Jay Schulz

Remove this Banner Ad

This thread is quickly degenerating into a Port v Richmond discussion about how youthful our sides are and who's closest to a flag. Time will tell but both clubs are currently playing determined, honest footy under enthusiastic, disciplined young coaches.

The Schulz v Farmer trade has worked well for both sides THIS year - end of story. We let go of Farmer pretty quickly and while he has limitations, he is playing some good footy, supported by a coach who has faith in him. Alot of Port supporters bristle when Farmer gets praised, because they claim that we didn't have room for him in our backline. Well that's nonsense because we have half-a-dozen mediocre mid-sized players who have a NTTAWWTteenth of the footy courage and defensive ability that he does.

However, Schulz has come in and has served us well this year. From the preseason no-one could quesiton his determination and second efforts. What he's added in the last 5-6 weeks is a terrific marking presence and a very accurate setshot for goal. Port supporters will be delighted if Schulz keeps kicking 1.5-2 goals per game for the next 50 matches, because we have a young kid in the wings that we believe will be the main go to man by 2013, ala J. Riewoldt - John Butcher. Schulz's role will be to keep us competitive over the next 2 seasons and if our midfield can get its act together, he might just have a few more big goalkicking games.

Rodan is a different matter. He complements the consistent, workhorse players we have like Kane Cornes, Cassisi and Matt Thomas. On more than the odd occasion he has split games open for us and 15-20 touches seems to be enough for him to make a major impact on our side. I think to call him a superstar (as per Dwayne Russell yesterday) is way over the top, but he is anything but mediocre.

Always liked Schulz. His kicking at goal is up there with the best in the comp and hes now finally having enough shots. I think hes benefiting from having the likes of Ebert around him. Another leading option that takes some of the pressure away from him

Loved the big bloke when he was at Richmond, IMO always showed that he had what it takes to be a great FF for us, but unfortunately, always lead to the same spot as Richo and both were always getting in each others way. The club miss used him, and to be honest, whilst Jack Riewoltd has stepped it up and shown he will be a great player, I am very disapointed we ditched Schulz, a player like Farmer is a dime a dozen, and more so when our next "big" key forward apart from Jack , has kicked about 3-4 goals for the year (Griffiths), it shows how much Schulz would be valuable.

I may hate Port with a passion, but they are a lot closer to a flag than Richmond. Should I put my money on the club who has made finals twice in over 20 years, or the club who was successful as any last decade? Hmmm...
You hate Port with a passion?
No doubt because of their SANFL history and bad blood between other SANFL clubs?
But most people and including yourself more than likely continue to belt on how the AFL Port are not the real Port Adelaide etc etc which if that were the case,no hatred should be shown in the direction of Port Adelaide theoretically????

Lol.

You think you're the only club with good young players? Port have just as many young players. They also have a good core group of 22-24 year olds that have had lots of games put into them over the last 4 or so years. Yes, I know that this may seem old for a club in constant rebuild, but hear me out.
Age, Games
Salopek(25, 109)
Pearce(24, 111)
Chaplin(24, 97)
Surjan(24, 100)
Carlile(23, 70)
Gray(22, 42)
Boak(21, 65)
Stewart(23, 35)

It's a better group than Richmond have. Deledio, Graham and Riewoldt are the highlights.

Richmond's lot in that age group:

Foley (24, 88)
Jackson (24, 80)
Thursfield (24, 64)
McGuane (23, 68)
Graham (23, 28)
Deledio (23, 123)
Riewoldt (21, 63)
Edwards (21, 64)

I won't get into a pissing contest about who's is better but Richmond's group is as good as Port's.

FWIW both sides are miles away from a flag. Brisbane and West Coast are the only two teams that could be considered furthur away.

No doubt that he is now playing his best footy to date, though. Most consecutive games of one or more goals:

17 Daniel Bradshaw
15 Jack Riewoldt
14 Josh Hill
14 Steve Johnson
13 Brett Ebert
11 Jay Schulz
11 Lance Franklin
11 Taylor Walker

He's been dropped 4 times in that streak though. 1 goal is hardly a good effort.

Great to see the Sarge starting to put together some semblance of consistency. Hopefully he can sustain it for the remainder of the year (barring Round 22 of course) and into the future. Like Dave Rodan, a really likeable player who needed a new environment in which to flourish. There's no doubt that he had a real crack at Tigerland, but just couldn't find his niche or self-belief.

Farmer is better. At only 20-21 years of age he has fairly good skills and a long kick. He has a good vertical leap and is really hard at it. He just needs more games to put it all together. Nason is a great flanker and his only limitation is his ability to put on size.

Both are young and have more improvement and potential left in them. More time to iron out deficiencies in their games. Rodan and Shultz are older and are at their peak. Soon they are going to start to get worse as they hit the later 20's/early 30's. I know which two I would rather have. Especially when your team is looking to build to a premiership in 3-4 years. Richmond are miles ahead of Port and those who disagree are delusional.

I say it how it is. We have new facilities in construction, the right men in power from the top to the bottom, great recruitment team, and lots of talented young players aged 24 and under compared to Port who are just cleaning out their list in the worst of times. We also have a greater money making capacity than Port. Call me a troll all you like but we are going to be better than you and thats how I see it. Port are a joke in terms of their club and list structure.

Why is Nason in this discussion and what has he got to do with the PAFC?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have fun with our trash in Meyer, Rodan, and Shultz. They are mediocre players that are average at best. They wont take you to a flag. They would not get a spot in our team due to age or clear deficiencies in skills and were moved on for good reason.

Lets be honest Richmond look on track for success more than Port. Going after Richmond hacks and turning them into C-Graders is one of the many reasons why.

Mitch Farmer is better than all of those players and will be better. Has much better skills than them all. Same with Ben Nason at the rate he is going. You did screw us over with the Thompson trade but that was under Wallace. Not the current Heirachy structure which is superior to Ports.

Rodan is a star and Schulz is a great replacement for Tredrea. Correct on Meyer but he was rookie listed?

Bitter as mate.

ahhh good ol shulzy, miss him taking screamers on the wing for us
That IMO has been Schulz's issue in the past.
He is best suited to the main KPP role as he attacks everything ferociously, is a very good grab and can kick the ball. However both at Richmond and Port he has had to play in unsuitable roles due to Richo and Tredrea. Now that he is the main go to KPP he is starring.

Schulz took a little while to settle in, but is really benefiting from a change of club. He's only 25, and along with D Stewart yesterday really looks like he'll benefit from what appears to be a more direct style from Primus (if he continues next year).

Who really cares if Port or Richmond are closest to a Premiership. At the end of the day it was a great trade, which was really a punt, for both players and both clubs. Farmer wasn't doing much at Port and probably had too many players ahead of him in his defense position. At the start of the year who'd have thought either of them would go on to do as well as they have at their new clubs. Chances are both would have been playing reserves if they hadn't moved.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back