Retired Jonathan Brown #2 (1999-2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link ....

Brown battles: Jonathan Brown’s return after his latest face break started with promise when he took three early marks. But his day petered out after that with the majority of the game being played in Fremantle’s half. He didn’t kick a goal and ended with just those three disposals in an underwhelming comeback game. Brown refused to blame his face injury and was shattered he couldn’t get to more contests. “It was a pretty ordinary performance so I’ve got to fix that up,” he said.

brown108.jpg

Link

"It was a frustrating day down there, I certainly struggled for touch. It was one of those days when I wasn't in a hell of a lot of contests."

Guy McKenna and Michael Voss

"We understand how big this game is and he's a proud Queenslander now," McKenna said. "He would be licking his lips for this opportunity ..."We know how good a player he is, we understand what he's going to be able to deliver on, and we need to suppress that as best we can."
Lions coach Michael Voss said Brown was like a caged lion after missing both matches against the Suns in 2011, which finished with a win each.
"He loves his football club, he's the captain of our football club," Voss said. "It ate him up a fair bit that he couldn't partake in those matches last year.
"If there's any one player that I know is going to be ready to go this week, mentally, physically or otherwise, it will be Brownie."

brown107.jpg
Michael Voss

Voss was adamant his captain, who hails from from Colac in southwest Victoria, was a "banana bender" by now and would be relishing the chance to play in his first QCup match.

"Have you seen Jonathan Brown playing big games before? He goes OK," Voss said. "We always like to grab on to Queenslanders rather quickly. I think he's an adopted Queenslander, there's no doubt about that.

"It ate him up a fair bit that he couldn't take part in any of the matches last year. If there is one player ready to go mentally and physically this week, it'd be Browny."

Video: Brett Burton

How have the guys who had their first run in the seniors pulled up?

Browny's pulled up really well, which was to be expected, because while he had that facial injury he was still able to do all the training bar get contact.

brown105.jpg

Daniel Merrett

While Ablett is the star man for the Suns, Jonathan Brown will have a point to prove after a poor showing against the Dockers in his first game of the season. Merrett said the Brisbane forward was raring to go. He was out before the rest of the team as they trained at the Gabba yesterday, jogging around the oval and stretching up by himself to get a head start on the hit-out.
"Big Jon is just glad to be back out there. He had a bit of a quite one at the weekend. I can see him now doing a bit of a Merv Hughes on the fence over there," Merrett said.
"It will be great to have him out there."

brown104.jpg

Jonathan Brown kicks his 500th goal as the Brisbane Lions defeat Gold Coast Suns in QLD derby
  • FOX SPORTS
  • April 21, 2012 9:35PM
Brisbane captain Jonathan Brown kicks his 500th goal to inspire Brisbane Lions to a 17. 9 (111) to 6. 10 (46) victory over the Gold Coast Suns at the Gabba.

brownw.jpg

Link

Eight months after his last goal, Jonathan Brown finally booted his 500th major for the Brisbane Lions to spark a 65-point win over AFL rivals Gold Coast Suns at the Gabba on Saturday night.

But not without some anxious moments.

Lions coach Michael Voss would have been forgiven for thinking Brown was set for his fourth facial operation in a year after his prized forward typically ran back into a pack in the third term.
Advertisement: Story continues below

The crowd gasped as a fearless Brown hit the deck hard after coming off a group of players including teammate Ben Hudson second best.

browna.jpg

Link

Brown's second goal late in the third term was the 500th of his career and drew the biggest cheer on a night riddled with mistakes and sloppy execution.

brownif.jpg

Link

It was classic Jon Brown. The final minutes of the third term saw him hurtling back with the flight of the ball, careening front-on into a pack in an effort to take a mark. He was on his feet again a moment later to send through one of those raking drop punts that have defined his career almost as much as his disregard for personal well-being. Career goal 500 could not have been delivered in a more fitting manner.

brown119.jpg

Link

When Brown marked running back with the flight and converted from the boundary, the home side had a 27-point lead. From there, the only moment to jangle the nerves was when Brown ran back with the flight again - this time into a large pack containing Ben Hudson. Bodies went everywhere, and Hudson got up slowly, but Brown survived. He'll finish his career as he started - a human battering ram. Moments later, Brown drilled his second goal, this time from outside 50. The familiar fist pump from the big man brought the crowd to its feet

Link

Brown was back to his bulldozing best and showed no signs of any mental scars from suffering three facial fractures in the past 12 months.

He took one mark running back with the flight of the ball, then ran headlong into another pack with eyes only for the footy.

Thankfully for Lions fans he quickly got back to his feet.

Spare a thought for Jonathan Brown's mum.

Link

JONATHAN Brown's mum knows a thing or two or maybe even three about facial surgery. But after watching her eldest boy go under the knife for the third time earlier this year, yesterday it was her younger son Tim who went into the operating theatre after a heavy knock on the footy field. Tim, 24, was left with a fractured jaw while playing for Geelong West-St Peter's against Colac in their Good Friday clash.

timbrown.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Live chat with Jared Polec

Ryan: Saw you were the first in to congratulate big JB on his 500th goal on Saturday. How was the feeling out on the ground when the great man did it?

Jared Polec: It was a great feeling - and a relief! I thought he was gonna miss that kick! Hahaha.

brown117.jpg

Video: Brett Burton

Browny appeared to be cramping up late, was that from the conditions or due to match fitness?

That's just a match fitness issue. He's got two games under his belt now, so you expect he gets another game he should be right from here on in. Plus the conditions, obviously slippery conditions, you've got to stabilise the muscles a bit more which all adds to the workload a bit more. We don't expect him to have any issues this week and look forward to him completing his third game.

brown119.jpg

Round 5 vs Geelong

The young Lions need their fearless leader Jonathan Brown to come good. Brown monstered the Gold Coast – as expected – but failed to fire in miserable conditions which didn’t worry big Cat Tom Hawkins (six goals).

brown107.jpg

Gary O’Donnell

“We also need to have our forward setup to allow Jonathan Brown to get away (from his opponent).”

“Probably in the few games Browny has played, the conditions haven’t been real flash for both us and him. But we get perfect conditions at Etihad tomorrow, so we are looking forward to it.”

brown123.jpg

Call this blasphemy or whatever, but watching Browny live today, it just felt like this should be his last year. That bit of play in the third quarter down in the back pocket was sad to watch.
Look, it's a given that he could take contested marks one on one until he's about fifty, but he just looks too slow these days for the modern game. Brown's lack of defensive pressure (something we are demanding of the younger forwards) is really starting to be a liability, particularly against a team like the bombers. Obviously once he goes it will leave a big leadership gap as well as a loss of a massive forward presence, but he is not going to be there forever and as a huge Brown fan (I would rank him in my top 5 favorite lions players since the late 70's) I'm afraid that 2013 may be one year too many.

I actually think we played better when he was out of the team....but his leadership is priceless, so its a real dilemma..

I've said it once or twice, maybe 100 times before....JB must be kept on at the club when he does retire, for that very reason..

Going to throw caution to the wind here and suggest the same of Black unfortunatly...I know we cant start jumping to things from 1-2 quiet games, but I get the feeling the pressure of those two being THE big cogs of our team is starting to catch up.
Now we have Brown back, our midfield think just bomb the forward 50, and have the sense of him being the winning formula.

Would not be surprised if both or at least one of them hangs up the boots at the end of this year, sadly.

I actually think we played better when he was out of the team....but his leadership is priceless, so its a real dilemma..

I've said it once or twice, maybe 100 times before....JB must be kept on at the club when he does retire, for that very reason..

This. The guy is an absolute legend of the Lions, and arguably, one of the best captains the AFL has ever seen, and an absolute top bloke :thumbsu:
Quite unfortunately, we've become so focused upon him over the years, that I really think it's "damaged" the way we move the footy into the forward line when he's playing. We just can't lower the eye's when he's in the team.

God, I feel dirty just saying that.

I honestly think JB is the sort of person who would know and be honest enough with himself, that he just might be holding the team back.....and then approach Voss about it..

I feel for Michael when it involves his former teammates and close friends..it would be so difficult for him..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back