Player Watch Josh Worrell

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been a big fan of his for awhile, he was another one who you could tell from watching him play in the SANFL that he was going to make it.

I honestly don't think he put a foot wrong last year when he came in and again last night looked very solid across half back.

I think he's a best 22 player, the big problem is going to be juggling the side to make sure he stays in. Unfortunately for him his hamstring injury turned into a sliding doors moment as it opened the door for Michalanney to take his spot who also hasn't put a foor wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly he could be in competition with Butts as much as Doedee. Is listed at 195cm, which is taller than Nick Murray and much taller than Doedee. Unlikely we will see all four of them in the same backline most weeks but I don't think it's necessarily Doedee vs Worrell.

Honestly he could be in competition with Butts as much as Doedee. Is listed at 195cm, which is taller than Nick Murray and much taller than Doedee. Unlikely we will see all four of them in the same backline most weeks but I don't think it's necessarily Doedee vs Worrell.
Honestly, right now I think it is

That said, if one of them ever gets an injury this year we won’t need to replace them with another taller type

Seems like it. You wouldn't think Worrell has signed on to be depth.
The Dude may be gone or may not be. It is not that simple. Worrell can play various roles back, from centre half back to the third tall to Smith's rebounding flank role. He can play wing. Worrell can play up forward as a leading, marking forward. His athleticism combined with height allows him to be so versatile, and he is both proven in these areas as well as coming with so much upside. My point? Worrell can play in the same team as the Dude and with Worrell's forward craft and flexibilbity this gives us coverage all over the ground incuding up forward while we wait for Tyler Welsch to come on board and develop as Tex bows out.

The Dude may be gone or may not be. It is not that simple. Worrell can play various roles back, from centre half back to the third tall to Smith's rebounding flank role. He can play wing. Worrell can play up forward as a leading, marking forward. His athleticism combined with height allows him to be so versatile, and he is both proven in these areas as well as coming with so much upside. My point? Worrell can play in the same team as the Dude and with Worrell's forward craft and flexibilbity this gives us coverage all over the ground incuding up forward while we wait for Tyler Welsch to come on board and develop as Tex bows out.
I think this is a good assessment. He's not unlike Harry Himmelburg but not quite as strong. Better skills though.

Doedee may have made his mind up though about the figure he would be willing to accept and the AFC isn't willing to meet it.

Great news, he looked very good in his first game back yesterday. Provides us with good flexibility at 195cm as he can play on the tall and medium sized defenders.

If we can add in Redman next year to replace Smith then our backline is just about set

Remove this Banner Ad

Back