Player Watch Jeremy Finlayson

Remove this Banner Ad

Confirms the old Animal Farm theory .
Everyone is equal but some are more equal than others
Where's old mate when you need him that was posting the Pink Floyd tracks in here the other day?

Chuck the whole Animals album in. * I love David Gilmour

The thing that would irk me is the counseling bit that is part of the penalty. I reckon I could cop the penalty buit the counselling bit is purely the AFL covering it's fat arse with some window dressing. If anyone asks they can point to an errant player being set on the right path with counselling.
I agree. the whole response is over the top. Firstly he put his hand straight up and said "I did the wrong thing". I don't know but from what I gather he doesn't have history of this behaviour or other "unbecoming" behaviour? 3 weeks is way over the top, if you contest you fill your sentence, if you accept you get a week less. I mean clearly a week benefit's us, but I honestly don't think it's necessary. I'm female, and I am getting so bloody fed up with the politically correctness decisions and postering over every blip! Surely a fine for a first offence is enough? (and since we all got the other boards message, I didn't come to laugh, I really came to sympathize. cheers)

How many people actually believe all the Football People, particularly those from the 40 plus generation actually believe the "this form of language is totally unacceptable and has no place in the game or society in general crappola"? I guarantee most of them would be using this type of language when they aren't parroting the AFL's company line. GUARANTEE IT.

How many people actually believe all the Football People, particularly those from the 40 plus generation actually believe the "this form of language is totally unacceptable and has no place in the game or society in general crappola"? I guarantee most of them would be using this type of language when they aren't parroting the AFL's company line. GUARANTEE IT.
I’m 40+ and think anyone that uses the F word is a total campaigner and would let them know it.

As a 40+ I genuinely didn’t see the Clarkson comment as homophobic, but that’s a different issue. There’s no grey are with what Finlayson said.

It just irks me that the AFL are consistently bringing out the big stick when the team is interstate but woe is the AFL when their beloved players from the big teams foul up and the Vic media find all sorts of reasons why the actions were forgivable cos of circumstances.

We should accept the penalty and move on from that.

What we should be outraged about is that Port (and particularly Port's indigenous players) are routinely used as the precedent setters (indeed, some would say the scapegoats) for stances the AFL wish to take. Proof:

2005 Byron Pickett's bump gets an (at the time) unprecedented 6 week ban where many previous cases did not. To that point you could get half hour videos showcasing white, Victorian based players performing bumps of similar ilk that went unpunished

2015 Sam Powell-Pepper's minor night club indiscretion attracts an AFL investigation and penalty but later, De Goey is charged with sexual assault and even after he reaches a financial settlement with his victim, no AFL investigation is launched or penalty is imposed

2024 Sam Powell-Pepper's reflex bump gets 4 games as a precedent setter while Maynard's reflex bump which ends a player's career virtually 3 games earlier goes unpunished

2024 Jeremy Finlayson saying "f*****" gets 3 games while shortly before Angry Midget Clarkson's equally homophobic "c***sucker" comment gets no immediate suspension. This is despite Clarkson's many previous misdemeanours and the fact that his comments crossed the taboo line of player official interaction and were therefore worse (as I said above compare Player A grabbing opposition Player B by the scruff of the neck to Player A grabbing opposition Coach B by the scruff of the neck or Coach B grabbing opposition Player A by the scruff of the neck- that's what makes Clarkson's act 10 times worse than Finlayson's).

I do not debate the penalties handed out to the 4 Port indigenous players in any of the above cases. I simply call out the hypocrisy that lies behind the AFL's position. They wait until an indigenous player from a "smaller" non Victorian club transgresses before making a stance on issues.

Excuse me people can be born alcoholics or addicts. It is classified as a disease.
People have a choice if they start using substance's or if they drink alcohol.

Anyway, this thread is living proof why so many LGBTI+ people either don't like or hate football, don't want to get involved in it or walk away from it. People will jump through hoops to justify what was said.

It just irks me that the AFL are consistently bringing out the big stick when the team is interstate but woe is the AFL when their beloved players from the big teams foul up and the Vic media find all sorts of reasons why the actions were forgivable cos of circumstances.
Watch Degoey be let off only for a non Vic player to be "made an example of"

Port might be gutless but at least the AFLPA has come out swinging for Finlayson
Thank you Paul Marsh for doing what our gutless CEO was too weak to do.

Of course it’s important he comes out and acknowledges Jezza’s mistake and the impact it has on the LGBTIQ community, but any leader worth his salt would have also acknowledged the disproportionate punishment compared to the precedent set only a few weeks ago with Clarkson.

This club really is run by a bunch of spineless timewasters.

Attachments

• IMG_3390.jpeg
    IMG_3390.jpeg
    406.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3391.jpeg
    IMG_3391.jpeg
    231.4 KB · Views: 54
We should accept the penalty and move on from that.

What we should be outraged about is that Port (and particularly Port's indigenous players) are routinely used as the precedent setters (indeed, some would say the scapegoats) for stances the AFL wish to take. Proof:

2005 Byron Pickett's bump gets an (at the time) unprecedented 6 week ban where many previous cases did not. To that point you could get half hour videos showcasing white, Victorian based players performing bumps of similar ilk that went unpunished

2015 Sam Powell-Pepper's minor night club indiscretion attracts an AFL investigation and penalty but later, De Goey is charged with sexual assault and even after he reaches a financial settlement with his victim, no AFL investigation is launched or penalty is imposed

2024 Sam Powell-Pepper's reflex bump gets 4 games as a precedent setter while Maynard's reflex bump which ends a player's career virtually 3 games earlier goes unpunished

2024 Jeremy Finlayson saying "f*****" gets 3 games while shortly before Angry Midget Clarkson's equally homophobic "c***sucker" comment gets no immediate suspension. This is despite Clarkson's many previous misdemeanours and the fact that his comments crossed the taboo line of player official interaction and were therefore worse (as I said above compare Player A grabbing opposition Player B by the scruff of the neck to Player A grabbing opposition Coach B by the scruff of the neck or Coach B grabbing opposition Player A by the scruff of the neck- that's what makes Clarkson's act 10 times worse than Finlayson's).

I do not debate the penalties handed out to the 4 Port indigenous players in any of the above cases. I simply call out the hypocrisy that lies behind the AFL's position. They wait until an indigenous player from a "smaller" non Victorian club transgresses before making a stance on issues.

Agree, 3 weeks is way over the top. I'm shocked. I remember after the picket incident. He got 6. Bickley broke Waiklins jaw and got 5.

Finlayson, 3 weeks for something that the majority of football supporters could not give 2 stuffs of f##k all about. A $ fine would have been sufficient.

Some people in the victim hood industry and those that pander to it need to be told to pull their heads in and bugger off. Oh am I allowed to say that. Give me a break.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m 40+ and think anyone that uses the F word is a total campaigner and would let them know it.

See, this sort of comment is where the outrage goes over the top. Finlayson isn't automatically a "total campaigner" because he used a homophobic term in a crass manner as a general insult. Yes he's an idiot, yes he's insensitive. But he's not an irredeemably awful human being because he called someone that word on a football field.

People aren't perfect - and those who claim to be are usually the worst of all. Take a step back and realise that people make mistakes and that Jeremy is very likely a great husband, father, son, friend, etc, possibly even to people who are gay themselves. He will learn from this and I for one do not regard him as a "total campaigner" because of one word he uttered.

No one has a choice has a choice being born gay. I can tell you that first hand. People however do have a choice to start using substances. And you've chosen the dickhead route.
Where am I even comparing the two but if you want to sure.?.To suggest people who are dealing with mental illness / PTSD and other disorders which results in them taking illicit substances as a coping mechanism after exhausting all other options is a "choice" would be a stretch as well and yes 100% vilification.

Not abusing your opponent full stop irregardless of their story would be a good start. There shouldn't be a sliding scale if they want to be consistent.

Last edited:
See, this sort of comment is where the outrage goes over the top. Finlayson isn't automatically a "total campaigner" because he used a homophobic term in a crass manner as a general insult. Yes he's an idiot, yes he's insensitive. But he's not an irredeemably awful human being because he called someone that word on a football field.

People aren't perfect - and those who claim to be are usually the worst of all. Take a step back and realise that people make mistakes and that Jeremy is very likely a great husband, father, son, friend, etc, possibly even to people who are gay themselves. He will learn from this and I for one do not regard him as a "total campaigner" because of one word he uttered.
He is when he uses the word.
Total was probably the wrong word to use. Should have said ‘is acting like a total campaigner’.

Agree, 3 weeks is way over the top. I'm shocked. I remember after the picket incident. He got 6. Bickley broke Waiklins jaw and got 5.

Finlayson, 3 weeks for something that the majority of football supporters could not give 2 stuffs of f##k all about. A $ fine would have been sufficient.

Some people in the victim hood industry and those that pander to it need to be told to pull their heads in and bugger off. Oh am I allowed to say that. Give me a break.

I think you'd be wrong in your assertion a majority of football supporters don't care about players using the word ******.

Unless the Essendon player said 'please call me a f****t', I'm not sure what difference it would make. Slurs are not an acceptable response to provocation.
Well we don’t know what was said.
His comment was picked up the Essendon players wasn’t.
There’s no way a player is going to say he said ….. to me first.
Finn has to cop it but the instigator as normal gets away with it.

That’s kind of the point, you don’t know. So we need to listen to those that do.
You’ll never know the hurt that such a slur can cause, and that’s great for you. But as a Christian you have a duty to ensure those that are hurt be protected.
I agree with you, however I'm also of the view that there are too many people who think that anything can be said / implied / generalised / slandered / etc about "middle aged white heterosexual Christian males" without a second thought or care.

Thank you Paul Marsh for doing what our gutless CEO was too weak to do.

Of course it’s important he comes out and acknowledges Jezza’s mistake and the impact it has on the LGBTIQ community, but any leader worth his salt would have also acknowledged the disproportionate punishment compared to the precedent set only a few weeks ago with Clarkson.

This club really is run by a bunch of spineless timewasters.

Our board and admin are AFL plants, of course they won't bite the hand that feeds

Excuse me people can be born alcoholics or addicts. It is classified as a disease.
Some people or born into a abusive environment and illicit substances are their only perceived way out of that trauma.
And yes children are born everyday with methamphetamine addictions. You can't assume anything so there should be a zero tolerance for this as well. Yes some players take the piss out of it recreationally (I'd say many do) but plenty have substance abuse disorders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back