Senior Jack Sinclair

Remove this Banner Ad

Sincs has had a pretty good month. Press conference: http://www.saints.com.au/video/2017-06-27/jack-sinclair-press-conference-276

upload_2017-6-28_14-4-33.png

Him and Billings were our clear best at halftime on the weekend and both finished strongly. They're put in some great performances when in the same side. Don't mind passing to each other either!

Attributed form to 'getting some freedom up the ground, I'm a midfielder'.

True that!

I said it in 2015, half tongue in cheek that he was already (in his first season) one of our most important players.

I genuinely believe he is one of our most influential players. Best decision maker in the team - alongside Ross. Best user in the team.

With him and Ross in our midfield, we have the makings of an elite ball using midfield.

What a year he's having , he's gone from vfl player to fringe player to important wing player. His skill is great to watch . He is one of those players who always seems to have more time than others and his disposal with either foot is first class . He will only be better next year.

Photo of Jack at training
45827e180357f7263eb3902b418ffd28.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

7a94f58974469ddb68e487c430ae2168.png

Cats out of the bag. Jack is a star.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As much as I like it I would have thought Kelly would have been ahead of Sinclair but I'll take it .

I thought Rance played more at Centre Half Back , which would mean someone like Lever or even Carlisle to be full back .

Robbo played a better Half Back role than Rich from the Lions surely . Who picked this side because they did a crap job . Pertracca didn't do enough to get in the side

Last edited:
As much as I like it I would have thought Kelly would have been ahead of Sinclair but I'll take it .

I thought Rance played more at Centre Half Back , which would mean someone like Lever or even Carlisle to be full back .

Robbo played a better Half Back role than Rich from the Lions surely . Who picked this side because they did a crap job . Pertracca didn't do enough to get in the side

Sides based on AFL Ranking Points which is a separate formula to Champion Data and Dream Team.

It's somewhat more controversial than the other two I reckon. I think when we played Collingwood they had the 5 best players on the ground according to ranking points?

Also I think there's less players categorised as 'Wingers' which is why Sincs and Hall probably got in ahead of just slapping Kelly or Zerrett on the wing.

Not downplaying his year at all, he's been magnificent and it's nice to have a true winger in the side. Instead of just filling the team with pure mids/rovers (as the AA do).

While it is not something Jack Sinclair ever looks forward to, it is something that lingers in the back of his head over the break, waiting to be crossed off the list on day one.

He is talking about the dreaded three-kilometre time-trial, of course; the traditional start to most pre-season programs around the competition.

The 22-year-old set the pace in the time-trial on the opening day of the pre-season for St Kilda’s first to fourth-year players, before finishing narrowly behind Ed Phillips and Daniel McKenzie in third place.

“It is tough first up; it’s certainly one you’re not looking forward to, but it’s one you’re happy to get out of the way,” Sinclair told saints.com.au on Wednesday.

“Pretty much all of the boys got some good results so we’ve got off to a good start, which is the start we wanted.”

After being forced to bide his time in the VFL at the start of 2017, Sinclair broke into Alan Richardson’s side for the trip to Launceston in Round 6 and never wore Sandringham colours again, playing the final 17 games in a breakout season.

“It certainly does give me confidence just knowing that I do really belong,” Sinclair said.

“I’ll still be looking to improve my game this pre-season; there are still a lot of areas that I’d like to get better at to ultimately help the rest of the team.”

With the first test of the pre-season out of the way, the young group of Saints departed for a two-day camp in Yea (a town in central Victoria) where they will map out their individual programs with Matt Hornsby and the high performance team.

In the absence of St Kilda’s elder statesmen, Sinclair says the camp will provide the next generation with an opportunity to develop their leadership skills and set the tone for the pre-season over the next fortnight.

“It’s a really good chance for some guys to develop their leadership skills, because ultimately that’s what’s going to drive the group forward, especially with some of the holes left by some of the guys who have left the club over the last couple of years,” he said.

6a071cab9cf17ff8560c8ff2b44bb14d.jpg

He may have just produced his best season yet, but St Kilda wingman Jack Sinclair believes he still has plenty of improvement left in him.

After finding himself in and out of the team in 2016, Sinclair found a permanent home on a wing this season, where he played the final 17 games and averaged career-high numbers across the board for disposals (20.8), uncontested possessions, (12.6) score involvements (6.0) and inside 50s (2.7).

The 22-year-old, who was rewarded with a two-year contract extension in July, said a move from a forward pocket to a wing was behind his rise during the winter.

“It was a big improvement on my first couple of years, but I still feel like I’ve got plenty more improvement left in me,” Sinclair told Melbourne radio station 3AW on Tuesday night.

“I was pretty happy with my season overall. I spent a lot more time in the midfield playing on the wing and I think that position suited me pretty well.”

After missing a large chunk of the past 18 months due to foot injuries, highly rated key defender Hugh Goddard began the pre-season with the rest of the Saints’ first to fourth-year players last week, in a major step towards his return to senior football.

“Hughie has been travelling really well,” Sinclair said.

“He joined in with the main group for the first day back which is really exciting for him given he’s had a few injuries over the course of the last 18 months. So it’s great to see him back out on the track.”

If St Kilda is going to leap from the fringe of the eight to feature in September in 2018, Sinclair says the Saints must close the gap between their best and worst over the summer to return to the finals stage for the first time since 2011.

“I think for us the biggest thing is our consistency – the gap between our best and worst in the last few years is clearly too great if we want to get to where we want to get to,” he said.

“There are quite a few things we can do to bridge that gap, but the main thing we’ve been speaking about is just that opportunity for consistency.

“We know our best footy can match it with anyone. That game against Richmond was pretty amazing to be a part of, but the next week we came back to Etihad and got pumped by the Bombers.”
28989f607b8017f4bbb1449a733f316d.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back