Jacqui Lambie Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Where is the top of that curve?

When one person owns everything and can make the rest of the world build an incredible super-car never before imagined, and that only he can afford, does the world become a paradise?

As long as those people developing and facilitating the production are capable of charging an amount that supports a lifestyle in line with their skills then it's fine. If the people are forced to accept being paid nothing or all being paid the same so the few can benefit - then it's a problem. As long as the benefits developed out of that process can be enjoyed by all, it's good. Let's say a billionaire is trying to land humans on other rocks orbiting Sol, with significant engineering and other scientific hurdles that need inventions for the project to work. If that process leads to the development of solar panels that are 50% efficient the world enjoys that benefit.

The default status of humanity is that almost everyone is broke, broke being devoid of surplus resources with which they can commit time to develop improvements with very few people able to spend time away from surviving until tomorrow. Taking a look back through history many of the scientific minds and inventors were quite well to do people exploring curiosity with the benefit of wealth behind them to support that.

... most people today in Australia, almost all, live more luxurious lives than those people.

Demand is the motivator for supply for luxury items but the other side of that coin is that most people won't ever know what they are missing out on if you remove the wealthy people from the economy. They won't see the cars, the jewelry, the fashion. They won't know better... at least until they see the internet.

Which is why I think so many people now can be fabulously rich on a scale of humanity at this very moment and obscenely wealthy compared to all human life ever - and still feel poor.

As long as those people developing and facilitating the production are capable of charging an amount that supports a lifestyle in line with their skills then it's fine.
Tell us when that happens.

The key phrase there is "their skills". Not that anyone working any job would be able to support a lifestyle they deem to be enough.
You think everyone around the world is paid an appropriate living wage?

You think everyone around the world is paid an appropriate living wage?

Not at all. It's why Australia is such a lovely place to be. You can stand here with absolutely nothing, no skill, no drive, no interest at all in contributing to your own existence and you'll get world class healthcare, education and a living allowance that surpasses the income of a significant portion of the world - and that's before you add the value of the health care and education.

You think everyone in Australia is paid an appropriate living wage?

No but the standard of living in Australia is higher than almost everywhere in the world currently and anytime during human history, even if you found yourself in circumstances that don't lead to you having skills or marketable value to afford the lifestyle you have decided is the base.

The majority of the world is envious of our health care and welfare systems.

Jacqui is as dumb as a box of hammers.

I don't think anyone disagrees we need to raise more tax $s but I think it is generally accepted our income taxes are too high, our consumption taxes too low and our property/ wealth taxes need an overhaul and increased on a tiered basis (low wealth no tax, high wealth high tax)
it was the hypocrisy that got me. she's an empty head populist.

even if you found yourself in circumstances that don't lead to you having skills or marketable value to afford the lifestyle you have decided is the base.
So there is no wage theft and nobody is taken advantage of? Large companies don't skew the employment market?

None of that?

So there is no wage theft and nobody is taken advantage of? Large companies don't skew the employment market?

None of that?

And Australia is still a paradise. The foundations of our history have lead us to being that peak and we shouldn't rush to change anything lest we risk losing it all, as happens in such events.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The topic of discussion is that having wealthy people in the community creates the demand for the nice things people enjoy. The fancier cars, the jetskiis, the jewelry, the coffee machines and other appliances.

You seem intent to pivot the discussion back to the wheelhouse of because everyone doesn't live at the peak of Australian lifestyle then we can't appreciate and recognise the great things we have, which even for the people in the worst situation in Australia is better than almost every human who has ever lived and you'll find most people on the planet rushing to trade places for.

Because Australia is outstanding, our way of life has been built on the traditions and values going back hundreds of years.

And I remember you wanted people who love their country and appreciate the nice things about it to keep quiet, not outwardly show it and instead focus on agreeing with you on complaining about things that aren't perfect yet - but that just builds a negative culture in which nothing is valued that got us here, it has minds open to changing literally everything and rebuilding it - a cold revolution of sorts.

Which is the primary objective of radical left wing politics.

It hasn't yet created a new world for it's people that didn't result in mass suffering and death.

So we should appreciate how lovely Australia is and not try and change it too much lest we ruin it for everyone.

The topic of discussion is that having wealthy people in the community creates the demand for the nice things people enjoy. The fancier cars, the jetskiis, the jewelry, the coffee machines and other appliances.
We need richer rich people so we can enjoy watching them drive their Lambos.

That's what you're saying, right?

And the envy of most of the world now, all of human kind throughout our history.

Western civilization as we now know it has been around for about 100 years, compared to some civilizations that survived for millennia.
There was a dude from one of those civilizations who was the last of his people, who died in the Amazon not long ago.
It's a bit early to start crowing about the success of Western civilization as a civilization just yet.

Why is every discussion with you just reframing what I say to remove the entire point, spinning it into hyperbole and then throwing it back at me?
I'm just trying to get to the core of your argument.

Western civilization as we now know it has been around for about 100 years, compared to some civilizations that survived for millennia.
There was a dude from one of those civilizations who was the last of his people, who died in the Amazon not long ago.
It's a bit early to start crowing about the success of Western civilization as a civilization just yet.

Where humanity currently is in western nations it has never been before. If we have another collapse it will probably never get back here again either because all of our easy power (shallow coal, oil etc) has been used up and we are now requiring heavy machinery to access that cheap energy - which the next civilization won't be able to power.

This is the last go for us. If we cripple our society too much or fall to war such that our ability to produce and replicate current knowledge fails - humanity will be forever in pre-industrial revolution society.

And the quality of life will have fallen off the cliff.

It looks more like you ignore everything said except the one sentence you can spin into something else.

I haven't seen you address any point actually made.
The Western Civ stuff? You're talking to someone else about it.

I'm more trying to figure out what you're saying re the need for rich people.

The Western Civ stuff? You're talking to someone else about it.

I'm more trying to figure out what you're saying re the need for rich people.

You started that discussion by presenting an extreme, hyperbolic example of one person seizing control and requiring the system build them a car.

My point has always been that the rich people in the community attract people who want to sell their nice things to them, so everyone else gets a chance to access those nice things too if they choose to value possession of those nice things over other areas of their lives.

Such as people who choose to live at home longer, buying a nicer first car, fancy pocket computer that makes phone calls and costs two weeks pay. All that lovely stuff that comes with living at the peak of human achievement (to date) is because people who wanted to sell their products, and develop their products, to sell to rich people.

Having more rich people is good for business too. Surplus resources allow development.

We are so lucky to be here, we should protect Australia and our way of life from being hijacked by people who want to rebuild it - since they haven't yet done it in a way that hasn't resulted in mass suffering and death.

You started that discussion by presenting an extreme, hyperbolic example of one person seizing control and requiring the system build them a car.
Yes it's a way to test a claim.

The rest of your post is "we're the best because we are the best".

Rich people destroying the environment, heritage and culture doesn't seem to figure in to this. Driving up housing prices. Wasting resources on cars and houses nobody else can afford.

Rich individuals are needed for surplus for investment? Nothing about collaborative or collective efforts to improve life for everyone?

Nice consumer goods are the only reason a country should think of itself in positive terms?

There are tons of holes in your belief.

Yes it's a way to test a claim.

The rest of your post is "we're the best because we are the best".

Rich people destroying the environment, heritage and culture doesn't seem to figure in to this. Driving up housing prices. Wasting resources on cars and houses nobody else can afford.

Rich individuals are needed for surplus for investment? Nothing about collaborative or collective efforts to improve life for everyone?

Nice consumer goods are the only reason a country should think of itself in positive terms?

There are tons of holes in your belief.

We are the best because it's an objective fact. We have outstanding world class health care on tap for free. We have free education. We have welfare payments that eclipse the average daily wage of most of the planet by an order of magnitude. All of that bundled together makes for a gem that needs to be protected.

Rich people destroying the environment? I put it to you that more damage has been done to the global environment by objectively poor people polluting rivers, burning down rain forest etc than the people operating businesses of which the elite lifestyle we all enjoy is based off. Most of the plastic, as in nearly all of it, in the ocean comes from a handful of rivers in Asia. Those people burning down the Amazon aren't laughing to the bank, they are just trying to make enough to feed their kids.

I get that you need for everything bad to be done by an oppressor and but for enough political will it could be done in a better, cleaner, more equal way - but that's never happened. Ever.

Government has been in power for literally forever and the big housing developments still get built by rich people putting their money at risk.

Nice consumer goods are the signal of a successful society because when you're trying to find enough food to eat you don't have time to sit on a machine and type things.

And again, you twist what I said. How many people would you be comfortable dying if it meant we had a more equal way of life?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back