News Joel Garner signs for Richmond VFL

Garner playing as an outside midfielder as a junior is exactly what we need - a guy who actually knows when to push up into the midfield from half back and can read the play.

Sick of Bonner and Byrne-Jones making s**t decisions every week. Get another Houston type in.

Garner playing as an outside midfielder as a junior is exactly what we need - a guy who actually knows when to push up into the midfield from half back and can read the play.

Sick of Bonner and Byrne-Jones making **** decisions every week. Get another Houston type in.

Last year he looked the goods apart from not rebounding but this year he's added that to his game. He needs a go at AFL, and I agree that he can replace either of the above mentioned players. I like his marking ability, accountability, strength and his nuggetty size. I'm not sure what his flaws are to be honest.

Sick of Bonner and Byrne-Jones making **** decisions every week. Get another Houston type in.
Might as well blood some more players. Need something to get excited about.

The key is whether Garner defends better than DBJ and Bonner. If as I suspect the answer is yes, then he should come in immediately.

He couldn’t possibly be any worse IMO.

I’m a firm believer that the midfield doesn’t want to cover for those two anymore. They don’t buy into the idea of contested football being a priority when Hinkley keeps picking Bonner who is as soft as butter.

I’d go as far as to delist Bonner if we can’t trade him for something decent. Give him to Gold Coast or something. Just get rid of him. He doesn’t deserve a new contract.

He couldn’t possibly be any worse IMO.

I’m a firm believer that the midfield doesn’t want to cover for those two anymore. They don’t buy into the idea of contested football being a priority when Hinkley keeps picking Bonner who is as soft as butter.

I’d go as far as to delist Bonner if we can’t trade him for something decent. Give him to Gold Coast or something. Just get rid of him. He doesn’t deserve a new contract.

Bonner is a horrendous footballer.

Bonner is the first player to get exposed when we play badly.

If we can shuffle Hartlett or Broadbent into his place we might be a lot more stable.

I want to see Garner come in now. He plays with real physicality. Handed out a legal bone jarring bump to a dogs player that would have made a few old Magpies smile.

He reads the play well coming into half back, makes good position, good overhead and delivers the ball with a scything left foot kick. Terrific depth in the kick and he can switch the play to either side and release a running player.

More run and carry from him this year too.

Bring him in and tell him caution be damned.

I want to see Garner come in now. He plays with real physicality. Handed out a legal bone jarring bump to a dogs player that would have made a few old Magpies smile.

He reads the play well coming into half back, makes good position, good overhead and delivers the ball with a scything left foot kick. Terrific depth in the kick and he can switch the play to either side and release a running player.

Sounds good. Get him in to rough up Eddie. It's time the Eddie showdown specials ended and ended with legal physicality.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bonner has to go. He played ok against WCE and we know Ken doesn't want to change a winning side but has been poor the last 2 weeks. Garner is ahead of Broadie at the moment so I would bring him in. His kicking is more reliable than Bonner's, isn't a quick, but has a better footy brain and is a lot better defender.

DBJ's pace saves him and I reckon he defends a bit better than Bonner. Wouldn't be surprised if near end of season we replace DBJ's speed with Pudney across half back.

Get him in and DBJ or Bonner out. I think Bonner and DBJ could be trialled in other positions. Bonner to wing/HFF and DBJ to the midfield or small forward. Both are too comfortable currently, not living up to their potential and we haven’t seen any growth.

Garner coming in is a wake up call at the very least and maybe unearthes more depth/talent in our list.

If Garner doesn't get a go this year and keeps playing well for the Maggies, I wouldn't be surprised if he asks for trade. The kid has something and its worth finding out what he is like on the big stage.

Reward good form in the Maggies and drop those who have played poorly 2 games out of 3 in the Power.

Last edited:
From all reports his brother Todd will be drafted by Hawthorn as part of their NGA. He probably lives in remote outback Brunswick.

From all reports his brother Todd will be drafted by Hawthorn as part of their NGA. He probably lives in remote outback Brunswick.
Haha how did the Hawks miss Joel given NGA's were set up in 2016 and he was highly rated in 2016 in lead up to 2017 draft.

I would love to see what he can do.

If Garner doesn't get a go this year and keeps playing well for the Maggies, I wouldn't be surprised if he asks for trade. The kid has something and its worth finding out what is he is like on the big stage.

Reward good form in the Maggies and drop those who have played poorly 2 games out of 3 in the Power.

Garner is promising but has hardly been banging on the door for long so am not quite so sure on the negativity. Selection this year has been fair.

In saying that Bonner & DBJ are running out of credits and could do with a refreshed mindset from a stint in the reserves.

If Garner doesn't get a go this year and keeps playing well for the Maggies, I wouldn't be surprised if he asks for trade. The kid has something and its worth finding out what is he is like on the big stage.

Garner was rated as a second round pick before the draft, but fell out of favour for whatever reason.

I personally think once he gets in the side, he'll be like Houston and stay there forever.

This is probably nuts but I'm kind of warming to the idea of giving this bloke his debut and chucking him straight onto Betts. Every other ****er in our back 6 has tried and failed before, but Eddie ain't the player he used to be. Maybe Joel won't be infected by the aura that surrounds him in Showdowns the way the rest of our team seems to.

Would be a bold and brave calculated risk reminiscent of the Port Adelaide of old. So of course Ken Hinkley won't do it.

He’s making a strong case . Good on him and with DBJ and particularly Bonner opening up the door especially with Hartlett still being out , I think if anything goes against him it will be the amount of first year players already playing but if perhaps Drew or Butters gets a rest he may come in which would be a credit to him .

Garner is promising but has hardly been banging on the door for long so am not quite so sure on the negativity. Selection this year has been fair.

In saying that Bonner & DBJ are running out of credits and could do with a refreshed mindset from a stint in the reserves.

Mayes has been named an emergency 6 times and I reckon that has started to affect him and he isn't playing as strongly the last 2 games as the previous 4.

I thought Garner had been named 3 or 4 times as an emergency and that's why I said he should be given a go, because we have 2 poorly playing small defenders in slots he could fill, and I don't want to see him drop away like Mayes seems to have. I have double checked and he has only been named twice as an emergency.

But I didn't say given a go this week, I said this year, which still has at least 15 games to go.

Last year I saw Garner given jobs on lot bigger opponents ie 190+cms when he is 184cm because of our poorly structured backlines after a couple of injuries to the taller defenders. Garner impressed me with his competitiveness in difficult situations. Then after about 11 games he did his shoulder, went and got it reconstructed and was out for the last 8 weeks or so.

I have been to 4 of the 6 Maggies games, as well as a couple of trials, and I appreciate that living in WA you don't get to see it, even if you have access to a digital pass, but Garner helps organise the defence. He has played on guys his size for most of the games with the occasional picking up of 190+cm players, but he has shown all the qualities talked about in his draft year ie, very good kick, hard at it, good decision maker, leadership qualities and reads the game well.

Sure another month with the Maggies isn't going to hurt him, but if Hartlett gets back, and if Broadbent gets back close to his best, Ken is likely to go with experience and bigger bodies in the middle of winter than a kid.

I have read a bit about the family pull back to home, and having a brother play for another club in a year or two's time, might be a factor. I haven't heard him talk much about loving it at Alberton. In fact I haven't heard him say much since early last year.

Back