Discussion Is GWS a good name?

Remove this Banner Ad

I have to admit, I like the big G logo. It's definitely grown on me. The all orange jumper looks fantastic with it. Big, bold, and definitive. Did anyone see that footage of Kevin Sheedy at 'g the other night? He was taking photos with an iPhone, with a big G sticker on the back. Instantly recognisable. I'd like them to make a more traditional shield logo, though - but the G could be their real trademark.

And the Freo part, (correct me if I'm wrong) I'm pretty sure they used green, red and white because Fremantle has a fairly strong Italian heritage but their main colour has always been purple.

Sorry , Just correcting you because you are wrong !!

The Freo Original Jumper was all about the PORT of Fremantle and its Maritime Heritage : The Purple reflects the Ocean ( Purple Oceans .. anyway ??). the Anchor of course . The Red & Green had nothing to do with Italian Heritage. It has everything to do with PORT & STARBOARD !!

FYI : the Wind which comes from Fremantle and you often hear it referred to during Cricket season as the "Fremantle Doctor" . It was originally known as the "Fremantle Docker" .. because back in the days of Wind Powered Sailing Ships, the boats used to wait out on Gaige Roads ( Shipping Lanes off Freo ) for the South Westerley Breeze to Pick up to help them Dock at Fremantle. ... hence the Freo Docker !! And even today , I am lead to believe it is a lot easier Docking massive bulk Carriers .. when the 'Doctor is in Town' !!

..Well thats my understanding .. and I reckon it made sense .. I believed it !!

No real reason for the green and red. I don't even think the Port and Starboard thesis is correct. The AFL proposed purple because of a marketing survey. It was the most popular and liked colour in the US, and the most underused in Australia. Red, white, and green were probably just additions to this.

Oh Sorry !!

I was just going on what Mal Brown introduced said at the Launch in Fremantle ( E Shed Market from Memory ) in July 1994 when he launched it and explained it all .. thats all.

I remember distinctly raising the eye brows when the Purple represented the Calmness of the Indian Ocean.

.. But maybe 'E' Shed meant something I did not understand and I was dillusional !!!:D

YES, Greater Western Sydney Giants is Too long !!

.. No Suggestions. This time last year I wanted them to be Green & Gold ... still do ! Maybe Green & Orange. But I do like the Grey & Orange !

Giants is Good also.

No real reason for the green and red. I don't even think the Port and Starboard thesis is correct. The AFL proposed purple because of a marketing survey. It was the most popular and liked colour in the US, and the most underused in Australia. Red, white, and green were probably just additions to this.

I have actually heard the Port and Starboard explanation a few times myself. So I did a quick wikipedia search and found...

Until 2011 the Fremantle Football Club used the anchor symbol as the basis for all of their guernseys. The home guernsey was purple, with a white anchor on the front separating the chest area into two panels, which were coloured red and green to represent the traditional maritime port and starboard colours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Fremantle Dockers developed their team colours with the dual assistance of an outside organisation called Advertising Agency 303 and a design company called Turner Design. The Football Club considers their team colours very important to the marketability of their club. They feel it is important that their colours are both popular and eye catching, as supporters need to be comfortable when wearing the Dockers colours otherwise the product will not sell. Therefore the club conducted an in depth analysis on other sports and current market trends when developing their team colours. The reason for such an exercise was the belief that other sporting teams have "taught" supporters to wear certain colours. Hence some supporters have become comfortable with specific colours prior to their introduction into emerging clubs colour schemes.

Fremantle Football Club broke tradition somewhat and finalised their team colours across four spectrums involving purple, red, green, and white. Sporting teams have historically chosen a two or three colour scheme. Certain reasons were highly influential on this decision. The most significant of these was that they where different to the colours of any other clubs within the AFL, as they are the first team to use purple and green in their colour scheme. The club also made this selection based on what these colours represent to the Fremantle region. For example red, white and green are traditionally the colours of the Italian community, whose presence is strong in the Fremantle area. Furthermore, red and green typically illustrate their connection with the Maritime culture. This is further substantiated with the selection of the team’s name of the "Dockers." Possibly the most profound factor in determining Fremantle’s club colours, is the fact that purple is the current number one selling colour in American sports and it has a strong association with religion, which in turn appeals to the Catholic denomination of the city.

- "An Investigation of Colour in Sport", Amanda & Helen Allegos, RMIT
http://fulltext.ausport.gov.au/fulltext/1999/cjsm/v3n2/allegos32.htm

Quote:
Possibly the most profound factor in determining Fremantle’s club colours, is the fact that purple is the current number one selling colour in American sports.
Maybe be the clubs that wear purple are successful at the moment, or they are the clubs with the most supporters. At the moment black and white would be the most sold colours at the moment. Maybe it is because Collingwood is successful or that they have so many fans.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back