Joel Houghton (Pick 36 ND 2009)

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't compare to previous weeks, but I was very impressed with some grabs he took. He took a couple of low bullets out in front of his eyes at full speed - something I don't even see Pav do very often. The mark he took to get the goal was also very impressive. Took it at the highest point and had quite a leap at it. He also missed a sitter under pressure 15m out and also had a shot from superb crumbing just touched off the boot.

Ideally, you would like to see him get around it a bit more and he missed a few targets but I do like what I see with him.

Rd 15 v West Perth
14D (7&7) 5 marks, 1 point.
Tracking about the same for possies and marks but didn't hit the scoreboard this week.
Will get down and watch at least the first half next week against Swans. Will have to leave early as Freo are playing Sat night in Melb.

Have been a bit tardy on updating the Joelsters outings of late.
The bad news is it's all over for Joel for the year. Apparently injured his ankle badly and is not expected to play again this year.
Overall not a bad year development wise. Moved up from ressies to seniors and played some decent footy without setting the world on fire.
Hope to see him in action in the pre-season next year and hopefully he'll crack a game for Freo at some stage. Can definitely play, like all players it will come down to desire and attitude in the end if he's going to make it in the big show.
Over and out Joelster from your 2010 BF Bud.

Because I wasn't here this time last year, what were the views on where he was going to go leading up to the draft can anyone tell me?

Given his attributes i'd have thought he'd have been sounded out a bit but all the goss on AFL.com.au at the time seemed to think it was a left-field selection.

Can anyone fill us in? failing this, old BF links?

Because I wasn't here this time last year, what were the views on where he was going to go leading up to the draft can anyone tell me?

Given his attributes i'd have thought he'd have been sounded out a bit but all the goss on AFL.com.au at the time seemed to think it was a left-field selection.

it was a bit similar to the Chalwell situation. No one had really mentioned him until someone posted a an impressive youtube video of him which caused a bit of hysteria. It cooled down by the time the draft rolled around and I think most people expected him to go 3rd round onwards

A lot of Richmond fans wanted him with their second rounder mainly caused by the as mentioned hype.

it was a bit similar to the Chalwell situation. No one had really mentioned him until someone posted a an impressive youtube video of him which caused a bit of hysteria. It cooled down by the time the draft rolled around and I think most people expected him to go 3rd round onwards

A bit different to Chalwell in that he played for WA in the 18's carnival and was at draft camp I believe, so he was much more exposed than Chalwell.

Having said that, we did go early to get him as we did with Fyfe. Most phantoms had him going 35 - rookie.

His bio is pretty similar to Hamp and Monaco (?). Athletic tall that can play fwd/bwd. Lots of 'potential' but not rated as a top tier anthing as a junior. Does anyone know how these guys compare as players (Chris 25?)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didnt see the game but 16 possesions 5 marks and a goal isnt really setting the world on fire but he seems to be developing some consistency in the WAFL which is what I like to see. Tho unfortunately I think it is too early to give him a game, he is still quite undersized.

I didnt see the game but 16 possesions 5 marks and a goal isnt really setting the world on fire but he seems to be developing some consistency in the WAFL which is what I like to see. Tho unfortunately I think it is too early to give him a game, he is still quite undersized.

The problem is we don't have anyone else to play, he gets a game by default.

The problem is we don't have anyone else to play, he gets a game by default.

Reckon it's well worth getting a game into him this year. Give him something to look forward to. Get a look at what he can do.

No point being conservative with team selection, as this year's well and truly down the gurgler.

Bring in Buco and Houghton.

The worst's AFL WATCH: Joel Houghton looks to be making major strides & showed versatility playing on a wing,forward,back & in the ruck at different stages.Hopefully harvs gives houghts a run this weekend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back