News Jarrod Lienert signs for North Melbourne VFL

Remove this Banner Ad

1st gamer almost the most composed bloke out there. We will soon knock that out of him
What I was thinking. Having seen Houston, Howard and Bonner crawl back into their shells after great early games I am concerned. Houston looks to have turned back to his early good form so hopefully any drop off(if there is one) will only be temporary.

A great debut game by Jarrod. Soooo cool in many sticky situations. Only one criticism, well it’s not really a criticism, because he was following instructions from more experienced players who were sticking to our frustrating “team rules”.
During the middle of the last quarter when we were still two straight kicks from regaining the lead, Jarrod had the ball on the eastern side half back flank. The “old” and well proven Port Adelaide way would have been a long kick deep into our forward lines to keep up the team’s momentum. The giants would have been still setting up their defence.
But no, team rules took over and the ball was switched to the western side half back flank so our venture into our forward line was delayed while the giants had time to set themselves up. A missed opportunity.
The good thing about Jarrod was that his original body language showed that he was prepared to go the “old” Port Adelaide way. A few more games under his belt will certainly do him no harm.

He grabbed the opportunity to play in the firsts with both hands. A first gamer shouldn't look more accomplished than his more experienced team-mates in defence but he did. Looked quite at home playing at the top level. I think we may have found a good defender here, with the bonus of picking him up at a bargain basement price.

Like Clurey before him performed solidly in the 2s to the point his AFL call-up seemed seriously overdue. Glad to see him perform so well.
Here here and not before time. I'm glad he's done well too, my Q is what took so long. If Billy gets a go this week and does well
then Ken's judgement/blind loyalty needs to be questioned. I'd be surprised if he does especially as a ruckman because I've thought
he'd make a good key defender especially at CHB.

He frees up Howard to play in ruck or up forward.

His debut game was excellent. Not sure yet how he'd go on an A Grade tall forward, but as a third tall back option, he's good to go.

I’d still like to see him in a Midfeild utility role, not dissimilar to what Westhoff does.

Here here and not before time. I'm glad he's done well too, my Q is what took so long. If Billy gets a go this week and does well
then Ken's judgement/blind loyalty needs to be questioned. I'd be surprised if he does especially as a ruckman because I've thought
he'd make a good key defender especially at CHB.

He missed around 2 months with a knee injury and was played after 2 games back. He would have been picked sooner if not injured.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He frees up Howard to play in ruck or up forward.

His debut game was excellent. Not sure yet how he'd go on an A Grade tall forward, but as a third tall back option, he's good to go.

He's got the game to keep a good tall forward out of the game by starving him of the ball. He certainly comes across as more athletic than some. Like any defender he would be found out on the occasions a midfielder can get him under the ball for a taller forward to come over him but if he can keep one-on-ones to a minimum I don't see why he couldn't beat anybody.

This is a great read :thumbsu:

Anatomy of a debut: Lienert

Playing my first game yesterday was a chance to reflect on how far I’ve come.

To miss out on the draft as an 18-year-old, then waiting two and a half years to play in my first league game with Sturt — the club my dad played 134 games with — and then to finally cement my spot in their side in 2016 and win a flag, to playing against GWS at the Adelaide Oval. It has been a ride filled with ups and downs.

I was 21 in 2015, and my sole focus was to play seniors at Sturt. Playing AFL wasn’t even a thought in my mind, so to think that I would debut at AFL level in 2018 is pretty remarkable and beyond my wildest dreams.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2018-07-24/anatomy-of-a-debut-lienert

The good Jasper.

He's literally opposite land Jasper.

Its only one game at AFL level, but he looks better than the good Pittard to me (although I see how the comparison is logical).

Not as quick, but a better kick, taller and (partly as a result) much better in the air than Pittard. His composure under pressure appears to be what really separates him from Pittard.

I still believe speed is sometimes overrated. Its exciting to watch sure. However quick decision making, disposal to advantage and agility in tight spaces are probably more important I'd argue (maybe Polec is the exception that proves the rule, whatever that dumb expression is meant to mean). Add to that running to the right places, instead of running into trouble, as Pittard is prone to do.

Take Robbie Gray and most of the Hawthorn football club over the past decade. Elite, but definitely not quick by any stretch of the imagination. However they have all the abilities I have stated above.

This is a great read :thumbsu:

Anatomy of a debut: Lienert

Playing my first game yesterday was a chance to reflect on how far I’ve come.

To miss out on the draft as an 18-year-old, then waiting two and a half years to play in my first league game with Sturt — the club my dad played 134 games with — and then to finally cement my spot in their side in 2016 and win a flag, to playing against GWS at the Adelaide Oval. It has been a ride filled with ups and downs.

I was 21 in 2015, and my sole focus was to play seniors at Sturt. Playing AFL wasn’t even a thought in my mind, so to think that I would debut at AFL level in 2018 is pretty remarkable and beyond my wildest dreams.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2018-07-24/anatomy-of-a-debut-lienert

Most here were praising him for that kick to Dixon, which I was quiet on as I was convinced he'd actually shanked it and just got lucky. Sure enough:
Funnily enough, I was praised for a kicked inside 50 in the third term that found Charlie Dixon on the lead, but truth be told, it was a bit of a miss-kick!

Most here were praising him for that kick to Dixon, which I was quiet on as I was convinced he'd actually shanked it and just got lucky. Sure enough:
If his mis-kicks can be that good I look forward to many more of them.

Jarrod should tweet he misspoke and what he meant to say was that he didn't not mean to do it. Y'know that double negative thing. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back