News Deleted

Remove this Banner Ad

I still remember the day he was drafted. He was ecstatic. Froget what his actual comment was but I got the feeling that this was a guy to be really happy about coming to the AFC.

Great news. Given what they have been through, I reckon it would be really hard for anyone currently on our list to leave their teammates for another club. If the walshy tragedy doesn't unit them nothing will.

I still remember the day he was drafted. He was ecstatic. Froget what his actual comment was but I got the feeling that this was a guy to be really happy about coming to the AFC.
I think I remember something along the lines of, I'm just so happy to have been picked up, as if he'd just gone at pick 30 in the rookie draft

This. At the moment he's playing a 3rd tall role simply due to his lack of bulk. I think he'll be able to become a CHB once he has a couple more pre-seasons and fills out more.

I used to think the same but now I'm not so sure. Playing as a third tall has allowed him the freedom to spoil a lot of aerial contests and I can't remember anyone at our club doing it so often and so well since Bassett, in fact I lost count of how many times I saw him do it against Richmond, and I'm sure Talia and Hartigan appreciate it for how much easier it makes it for them to do their roles. It has also freed him up to double as an offensive threat with that long accurate kick of his. I'm afraid that by transitioning him to a full time CHB might diminish his input in these areas. Perhaps it would best to try and stick with the current structure for the long term and only use Lever as a CHB when one of the other tall defenders is struggling with their opponent on gameday.

The 1st & 2nd years of the deal are set in stone by the AFL. We cannot pay him any more than what it mandated.

The 3rd year is free to whatever discussions. But gives the kid more certainty. Knows whatever happens in Year 2, he's already got a Year 3.

Year 3 will also probably cover a bit of 'back-pay' for expected over-performance in years 1 & 2. I can't recall this type of extension occurring in the past at our club, but it seems like the absolute right thing to do. Just because the AFL sets the draftee salaries, doesn't mean there isn't a way to reward an over-achiever. Well done to us and obviously to Jake for earning it.

I used to think the same but now I'm not so sure. Playing as a third tall has allowed him the freedom to spoil a lot of aerial contests and I can't remember anyone at our club doing it so often and so well since Bassett, in fact I lost count of how many times I saw him do it against Richmond, and I'm sure Talia and Hartigan appreciate it for how much easier it makes it for them to do their roles. It has also freed him up to double as an offensive threat with that long accurate kick of his. I'm afraid that by transitioning him to a full time CHB might diminish his input in these areas. Perhaps it would best to try and stick with the current structure for the long term and only use Lever as a CHB when one of the other tall defenders is struggling with their opponent on gameday.
It will be a good dilemma as to how we beat utilise Jake's talents going forward.

I wonder if his talent for boxing is coming in handy when he goes for those big clearing spoils that fly 30 metres - he's done a few already and they look bad-ass, like here's a guy who is in charge of the backline... THIS IS MY HOUSE!

Hats off to our recruiting team for landing a diamond at pick 14 in last year's draft and our management for extending his maiden contract from 2 to 3 years. He reminds me in many ways of Ben Hart the way he plays and IMO is going to be every bit as good.

Delighted to see him wanting that extra year plus his openness about wanting to be a Crow for his career.

He's a rarity really. A player recovering from an ACL operation AND playing regularly AFL at a really good level both in his first year after Drafting.

Pure gunnage. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched the Snake's presser...
Very impressed, future captain right there (not for a while though, love the Texan!)

head like a cat is probably still my favourite phrase used to describe him, unhealthy man love for this kid already, what a gun.

Gunnnnnn! That bit if play at Adelaide oval where he juked Pav & Pearce in the one play 30m directly in front of their goal(lol) told me right then and there that we have a serious player on our hands.

If he played u18s prior to draft year there's just no way we would have been able to get him, nooot a chance in hell! Pick 14... Bahahaha.

From when he was drafted

"I’m happy to be coming to the Crows. I want to be an Adelaide player for the next 10-15 years.”

http://m.afc.com.au/news/2014-11-28/levers-point-to-prove

Thanks. Interesting article. I forgot that it was only 11 months since his ACL. To think the kid has not lost any confidence from the injury is amazing. I might be biased but he never played the game like a novice coming off a knee reco. With a solid 2 preseasons under his belt and we can start playing him on the 2nd best forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back