Is it better to watch the footy on TV or live at the ground?

Is footy better on TV or live at ground?

• TV

Votes: 27 43.5%
  • Live at ground

Votes: 35 56.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Pros and cons. I prefer watching at home with a six-pack of full-strength beer and a few cones. I find there are a lot of annoying fans who don’t know the rules at the ground, too.

Plus no commute, and you can just get on with your day.

Watching live is nice to get a full view of the ground though. You definitely get a much more comprehensive perspective of how the team is structuring up, and you’ve got the option of focusing in on players.

TV=
1. Cold beer within reach at a 10th of the price.
2. Cold beer within reach at a 10th of the price and piss stop reasonably close.
3. If your team is getting flogged you can walk out and kick the cat.
4. If your wifes team is beating yours you can have sex at half time without being moved on by stupid people in colored coats.
5. If your wifes team is beating yours you can knock back sex go kick the cat and hope her teams on a roll.
6. Watch it muted while listening to the races, hope the missus is at work, kill the cat, have a few mates around to vouch the cat ran away.
At ground=
1. Cost to get there
2. Nuff nuffs you have to deal with getting there [mainly on train]
3. Nuff nuffs you have to deal with while there.
4. Nuff nuffs you have to deal with on way home [mainly on train]
5. Getting told to stop that and move on by stupid people in colored coats.
6. The first cold beer when you get home, the cats been run over by your neighbour and the wifes team wins.

I prefer on TV. Footy tickets can be pretty pricy, easier, always able to clearly see whats happening on TV, able to see how long is left, can watch bits of other games during breaks, cheaper food/drinks, good to hang out and watch with friends/family, i like seeing and knowing stats, replays, i don't mind some of the commentary and discussion, more comfortable.

The handful of games I've been to at Optus though I've found to be way better than Subi and enjoyed seeing live.

FWIW:
Basketball - I prefer live
Cricket - lean towards live as long as seats are half decent

At the ground, because the television coverage is horrendously bad. In any case it's not a game that's suited to TV, unlike most other sports (like cricket, tennis, soccer).

For a big game or a final, live is great.

But for most games which pan out as a run of the mill 30pt win or loss, TV by a country mile.

Once you factor in the time, cost and additional effort of getting there, staying there for 3 hours, eating ordinary food, sitting next to nuff nuffs, having security stand over you, etc etc etc, it just isn't worth the hassle.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's very disappointing at the grounds why they don't seem to probably invest in having a couple of commentators at each quarter's break to run through some key stats. It's all about cheesy crowd games like kiss-cam, and racing for sponsor prizes. I think if they invested more into educating people on what's happening the crowd will provide more energy and add atmosphere later in the game.

Hard to pick, there are pros and cons to both. You get a better close up view on TV, and commentary, as bad as it can be (unless you listen to commentary at the game). I've noticed as the years have gone by the angle has got wider, taking in more of the field of play, which is good. In the old days the ball often disappeared from the screen lol. Hard to get a sense of how each team was positioned. Of course the atmosphere isn't the same. I try to go to every Eagles game here to support them though.

Nothing beats watching the game live.
You also don't get an appreciation of how fit these athletes truly are when watching from the couch.
The amount of gut running they all do while carrying all that muscle is arguably as good as it gets anywhere in the world.
They're not even muscular.

TV is way better. Save all the time messing around to watch a game that you can't even see all of. Cramped seats, people getting up all the time to buy food/drinks etc. It takes up a good 6 hours easy of your time getting to and from the venue ( including getting ready and driving, parking, not being late etc )

* that. As kaiser said, save that time and watch another game on tv being way more comfortable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the TV you're stuck watching what the cameraman is looking at. At the ground you can decide what you see, whether it's following the ball, watching the setups and structures around the ground or even watching an individual player for 5 minutes to see how they move around the contests. Add no BT and it's clearly much superior

Live regionally and a big haul to get to Kardinia park last week. Motel, uber, long haul back.Drinks at ground and tucker. Pretty costly but do it a couple of times a year and I found it brilliant being at the ground.Had two blokes sitting directly behind us , st kilda dudes and they were yelling out stuff like "bruceey" every time the ball was going into the sainters fifty, we actually interacted with these guys and it was really funny stuff.You dont get that on tv

Back