Past James Polkinghorne (2007-2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

He has the potential (again, that dirty word) to be a top 10 player at our club, has a bit of toe out of the stoppages, decent cannon on him and yes, he can position himself to receive and carry but the worst thing is he isn't going in hard enough. He is such a well built unit I would love nothing more than to see him bullocking into packs and just hurting opposition, if not with his disposal, then literally. So frustrating.

I have never commented on Polks but.........

Never been a fan, and never will at this rate. Never seen him dominate even 1 quarter which makes you think "this bloke has something". Yeo today showed more potential than Polks ever has. Will not be a premiership player, and while he is getting games we will not get close.

Sorry mate, but in my book your card is marked. Play a young bloke instead.

Round 10 vs West Coast

They kicked eight goals to five in an extraordinary final term and hit the front with 90 seconds remaining courtesy of a James Polkinghorne torpedo that bounced through from 60m.

7325369246_041f61e094.jpg

Link

It seemed only something special was going to finally seal a result in the intriguing game - and Polkinghorne produced in the dying minutes.

Moments after West Coast's Jack Darling was somehow denied a goal by desperate Lions defence at the other end, Polkinghorne launched a remarkable 60m torpedo kick that snatched back the lead.

And that's how it stayed as the Lions notched a win over a top-eight side for the first time since round 10, 2010.

7326364222_e64e3cba01.jpg

Link

James Polkinghorne, take a bow. A magnificent match was capped off with a magnificent kick - a thumping torp that would have had Michael Blight's moustache bristling back in the 1970s. The kick sealed the fate of the game, capping off a remarkable comeback for the Lions who were 21 points down early in the last term.

7325460626_1abd85718c.jpg

Video: Torp is tops

Had a ripper :D

I'm sure eating humble pie this week. :eek:

Great to see him looking so happy. Last week, no matter what happened, he looked down. Hopefully this was the confidence boost he needed.

Ill eat my own words, I was a critic of Polks, honestly didn't think he deserved to be in the best 22 for the last 4 weeks. Lets hope the confidence he found today continues on, a great game and the torp at the end summed up his whole day

great long goal. Hats off to him for that..but was still found wanting at times. Needs to keep improving and not rest on his few impact plays toda.

Still needs to perform consistantly to earn his plave in the team

Daniel Rich

The look on James Polkinghorne's face said it all. Then again, only the most loyal - or delusional - Brisbane Lions supporter would have predicted an upset two-point win over AFL leaders West Coast Eagles at the Gabba on Sunday.
Yet Polkinghorne's booming 60m kick in the dying minutes ensured just that - even though he couldn't quite believe it himself.
"It's gone through and I looked over and he was in shock," inspirational Lions midfielder Daniel Rich laughed.

7325429680_c24d3b9a20.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Confidence is probably the reason he hasn't been dropped to this point. What could be gained by him finding his feet finally at the top level is probably greater than getting a few games into a youngster.

Interesting that Voss made a beeline for him at three quarter time.

Someone mentioned that Voss went to him at 3 qtr time. There is obviously something there that Voss loves, and really Polka has plenty of tools to be a weapon, just can't seem to get it together for some reason.

Maybe Voss wanted to talk to him about "Operation: Bring back the Torp"

Browny spoke to the players at half time, just before they went into the rooms and voss walked over to it and grabbed polls when brown had finished and said something to him. Anyone else notice it? it seemed as if he was praising him

Ill eat my own words, I was a critic of Polks, honestly didn't think he deserved to be in the best 22 for the last 4 weeks. Lets hope the confidence he found today continues on, a great game and the torp at the end summed up his whole day

it's about time polks stepped up & showed us what he can do. a good game overall (it's always great to be the one who kicks the winning goal), but he did go missing for large chunks of the game.

i'm with those who say we need to see this effort more consistently over four quarters, but none-the-less a great effort yesterday when it counted & when it was needed.

10 Things Robbo Likes (Round 10)

5. James Polkinghorne

Childhood dreams are booting the winner with a torp from 65m in an eight-goal final quarter to knock over the June champs. And the joy on his face at the siren was priceless. But Polkinghorne's inspiration wasn't the single headline act at the Gabba. Josh Green's three goals as the sub, Redden (15 tackles) and Rich in the middle, Drummond and Adcock, the kids Zorko and Golby, and Big Ben in the ruck, among others. Great, great win.

Winning torp was 'instinct'
By Michael Whiting
1:01 PM Mon 04 Jun, 2012

JAMES Polkinghorne was still in shock the day after he let fly with his match-winning 60m torpedo against League leaders West Coast at the Gabba.

Speaking at the Lions' recovery session on Monday morning, Polkinghorne said the moment was still a blur.

"I just saw the goals and went for it, it was a bit of an instinct thing," he said.

"It was lucky it came off. I shank a few so maybe it was my time to hit one sweet.

"It seemed to get the sweet spot and it stayed straight. I was a bit shocked as well."

7332871300_3a0d7235f1.jpg

Certainly a great finish. The best part about the last goal was the fact that he went in hit the deck got the ball out of the contest and then got up for the handball receive and the goal. The finish was great but it was the lead up work that showed why we all want him to hit the heights we know he can produce.

Hopefully this gives him the confidence he needs to develop into the player we know he can. Players with big hard bodies like his and the ability to kick off both feet from 50 don't' grow on trees.

Lets hope he comes out next match and builds on this one because as said before he has had great games in the past, only to disappear again a week later.

Hopefully fulfilling a childhood dream like he did leads onto bigger and better things.

I'll be honest, after being a Polkinghorne defender for a while, I started to turn on him after the game against the Roos. Every touch yesterday I was willing him not to shank it so I didn't lose more confidence in him- thanks for not letting me down. Good three goals, played his role. Would like to see him start pushing the 20s for average possessions. Hopefully this will get his confidence up and he will start putting in more displays that influence the contest in the right way.

Would like to see him start pushing the 20s for average possessions.

Yeah, he made his possessions count a lot more, but only 14 possessions is still a bit of a worry. I would like to see him get a lot more of it before I'm convinced he's turned the corner. I'm thrilled for him to be able to experience a match winning moment (something he will cherish forever), but in the back of my mind I fear it won't be long until he's under the pump again.

The 3 goals, including a match winner, certainly make the 14 possessions look a lot better. I was over the moon for Polks, but as Grim said, that possession count needs to become higher - Unless he can manage 3 goals a week!

What's so frustrating is that if he did manage 20-25 touches a game he could become really damaging.

The 3 goals, including a match winner, certainly make the 14 possessions look a lot better. I was over the moon for Polks, but as Grim said, that possession count needs to become higher - Unless he can manage 3 goals a week!

What's so frustrating is that if he did manage 20-25 touches a game he could become really damaging.

Over the last 2 seasons a fair bit of Polks possessions are inside 50's and he is also used as a negating midfielder, would have to change his role to rack up the stats. He doesn't have the best disposal of the footy as well. We generally don't over possess the ball so we can't have all our midfielders getting 20-25 possessions, I would prefer to continue seeing Golby, Hanley, Rich, Redden, Rockliff and Black getting the 20-30 possessions a week than players like Polkinghorne and Bewick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back