Universal Love Josh Thomas

Remove this Banner Ad

Glad he kicked goals, but he still needs to work on his disposal. Too many meek , undercooked kicks and at one point he didn't strike a handball hard enough to reach a player 2 metres away from him.

He looks like he has a runners build, but maybe needs more power.

I don't think his VFL form warranted his selection but he played really well so I don't care about that anymore

JT was brilliant tonight, so glad to see him take his opportunity and run with it. Really like Josh, want him to make it so badly and if he can get a good pre-season in I think he should be in our best 22. I dont mind the hair cut :p

He looks like he has a runners build, but maybe needs more power.
You make a good point, and I think he's aware of this deficiency. He has actually bulked up a lot considering his ectomorphic build. I can't find the pic now, but earlier this year he was cut like a bodybuilder almost to the point where he looked unhealthy/dehydrated. It appears he's working pretty hard in the gym and with his diet to build strength, but it's an absolute grind for skinny-arses to build bulk - and I speak from experience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has a "small" game. Whenever he tries to dispose it it's always a really soft handball or soft kick that doesn't hit the mark. I"m not convinced he belongs

Complete game from Josh, got it inside and got on the end of a few on the outside, tackled well and kicked goals. He lacks any penetration on his kicking but his ball use was tidy enough

That performance last night is a frustrating one. I've been a JT fan since day dot and know that he's got it in him to give us that type of footy consistently moving forward.

The issue is that watching him run around at VFL level a game like last night looked a million miles away. All he needed was one of those performances at the lower level, then to back it up at senior level and he would have been a regular over the past 8 weeks.

It's where we've fallen down in the back half of the season with our inability to get the best out of him, Sinner, Seedsman and Fasolo for one reason or another. It really was a game that had me wondering if he's been read the riot act of a career defining match at the club.

I don't want to sound as if it's all doom and gloom because he stood up when we needed him to, but where's it's been all year?..

That performance last night is a frustrating one. I've been a JT fan since day dot and know that he's got it in him to give us that type of footy consistently moving forward.

The issue is that watching him run around at VFL level a game like last night looked a million miles away. All he needed was one of those performances at the lower level, then to back it up at senior level and he would have been a regular over the past 8 weeks.

It's where we've fallen down in the back half of the season with our inability to get the best out of him, Sinner, Seedsman and Fasolo for one reason or another. It really was a game that had me wondering if he's been read the riot act of a career defining match at the club.

I don't want to sound as if it's all doom and gloom because he stood up when we needed him to, but where's it's been all year?..

I haven't watched the VFL much so I trust your judgement on this.
Given that his inconsistency in the VFL is he just one of those types that thrives at the higher level? Some players struggle with more variable conditions of VFL grounds, poorer skill levels of team mates etc. Ceglar seems to be another example of this.
Maybe the way to coach him is to guarantee him a set of 4 to 5 matches and just have him concentrate on performing well rather than avoiding being dropped.

Ditto with Seedsman

He needs to be sustained game time on a weekly basis.

We know he is capable of games such as that particularly as a dynamic mid. He has that clean one touch/one hand pick up ability, he can accelerate from congestion and win his own ball inside and out.

Our midfield minutes this year have been left too much to Pendles, Beams, Swan (when available) and Sidebottom. We haven't had enough rotations. We used to be the best side through here with the amount of numbers and combination we would throw at the opposition. You look at Hawthorn last night and they commented on how their midfield trio at stoppages is always different each time. This is the key area we used to excel at.

We need to have more players going through the midfield but genuine ones- not players like Macaffer or Lumumba who spend a huge chunk of time in there with minimal impact.

We need to have 8-10 players to rotate through there.

He played well because he was given a responsible role in the midfield.
Willed himself through pain and was cramping.
To those not sold on him: I have more faith in Beams's opinion of Josh than you Big Footy Experts !
He has stated that Josh was a better player than him at junior level.
Even yesterday he tweeted about his performance !!!!

BOG for Collingwood today with 29 touches, 8 tackles, 3 goals. That really is a complete game, outstanding and hopefully he build on this performance in the future.

Loved how he put this team on his shoulder and willed us over the Line

Mmm... Ok then...
Surprises me because I think he actually adds something we desperately need.
He can extract the footy but also has a bit of pace. Kicks goals as well.
IMO him and Adams are both best 22 next year.

There different as Adams is more in and under pack where Thomas can get the ball and get away of Packs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back