Player Watch Joe Richards

Remove this Banner Ad

...how is he this good? It honestly doesn't make sense.

His skills are great, he makes excellent decisions, he takes the game on and advanced the play, his hands are insanely clean and one-touch, he wins the hard ball down low, he is a sneaky good contested mark for someone of his size, he wins 50-50 contests, he's fast, he finds the pill, and he hits the scoreboard.

And all off a limited base of average VFL form?

It doesn't make any sense at all, but I'm so glad Joe's on our side.

He is an AFL player and he can play any where on the ground in my opinion. Covid did us a favour with this guy. His only down side is his height. But he is such a natural footballer that it doesn't affect him at all. Let's get him signed up for peanuts give him a 4 year deal.

His skills are great, he makes excellent decisions, he takes the game on and advanced the play, his hands are insanely clean and one-touch, he wins the hard ball down low, he is a sneaky good contested mark for someone of his size, he wins 50-50 contests, he's fast, he finds the pill, and he hits the scoreboard.

gotta say, if he adds a coupla more inches on his biceps, for mine, he'll be a dead-set ringer for Brent Harvey

..height / size, build, biceps, playing style re super clean hands, one-touch, pace, makes really good decisions

obviously not as dynamic (yet) as Boomer but he does remind me of him a tad

You forgot how he tackles way beyond what his size should let him.

Mighty Joe Richards.

Thanks Ben Reid 👍🏻

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remarkable. Last year I thought, never listen to Reid again - this guy just doesn’t have what it takes to be an AFL player. Yet based on his first few AFL games, he is up there as one of our better players, against some pretty good opposition. I just want the ball in his hands. Takes the game on. Makes smart decisions. Clean.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens when Elliott is back.

No doubt Elliott will be in our best 22. But hard to see Richards making way for him (or HH for that matter). And Bobby is not going anywhere. And Schultz isn’t getting dropped.

Last edited:
Very impressive lad, so clean, quick and tackles above his weight division. Good overhead for his size as well, and stronger than his frame suggests.

22 possessions last night and kicking a goal a game, a lot to like.

Does make me wonder how many guns are out there in their mid twenties, in the bush leagues because Covid ruined both their early development and their pathway.

Last edited:
It’ll be interesting to see what happens when Elliott is back.

No doubt Elliott will be in our best 22. But hard to see Richards making way for him. And Bobby is not going anywhere. And Schultz isn’t getting dropped.
I'm in the camp of thinking it'll click with Schultz eventually. But I hope the selection committee has the guts to make the hard call if need be. He should be our most vulnerable small forward at this stage.

Having more impact then Schultz
Okay, I was probably a little guilty of thinking he may be a bust a few weeks ago.
I decided to watch him a bit closer.
Whilst he's not having a huge scoreboard impact, his pressure acts are what I like. I can see why we recruited him, instantly better than Ginni when he hasn't got the ball.
I think it looks a little skewed because we've had players like Richards, Sullivan and Harrison come through and impress quickly. If we'd had that last year, maybe Ginni would still be there and Schultz not.
I'm comfortable with what he brings and positive he will be valuable for us at the tail end of the year

gotta say, if he adds a coupla more inches on his biceps, for mine, he'll be a dead-set ringer for Brent Harvey

..height / size, build, biceps, playing style re super clean hands, one-touch, pace, makes really good decisions

obviously not as dynamic (yet) as Boomer but he does remind me of him a tad
Tony Francis aka Mighty Mouse

Attachments

• IMG_2073.jpeg
    IMG_2073.jpeg
    50.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2074.jpeg
    IMG_2074.jpeg
    47.3 KB · Views: 15

Remove this Banner Ad

Back