HOUGHTON%20Joel_draft_246_meeta.jpg

joelhoughton88.jpg

joelhoughton57.jpg

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/87018/default.aspx

Height: 194cm
Weight: 82kg
DOB: 26/11/91
Recruited from: Perth
Bio: Tall forward with a tremendous set shot for goal. Outstanding endurance and agility for a player of his size. Marking on the lead and an ability to play present up to the kicker are assets. His level 15.1 beep test at WA screening outstanding. WA U18 representative in 2009.

[youtube]bcfsx7HrWzI[/youtube]

moves pretty good for a big fella, likes a contested mark and knows where the goals are - an exciting prospect! i'll be interested to see how he developes in the WAFL next year.

Can't wait to see Joel in action. Look a thoroughbred from the vids. As his buddy I will get down and watch as much as I can of him in the WAFL. Hopefully he'll crack the seniors at Perth so I don't have to go too early to see him play!

There seems to have been more talk about Fyfe than Houghton. I was excited seeing our 2nd and 3rd picks being marking mobile tall forwards.

hey just wondering how joel is going. playing wafl? or is he injured?

Playing ressies for Perth in The WAFL. Not setting the world on fire but steadily improving. Last match he had 14 disp 4 marks for 2.1.
Probably not going to make the freo team anytime soon but hopefully he can force his way into the Perth league soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How far would he be off playing seniors now.

I watched him for a half in R1 and didn't look very strong or imposing even at ressies level yet, so I'd imagine he's a fair way off.

From what I saw I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see him in the seniors in the first half of the season, though it's obviously hard to gauge how much he's improved since then just by looking at stats.

Great debut from Joel in the the WAFL seniors against Perth on Saturday. Playing up forward and in the Ruck he looked really good, racking up 17 touches, 5 marks and kicking 3 straight. I gave him a bake last week for not getting involved enough up forward so it's nice to be shown up by his efforts this week.
Too early to tell if he can play at the highest level but definite good signs coming up from Ressies. The best players always seem to rise with the standard as they go up a grade a la Fyfe, Hill.

Another 12 touches, 3 marks and 3.1 for Joel in a battering from Souths.
RE the above from Yello it looks to me like Joel has put on a few kilo of muscle since being drafted. He looks a nice weight for his height. I expect he'll play more a mobile tall option up forward than as a Gorilla type forward. I would still think he's unlikely to get a start this year but with injuries and if he keeps playing well stranger things have happened!
Been very pleased with his progress since being promoted to the senior Perth side.

Another 12 touches, 3 marks and 3.1 for Joel in a battering from Souths.
RE the above from Yello it looks to me like Joel has put on a few kilo of muscle since being drafted. He looks a nice weight for his height. I expect he'll play more a mobile tall option up forward than as a Gorilla type forward. I would still think he's unlikely to get a start this year but with injuries and if he keeps playing well stranger things have happened!
Been very pleased with his progress since being promoted to the senior Perth side.

Given his body type and the fact that he runs a near 16 beep test I think that it is a given he will be a mobile forward. He has been learning structures in the ressies re: leading the like and now some promising signs in the league. I agree that he needs a couple of years to bulk up. Maybe expose him next year sometime if form warrants but the step up to league is indeed exciting.

I don't really see the Tippet thing. There is a slight superficial similarity in the way they move but that's about it. Tippet is 201 and 100Kg. Houghton is 194 and 82 so not really in the same ballpark. Tippet has ridiculously good hands and with his height he can mark anything on his day. Joel is more known for presenting and marking on the lead. While Tippet is a poor set shot this is one of Joel's strengths.
Like all our recent draftees Joel is a good endurance runner and has played in the midfield in junior footy. May end up similar to Fyfe as a Medium KPP who can play up the ground and send it inside 50 as well as being a target close to goal.

I don't really see the Tippet thing. There is a slight superficial similarity in the way they move but that's about it. Tippet is 201 and 100Kg. Houghton is 194 and 82 so not really in the same ballpark. Tippet has ridiculously good hands and with his height he can mark anything on his day. Joel is more known for presenting and marking on the lead. While Tippet is a poor set shot this is one of Joel's strengths.
Like all our recent draftees Joel is a good endurance runner and has played in the midfield in junior footy. May end up similar to Fyfe as a Medium KPP who can play up the ground and send it inside 50 as well as being a target close to goal.

I see Houghton as the other half of the "Split the Pav" equation. Morabito is the medium/long term replacement for not having Pav in the middle of the ground, and Joel is the long term replacement for not having Pav down foward. I would rather they keep working and training on making sure Houghton leads within the forward 50, then leads again, then leads again...ad nauseum, rather than getting caught into some kind of thinking that he can be a player that might run through the middle some of the time.

Decent outing from Joel again against Subi although he only kicked one goal and faded in and out a bit. Still finished with 13 touches and 7 marks and I thought his marking was more assured than I've seen in previous weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back