting feck all sleep. Anyone who has gone through this have any tips to relax the mind before bed? I've tried a warm bath quiet music but hasn't had any success.
Exercise more. Tire yourself out.

Before bed or during the day ?
Take up some kind of exercise regimen early in the morning....(5am-7am window).
And take up a gym/class/sport of some kind in the evening after work....(5pm-7pm window).

Possible examples...

Mornings: treadmill for 30 mins, or push-ups/crunches/squats type circuit, or a few laps of a 50 meter pool nearby.

Evenings: squash, martial arts, gym, walk the dog, jog, etc.

Then you'd have dinner around 7-8pm.

Definitely not before

What do you do during the day?

Do you eat a lot before bed?

What's the average temp of your room?

I'd focus on the comfort of your bed and room etc. make sure you're not too warm (you sleep easier in the cold) and you haven't eaten a big meal

Don't force it either, if you feel pretty slugged earlier than when you'd normally go to bed then try to use it to sleep then

Take up some kind of exercise regimen early in the morning....(5am-7am window).
And take up a gym/class/sport of some kind in the evening after work....(5pm-7pm window).

Possible examples...

Mornings: treadmill for 30 mins, or push-ups/crunches/squats type circuit, or a few laps of a 50 meter pool nearby.

Evenings: squash, martial arts, gym, walk the dog, jog, etc.

Then you'd have dinner around 7-8pm.

Thanks mate, will kick off something like this on Friday

Definitely not before

What do you do during the day?

Do you eat a lot before bed?

What's the average temp of your room?

I'd focus on the comfort of your bed and room etc. make sure you're not too warm (you sleep easier in the cold) and you haven't eaten a big meal

Don't force it either, if you feel pretty slugged earlier than when you'd normally go to bed then try to use it to sleep then

Work - Fitter for a cabinet maker so fairly busy most of the day

Nope - Usually have a dinner around 7 and that's it for the food for the night

Probably around 20 degrees maybe a bit lower. have a ceiling fan and pedestal on me

overall it's a fairly relaxed lifestyle. Usually go fishing on the weekend and maybe golf. Can't think why it's started all of a sudden.

I wouldn't think lack of energy use would be an issue by the sounds of it

Just ensure your room/bed is nice a cool and quiet and you're comfortable. Sometimes you can be uncomfortable without realising it. Have a look at your pillows/mattress to see if they're still in good shape

Maybe you're just afraid of not being able to fall asleep so you're over thinking it causing you to stay up. Try to keep a clear head and just think about general stuff and keep your eyes closed

Do you share a bed? If so and you go to bed at the same time as your partner try going to bed earlier than them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Avoid caffeine as well in case your drinking soft drinks or coffees before bed

I'll say it again though for me it's the temperature. I only ever really struggle when it's warm, even mildly warm

I wouldn't think lack of energy use would be an issue by the sounds of it

Just ensure your room/bed is nice a cool and quiet and you're comfortable. Sometimes you can be uncomfortable without realising it. Have a look at your pillows/mattress to see if they're still in good shape

Maybe you're just afraid of not being able to fall asleep so you're over thinking it causing you to stay up. Try to keep a clear head and just think about general stuff and keep your eyes closed

Do you share a bed? If so and you go to bed at the same time as your partner try going to bed earlier than them

I think this is the problem hence why i've been trying to relax. Mind goes crazy as soon as the lights go out

Avoid caffeine as well in case your drinking soft drinks or coffees before bed

I'll say it again though for me it's the temperature. I only ever really struggle when it's warm, even mildly warm
For sure it's a key component.

But if you're tired, like REAAAALLLLLY tired, you'll sleep in heat, sweat like a pig, and not wake up, just wake up next morning like you never moved an inch while asleep.

Obviously all of us here posting have suffered from insomnia to be talking/sharing info. And everything mentioned so far by us is on the mark. At least a process of elimination to isolate the cause. Because Big Sauce is also confused as to the cause for it. So it will help him discover it.

For sure it's a key component.

But if you're tired, like REAAAALLLLLY tired, you'll sleep in heat, sweat like a pig, and not wake up, just wake up next morning like you never moved an inch while asleep.

Obviously all of us here posting have suffered from insomnia to be talking/sharing info. And everything mentioned so far by us is on the mark. At least a process of elimination to isolate the cause. Because Big Sauce is also confused as to the cause for it. So it will help him discover it.

and I appreciate the information :thumbsu:

One thing I find from time to time is playing PS3 or sitting on the computer/phone just before bed usually keeps me awake longer. Though watching TV generally helps me nod off. Avoid electronics for about 30 mins before bed could help.

I need a little noise when I sleep

Not loud enough so I can listen to but just enough to stop complete silence because it's pretty deafening for me

For example I have a music channel on my tv, but I can't hear it enough to know what song is playing

I've had sleeping troubles in the past, here's what I've learnt over the years..

Exercise is really important, if you're not using up your energy, your body isn't going to want to switch off (probably not an issue for the OP because of your work, but a good general rule)

Avoid computer and phone screens before you go to bed. They trick your brain into thinking its still daylight, and keeps it active that bit longer.

I find that reading in bed is a good way to switch off. It takes your mind off things, and really helps me relax.

Be careful with fans! I can't get to sleep in Summer without one, but if I have one blowing directly on me it can keep me awake. Try to have them in a position where they're not directly on you, but you can still feel the movement of air.

And avoid supermarket-bought vitamin sleeping tablets! (Swisse, Blackmores, etc.). If you're like me, you'll build a resistance to them and they won't do a thing, but you'll always feel groggy in the morning.

usually around 10.30 and up to 5 hours some nights. laying in bed that long seems bizarre but it's very common for me at the moment.

There's been some good advice on tgis thread already, however if you can't sleep it may help to get up and go to another room for a short period of time. In that way yoiu equate bed with sleeping as opposed to ceiling-staring.

As for not being able to "shut off" your thoughts, perhaps some mindfulness meditation may help. There's some audio podcasts on mindfulness for sleep here

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/audio/2011/jan/28/headspace-sleeping

Mindfulness-based sleep meditation has been suggested to help with many of the issues that stop us sleeping.

For example, the Stanford Medical Centre undertook a pilot study to investigate whether a combined 6 week programme of mindfulness and cognitive behavioural therapy could improve the sleep of 30 insomniacs.

Following the mindfulness course, the insomniacs got to sleep twice as quickly as before, taking 20 minutes as opposed to 40 minutes. At the end of the study, approximately 60% of the participants no longer qualified as insomniacs. In a follow up study, 12 months later, they found the majority of benefits had remained5,6.

Researchers from the University of Massachusetts Medical School developed an effective sleep therapy that incorporated meditation as an integral component.

In a non-controlled study of 102 insomniacs, 58% reported significant improvements and 91% of those using medication either reduced their dose or eliminated its use completely. Six months later 60% of respondents said the benefits had been maintained

http://www.getsomeheadspace.com/meditation-for-sleep.aspx

Remove this Banner Ad

Back