Past Josh Drummond (2004-2012)

Remove this Banner Ad

Gary O'Donnell

Josh Drummond (is) coming back. He’s had an up and down year with injury. Probably more down, but he’s had some strong form in the last two weeks in our reserves side. We think he’ll give us some real drive from defence, and we’re really happy that he’s back.

drummond15.jpg

Next contract negs will be interesting,I don't think other clubs will be interested with his apalling game day appearance rate which will drive his price down.

Drummond has played just 75 of a possible 177 games (42.37% of club games) from 2004-present. With that injury record, along with the fact he'll be nearly 29 by the time the 2012 season starts, I don't think any other club would bother chasing him. Unfortunate that someone so talented has a body so fragile.

Next contract negs will be interesting,I don't think other clubs will be interested with his apalling game day appearance rate which will drive his price down.

I think you would find that happened last year. For a player of Drummond's quality, when fit, we got a deal done at rumoured to be quite a good price very easily.

Vossy's round 21 post match press conference

He hasn’t been fit for most of the year. We’ve spent a longer time trying to get him right now. I think it highlights just how important he is in our team, the kicking skills he has and the angles he opens up just by how he kicks the ball.

drummond14.jpg

I wasn't expecting much from Drummo as his previous games this year were a bit scratchy. But he looked a lot better this time. His ability to find a target among a sea of players is brilliant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wasn't expecting much from Drummo as his previous games this year were a bit scratchy. But he looked a lot better this time. His ability to find a target among a sea of players is brilliant.

Had a few telling and significant defensive efforts also :thumbsu:

Found that I was actually rather relaxed during our kick ins again as opposed to the traditional tendency of wanting to close my eyes and curl up in the fetal position.

Ditto. The development of Hanley in that role, in Josh's absence, has given us two good options, and made us look far less predictable coming out of the back line. The class of his disposal by foot is something to behold. Reinforced for me that we need to take a leaf out of the Hawks book this year and target players with exceptional foot skills.

The Members Roar

From 2004 through to 2008, the reserves played under the Suncoast Lions banner, with a number of home matches played at Maroochydore. We had a good record there and a number of upset wins. My favourite memory of these games is probably the day there was a howling wind favouring the northern end and a young Lions rookie called Josh Drummond was peppering the goals from 80 metres out!

drummondv.jpg

The Grill with Todd Banfield

banfielddrummond.png

Being a local boy and a Brisbane fan I used to follow our now assistant coach, Adrian Fletcher around. Little 'Piggy' Fletcher as he was known back in the day. He wasn't the quickest runner or the highest leaper but I really enjoyed watching him play. He used to get in and under and win lots of the footy.

Get to know... Josh Drummond
7:03 AM Thu 22 Sep, 2011

drummond_look1-c.jpg

Describe your perfect day off:
Beach, out for breaky, massage and movie

Who inspires you:
Michael Voss

Best advice received:
Harder you work, the luckier you get

What scares you most:
I am older than Goose Maguire

If you weren’t a footballer, what would you like to be:
In AFL Development

Adrian Fletcher

Drummo’s important. He kicks the ball so well, we just want to get him out there consistently. We know that he has those small issues with his body but if we can get another 5 months into him in pre-season he can play consistently in that half-back role on a wing. He’s an elite kicker and one of our most important players down back.

drummond14.jpg

2011 End of Season Review

by Jemima

2010 review

Games: 7
Goals: 2
Sub: on = 0, off = 0
Emergency: 1
Time on ground: 81%
Best and Fairest: 6.5 votes (22nd)
Dreamteam: 398 points; $247,700 (-$26,200)
Supercoach: 457 points; $359,300 (-$41,700)
NEAFL:
Games: 5
Goals: 2

After sitting out the final games of 2010 following his recovery from LARS surgery, Josh Drummond was looking forward to a strong campaign in 2011. Unfortunately, a hip injury sustained during pre-season training put his return to the Seniors on hold for a little longer. Josh missed the entire NAB Cup and sat out the early weeks of the season.

After two games in the Reserves, Drummond returned in Round 7 in the Lions inaugural game against the Gold Coast Suns. He played again the following week against Essendon however, despite playing out the game, he suffered another injury, this time to his knee. This caused a good deal of consternation to Lions fans, fearing it was a problem with the LARS graft, however the injury was diagnosed as a torn meniscus, repaired during surgery in mid-May.

Drummond returned for the Reserves against NT Thunder and looked likely to slowly work his way back into the Seniors. However, with the Lions severely depleted in the defensive end, he was selected to make his return in the round 13 game against Richmond, possibly a little earlier than was advisable. Unfortunately, the knee wasn’t right and Josh had a lengthy injury spell, missing the next 7 games with knee soreness and bone bruising.

After a couple more runs with the Reserves, Josh came back into the Seniors for Round 21, the return match against the Suns. He played the season out against Collingwood, West Coast and Sydney with no further injury and had surgery on his troublesome hip at the end of home and away season.

Drummond’s importance to the Brisbane Lions, both on and off field, was underlined when he was announced as part of the leadership group prior to the commencement of the regular 2011 season. So it was extremely disappointing, and frustrating for Josh, that he could again manage only 7 games in 2011, following on from 7 games in 2011. With so little match play, when he did manage to get on the field early in the season his form suffered. During the final 4 games of the season, he looked stronger and we saw a few glimpses of some good form.

There is no doubt that a fit Josh Drummond is one of the best rebounding defenders in the game and his booming left foot delivers possibly the best kick in the AFL. The issue with Josh has always been his propensity for injury. With one more year to go on his current contract, no doubt Josh and the medicos at the club will be working hard to ensure he delivers a season rivalling 2009, his best season for the Lions.

drummond.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back