Player Watch Jeremy Finlayson

Remove this Banner Ad

Play him as a lead up forward not a bomb it on his head forward.
The is no room for lead up forwards in Hinkley's game plan. If he can't handle having the ball bombed on his head in a three on one he won't get another game.

Even when he's been s**t he's shown great forward craft and ability to find space for us, his skills have just been off. He just needs to consistently hold his marks and convert his shots like he has been today and he'll be very valuable.

At the moment I think he's the one to go when Charlies back - but we'll see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can see Charlie going when Ken gets sacked and to be honest, I think under a new coach and a better forward system I don’t mind the trio of Finlayson, Marshall, Georgiades.
Nah we need a proper forward/ruck to make it work I think.

Half the problem with Charlie is that he is the ruck sized forward who doesn't ruck making it harder to squeeze in a genuine forward/ruck.

We need one of Lord and Vinsentini to be that bail out kick that keeps a defender deep and frees up space for the lead ups.

I can see Charlie going when Ken gets sacked and to be honest, I think under a new coach and a better forward system I don’t mind the trio of Finlayson, Marshall, Georgiades.
I'm thinking this as well. To be honest, probably the best outcome for all parties. Not to mention we have Lord developing nicely in the twos

Great to see him get some confidence after what has been a shocking start to the season. Got involved in the play plenty and the 5 goals were well deserved.

Given the lack of true small forwards on Port's list, a quadrangle of Dixon, Marshall, Georgiades and Finlayson with Hayes as lead ruck could definitely work provided Charlie is willing to do the 2nd ruck duties. Having Charlie back in the next 4-6 weeks should really give lots more opportunities to the other tall forwards once teams have to double Charlie deep in the forward 50.

This sounds like fantastic news for Kellie and Jeremy - fingers crossed:

New life, near death and a medical miracle: Jeremy Finlayson and partner Kellie open up to Mark Robinson​

Jeremy Finlayson and partner Kellie had a baby in August last year and, in October, they arrived at Port Adelaide. But what happened next turned their lives upside down.

In November, a tennis ball-sized cancer was found in Kellie’s colon and rectum, and it could not be removed by surgery.

It demanded life-saving rounds of chemotherapy and radiation.

In March, scans showed the tumor had disappeared.

Throughout this ordeal, Finlayson joined his new football club, completed pre-season training despite living in a haze of fear and forebode, and somehow managed to play in Round 1.

Some days and nights he would find a room to cry — at home or at the footy club — and for weeks on end would hear a ravaged Kellie cry herself to sleep, too weak and too sick to cradle and breast feed her new-born daughter.
Near death, Kellie found a miracle.

(skip heaps, which you can read in the link below)

Finally, on March 8 after long-awaited second PET scan, they received the miracle news.
Kellie: “I was in the hospital and just about to have another round of chemo and the surgeon said, ‘do you want the good or the bad news?’

“I said, ‘the bad news’. He said, ‘well, you’ve got to get the chemo, sorry, but the good news is it’s gone’. I said, ‘what’s gone’, and he said ‘nothing has shown up, it’s gone’. It was a miracle.

“He’s just had another young guy from up north who came down to have surgery, with the exact same treatment plan as me, and his cancer had doubled. Mine was completely gone.

“There’s no answer as to why, it’s just that the chemo reacted to me.”

Jeremy was training at the time. He got Kellie’s text two hours later. It read: “It’s gone.” Jeremy text back: “What?”

Kellie’s last chemo session was Monday week ago and her next PET scan is in two weeks.

Her next major surgery is in June to remove her bowel, which will require 10 days in hospital and four weeks’ rest in bed. She will be wearing the colostomy bag until September.

Kellie: “Mentally, I think I’m good. If you asked five weeks ago, I was not good because they told me it was done and I had to go through chemo again. It was the sickest I’ve ever been that week.”

Jeremy: “This talk has been great because we haven’t talked about how we’ve felt about it in the house. Hopefully, this gives other people hope. It’s been crazy.”

( from Herald Sun )

I remember being highly critical of his early season form. A timely reminder that we often have no idea what might be happening behind the scenes. Fantastic news for Kellie and the family.

So true. He had frustrated me too, as you said just goes to show we know so little of what is really happening in player's lives.

Great news and now the family can concentrate on a happy future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back