Player Watch Josh Worrell

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t see Tom as a midfielder at all - no reason he can’t play as the 4th defender. The third defensive option should be able to step up to be the second option and Tom has shown he can’t do that. He probably fights with Hinge and Parnell for a spot now

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He’s just not big enough to be able to do that, to be fair. 95% of intercepting 3rd tall defenders are around the 191-195 mark these days

Much better suited to the intercepting sweeper role. Not a high level rebounder, but isn’t as stagnant with the ball as someone like Jake Kelly was for us

Make no mistake, having all four of Butts/Murray/Worrell/Doedee in the side will make each other’s jobs much easier

He’s just not big enough to be able to do that, to be fair. 95% of intercepting 3rd tall defenders are around the 191-195 mark these days

Much better suited to the intercepting sweeper role. Not a high level rebounder, but isn’t as stagnant with the ball as someone like Jake Kelly was for us

Make no mistake, having all four of Butts/Murray/Worrell/Doedee in the side will make each other’s jobs much easier
This is a key point. A core backline of Butts/Murray/Worrell/Doedee provides a lot flexibility. Add Parnell and Smith and that’s a reasonable backline that importantly releases Dawson to the wing.

Also we could use him against intercepting loose men, like a Tom Stewart or Lever. The ones too big for Ben Keays to take care of. Doedee has the height, pace, aerial capability to take a mark or the defensive mindset to spoil if needed. Nuggety enough to do body on body work against those guys as well. Smart enough to play to complex instructions too I reckon.
Is he fast enough to play as a "small" forward?

Finally...

Worrell is very happy in Adelaide, no plans to move. Doedee had told him that he told the coaches he was too injured to play so Josh would get a game and afterwards mentioned that maybe he played a little too well. I dunno, makes me think on one hand that Tom is a dickhead for making the first comment, making it sound like you were being magnanimous to a teammate but maybe the coaches should have made the Doedee call a few weeks beforehand.

Hamill is the 7th defender in rotations.

Jones - let him loose on a wing with Dawson.
Can we give Jones and McHenry to GC as a straight swap when they give us Rankine - after all they are the players we picked with the draft picks we should have used to get up the order to try and have a crack at a Rankine / Rozee / king etc

Finally...

Worrell is very happy in Adelaide, no plans to move. Doedee had told him that he told the coaches he was too injured to play so Josh would get a game and afterwards mentioned that maybe he played a little too well. I dunno, makes me think on one hand that Tom is a dickhead for making the first comment, making it sound like you were being magnanimous to a teammate but maybe the coaches should have made the Doedee call a few weeks beforehand.
This is a theme with this club. Established senior players think their place in the side is literally something they own.

Yeah there's no way Worrell has demonstrated he's even particularly good by foot, let alone better than Frampton who is a genuinely good field kick. It's probably the one weak spot of his game on Saturday night - a few sloppy disposals. Too early to say if it's a real issue or just some nerves or whatever.
Didn’t think it was an issue but almost every kick was a bomb down the line

Can’t we play worrell and doedee in the same team? Hopefully would free up Dawson to play on the wing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t we play worrell and doedee in the same team? Hopefully would free up Dawson to play on the wing

The issue is looking at our back 6 and the structure. This year we have structured with various combinations like this:

Lock Down KPD - Butts
KPD #2 - Murray, Frampton
3rd Tall - Doedee,Worrell

Lock Down SD - Brown/Parnell or Jones
Rebounding defender 1 - Smith
Rebounding defender 2 - Dawson

Bench/Rotational Defenders - Hamill, Hinge, Jones.

The 4 positions that haven't changed recently and shouldn't change are KPD 1 being Butts, Lock down SD being Parnell (after replacing), Rebounding defender 1 Brodie Smith, Rebounding defender 2 Dawson.

It seems to me that Doedee is the issue. At 187cm he is too short to be a standalone KPD. He isn't attacking enough to be that 3rd tall. For instance in Worrells 2nd game he had 447 meters gained. Doedee has only eclipsed that number twice in his 70 AFL games (448 & 487).

When we paired Doedee with Butts/Murray we were better defensively but really lacked drive. When we paired Doedee with Butts/Frampton we were much better offensively but lacked a good enough defender for the 2nd key tall.

You replace Dawson with Doedee and we lose a hell of a lot of drive off Half Back. If we were desperate to keep Doedee in the side, then Hinge would be the obvious out (IMO). I would like to see Hinge develop into more of a winger long term, which is why I would prefer him in the side long term.

If we truly believe that Worrel's performance against Carlton will be what he can produce going forward than IMO the smart move from a pure footbal, list structure and asset value perspective would be to move Doedee on this year.

Yeah agree with that for the most part. The issue with Doedee and Worrell both playing isn't the backline being too tall, it's just having roles for all of them. Doedee is a really good intercepting player and uses the ball pretty well, but he's not traditionally played a role where he is launching attacks the way Dawson or Smith does.

I think if Worrell does stay in the team, the swap for Hinge makes the most sense. Similar records for the year honestly, just that Hinge does move up the ground more, which is what we'd want Doedee to do if we have a dedicated third tall defender. Hinge is also out of contract this year and that's a much more likely outcome than Doedee leaving, unless there's very specific trade interest or something.

Yeah agree with that for the most part. The issue with Doedee and Worrell both playing isn't the backline being too tall, it's just having roles for all of them. Doedee is a really good intercepting player and uses the ball pretty well, but he's not traditionally played a role where he is launching attacks the way Dawson or Smith does.

I think if Worrell does stay in the team, the swap for Hinge makes the most sense. Similar records for the year honestly, just that Hinge does move up the ground more, which is what we'd want Doedee to do if we have a dedicated third tall defender. Hinge is also out of contract this year and that's a much more likely outcome than Doedee leaving, unless there's very specific trade interest or something.
I don't want to trade Hinge.
We have a number of others who should be removed from our list before him.

Yeah agree with that, I'd like to keep him on the list. But I do think it's a feasible option for them - Doedee takes Hinge's role. Doesn't necessarily mean Hinge gets delisted but I think that's a more likely outcome than trading Doedee.

Hinge won't be traded, he has very little value to other AFL clubs at this time anyway.

He'll get another contract on minimum wages.

Didn’t think it was an issue but almost every kick was a bomb down the line

This was my issue too. If we wants to be a regular in our back 6 with the current personnel, he will need to be more incisive with his leg going forward than what he was on Saturday. From all reports he has it in his kit bag according to many of the regular SANFL watchers.

Another good game from Josh. Excellent to see him back up after being excellent the previous week. Must retain his place in the side this week IMO.

Lastly, for the non millennials... Watching young Josh Worrell reminded me of a young Darren Milburn. I liked it...

All I can say is I ******* told you so.

I was so sick of the logic peddled by many on here that given he wasn’t getting a running the seniors meant he was unlikely to make it.

The stupid rigid selection policy has cost him about a dozen afl games. Thankfully it wasn’t more - hats off to Doedee for having a rest for injury.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back