Former club: Murray Bushrangers
DOB: 21/08/1997
Height: 198cm
Weight: 100kg
Position: Forward

Media Phantom Drafts:

(All Pick 2 - Brisbane)

Emma Quayle:

The best key forwards are picked early in the draft, or as father-son. Schache is a natural. His midfielders loved him this year because he would mark even the most hurried kick in towards him. He's added some crash and bash to his game, and then there's the kicking for goal….

Callum Twomey:

Schache put his scores on the board early, and just kept kicking goals throughout this year to cement himself near the top of the draft order. The key forward is an excellent shot for goal, has a great engine plus the height to outmark most of the defenders he's matched up against. He kicked a record haul of 24 goals at the under-18 championships and is not a forward who needs heaps of touches to make a scoreboard impact. The Lions have identified the need for a key forward, Schache has a link there given his father Laurence played for the Bears in the 1990s, and he is happy to move from Victoria. It's a nice fit.

Sam Landsberger:

This deadly-accurate spearhead will take over Jonathan Brown’s throne in the Gabba goalsquare. Not quick, but a strong runner who slotted 62 goals this year and marks cleanly on the lead. Travis Cloke with a radar.

Brett Anderson:

“Josh is a 199cm athlete who has always been set up to be a top pick but he had to deliver when the pressure was on and he did that this year by winning the Larke Medal for the best player at the national championships. Not just a good footy player but as good a kid as I’ve ever met and just has great character. Got a great set of hands and is as good a kick as I’ve seen. Reads the game well, makes good decisions by foot and just wants to improve and does everything he can to make that happen. Has been in the program for a while and knew what he needed to improve on and to his credit he went away and did that and more. Got that fire in the belly to be the best he can possibly be.“ – Murray Bushrangers’ coach Darren Ogier

Quigley:

Pick 2 - Brisbane

Schache is a big powerful full forward who has developed really nicely this year and dominated regularly throughout the year. He kicked the most ever goals at the Champs and won the Larke Medal for the best Div 1 player. With that said I think he is far from a certainty to succeed at the next level.

The big issue for him is his pace and an inability to get separation on the lead even at junior level. When he is matched up on the bigger and quicker AFL level defenders, chances are that he is going to struggle at least early in his career when he does not enjoy the physical advantages he had over his junior opponents. Schache is a 3.2+ 20m runner and he is not an endurance machine. He has reasonably agility for a guy his size but he lacks the burst to get away from a defender. He is smart enough to get a step or two but that is going to get closed down quickly at AFL level. He is going to need to rely on his big body and strength to be effective. There is every chance he will be able to do so but he is by no means a certainty to be a dominating force.

The pace issue is obviously a major concern but apart from that there is a lot to like about Schache. He is a very tall, powerfully built, true full forward type. When he gets on the lead he is strong and is not easily moved off his line. He has very good hands above his head (probably not quite elite but close) and he takes a nice contested mark, watching the ball into the hands very well. Below his knees he is clean and shows reasonable awareness for a big guy when shovelling it out. At AFL level I expect a lot of the better defenders to play in front of him and back themselves to read the ball better coming in. Schache takes a little while to pick up the flight of the ball and a good defender is going to beat him to the spot pretty regularly. Francis showed how this could be done when they matched up at the Champs.

One of his big selling features is his goal kicking ability and he might be the best KPF kick for goal to come through in recent years. He is a left footer with an easy, uncomplicated set shot style that goes through the big sticks much more often than not. I have also been very impressed with his field kicking especially delivering it into 50. He has good hurt factor on his field kicks and tends to take good options.

Defensively, Schache is a bit of a bludger and he is very prone to having his man run off him. He lets his man go too easily and does not really work to impact defensively. What he does do though is get to dangerous spots and if there is a turnover he is in a position to impact the scoreboard. There is going to be more expected of him at AFL level but the smarts he shows in these situations will also stand him in good stead if he can get onto a team who can generate turnovers out of its forwards and mids.

Schache rucked a fair bit at junior level but I suggest he needs to improve quite a bit to do that at AFL level. In the ruck contest itself he often looks like he has no idea what he is doing. He has the height and strength to compete but he does not really use it effectively in the ruck. When the ball hits the ground he is better and around the ground he can be an effective option.

Overall I like Schache but I think he is going to take 2 or 3 years to work things out and develop his game to be effective at AFL level. Supporters are going to be frustrated with him early but I think he gets there. I struggle to see him being a Coleman contender but he will be a dangerous target who will help a team’s structure a great deal. As far as player comparisons go he reminds me most of the Rocca boys and I could see him having a career like those two.

Snoop Dog:

Pick 2 - Brisbane

Exceptional talent and one of the best key forward prospects I have seen in a while. He is a very talented player who has great height and knows how to lead to the right spots and work his opponent over. Has a good leap on him and his hands are very good and he is reliable shot for goal. He is a big boy and loves to put a bit of fear into defenders so there is a lot to like about this kid. His work at ground level is competitive and he will work the other way and has the athletic ability to apply pressure as well.

Skippos:

Pick 2 - Brisbane

Schache has to be considered the number one pick by now - partly due to performance and partly due to position. If Schache is still considered a top three prospect come draft time, with Carlton, Brisbane and potentially Gold Coast (if Dixon leaves) all desperate for a franchise key forward, it would be very surprising to see him overlooked for the number one slot. As a player he is a powerful key forward with a high endurance base, an excellent set shot and a fantastic mark of the ball. He is a one grab mark and capable of really rooting himself to the ground and giving himself a foundation in contests to resist contact and avoid being moved off the ball like a Peter Wright type was last year. The knock on Schache is, like a Tom Boyd type, that he's not very quick, occasionally struggling to create separation and has a large turning circle. At ground level he is not going to turn around his opponent. In general, Schache favours the game being played in the air as opposed to the ground - while the modern day key forward often competes in both dimensions. That said, his dominance across the championships has been unrivaled by any key forward over the last few years so he rightly demands consideration for pick one.

Knightmare:

Pick 5

Reminds me of: A less dominant Tom Lynch (Gold Coast version)/a taller, better Jay Schulz
Best position/role: Centre Half Forward with ability to play Full Forward.

Strength:
Footskills – Schache is an excellent kick of the footy. He has 50-55m of penetration but critically is a precision kick over all distances. In front of goal Schache is reliable whether he is attempting set shots or shots at goal from general play. He consistently hits his targets around the ground over a variety of distances. He has composure with ball in hand consistently making the right decisions. He lowers his eyes and at the right times and is unselfish and will hit the targets inside 50 in better positions to more easily convert. Schache overall has the ability to become one of the best general kicking big men in the game.
Vision – Schache does well to spot meaningful targets up the field or inside 50 and has the footskills to execute these kicks. He demonstrates at times an unselfishness to his game and will consistently lower his eyes and find short – medium distance targets rather than just kick long for the sake of kicking long, in order to find a meaningful target.
Decision making – Schache makes good decisions with ball in hand. He will take his time with ball in hand, make the right decision, and execute by hand or foot to his target.
Set shot goalkicking – Schache is an ultra-reliable set shot goalkicker and can be relied on in front of goal to consistently convert. He can convert consistently from a variety of distances, variety of angles and has for him what is a reliable set shot routine.
Endurance – Schache is only an average athlete by position, but where his real strength lies athletically is in his endurance. Schache is an excellent endurance running key forward and covers the ground as well as any key forward in this draft over the course of four quarters. He will go on his leads up the ground, and will work opposition key defenders over with his endurance superiority.
Marking ability – Schache is a strong mark overhead. He marks near the highest point consistently and is a one grab mark overhead. He can be at times a threatening contested mark but also will take his share of marks on the lead, and he shows a willingness at times to lead up as far as a wing to get some marks. If required Schache can push back into the back half to take intercept marks with his ability to read the flight also excellent.
Contested marking – Schache is not a dominant but still capable if not good contested mark. He can win some 1v1 marking contests and take some strong pack marks. In 1v1 contests he demonstrates excellent ability to read the flight and uses his body well in the contest to take 1v1 marks. Similarly in pack situations Schache is aided by his superior ability to read and get to the drop of the ball for best position, and has the height and strength of marking overhead to take the grab. Overall as a marking thread I consider Schache more finesse than power stylistically, though still effective.
Ability to read the flight – Schache reads the flight of the ball very well. He gets to the drop of the ball consistently and rarely if ever caught out of position in a marking contest. He also while he does not usually play in defence, also has the ability behind the play to take intercept marks.
Ground level ability – Schache has excellent co-ordination below his knees for a key forward. He picks the ball up relatively cleanly off the deck and does not normally fumble when collecting the ground balls. So he is more than just a marking forward and has the blend of marking and ground level ability.
Ability to keep his feet – Schache has a real balance to him and in the contest he consistently keeps his feet and rarely goes to ground which makes him a real threat when the ball hits the deck and he only has the one defender to beat, with his strength and ability to win the ground ball.
Size and strength – Schache is a tall key forward and also has good size and strength to him for his age. He has good strength through the legs for his age to stand up in 1v1 contests and in pack situations he has reasonably good strength overhead but also excellent bodywork to allow him to take his share of contested marks with regularity. Schache has small looking arms and small shoulders which may mean that he does not develop into a beast of a contested marking target, but he should still be more than strong enough to have an impact.
Ability to play multiple positions – Schache while best suited as a key forward also has the ability to be a plausible relief ruckman at AFL level. His limitation through the ruck is a lack of leaping ability or that real towering strength so he won’t win many hitouts but he covers the ground well and has an excellent skillset and could push forward or back and take a mark so as a relief ruckman given his height he would also be sufficient in that role. He also has the attributes to become a very good key defender and swing back if required because he reads the flight so well and as a result with his marking ability can take intercept marks, so if the situation requires it, that’s something he can certainly do if required. Through the ruck though I feel Schache will struggle at AFL level, he isn’t 200cm+ or a particularly good leaper. He has the endurance so as a ruckman he could find the ball around the ground and he could certainly push forward or back and take some marks, and probably follow up reasonably well at ground level and win some ground ball at times, making good decisions when he does win it, but none the less it’s not something I’d be personally comfortable with, and something I hope he isn’t pushed into doing as someone who certainly looks best suited as a forward.

Question marks:
Athleticism – Schache is only an average athlete overall. His endurance is an excellent by position. Outside of endurance, Schache has good agility by position as a fluid mover for someone at his height and is able to change directions fine which are further positives. Schache is not extremely explosive over shorter distances though he can at times create separation on the lead due to his sheer work rate and working his guys over. Additionally his leaping ability although he is able to leap and take marks, his limited leaping ability will to some extent limit him slightly in terms of marking ability in the air but more so from the standpoint that it will likely limit his ability to play minutes through the ruck, not that I’d necessarily want to see him in the ruck anyway with Schache a natural key forward.

Weaknesses:
Tackling and pressure game – The relative weakness with Schache is in his tackling and pressure game. His tackle per game numbers are low, and his chasing and tackling effort by position are below average and will require further growth and should be much better for someone with his motor.
Dominance – Schache while he is good at a lot of things and a particularly impressive kick with excellent height but he doesn’t have one point of difference that makes me see him as an out and out star, and other than through the u18 championships where Schache played some really impressive footy, the rest of his season was good without being great and given this he most probably will only be a very good but not great key forward.

Summary:
Schache has the ability to be a 200 gamer and has the ability to develop into one of the better young key forwards in the game if things go right. Schache I expect will take a few seasons to develop and likely around season three or four come into his own and be a key piece to build around.

News Articles:

Possible No.1 draft pick Schache keen to 'finish off' his late dad's work at Brisbane

As a likely early pick, Schache hears the talk about his draft chances. He is, of course, happy to go anywhere and wear any colours, and is happy his form is being noticed. But with the Brisbane Lions struggling near the bottom of the ladder – and in desperate need of a young tall forward – he thinks it would mean a little more if they called his name at the end of this year.

"I think that'd be pretty cool if I ended up at Brisbane. I could go back to where dad was and finish off what he did there," Schache said.

620JSplatform.jpg

Meet Draftee Joshua Schache

How much value do you place on goals? Because Schache is the forward who amassed more shots at goal than anyone in the draft. He was a regular goalkicker this year, including a record haul of 24 in the under-18 carnival and 34 in seven games at TAC Cup level.

His accuracy in set shots is also terrific, with some recruiters believing the left-footer has the best kicking technique of any draftee who has come through the system in recent years.

At 199cm, Schache has top-end endurance for a player his size (he runs a 14.1 beep test) and he works over opponents. Schache will also likely be called upon to play as a pinch-hitting ruckman in the AFL, a role he took on at stages during the season.

He marks well above his head, added a harder-edge to his craft this season and has dominated plenty of games. He will be a deserving early selection.

Brown: "Give Him Time"

LIONS legend Jonathan Brown says Brisbane supporters must be patient with young gun Josh Schache.

The key forward is all but certain to be taken at pick No.2 by Brisbane in the AFL national draft in Adelaide.

Carlton have the first selection and have had limited contact with Schache in the build-up to the annual meat market with the Blues set to pick key defender Jacob Weitering.

In contrast, Lions officials have visited the Schache family home in Seymour, north of Melbourne, and plan to hand him the No.23 jumper, the same number worn by his late father Laurence at the Brisbane Bears.

AFL draft 2015: Josh Schache follows his late father's footsteps

When Josh Schache was a little boy his father would get home at the end of the day, lie beside him on his bed and throw a small, soft football up into the air so that Josh could jump up and mark it. They did it again and again, over and over. It was the way they ended every single day. "I'd be in the next room, hearing the ball go bang, bang, bang on the wall," said Josh's mother Rachel, looking across at him. "It was your little ritual. Can you remember that?"

It's a little too long ago. Other things have stuck, like playing kick to kick in the backyard with his dad, and the long, woolly socks he always used to wear. Josh was only five the night his father died but he can remember that better than anything: sitting on the couch watching TV with him minutes before he collapsed, going into the kitchen where his mum was, seeing the ambulance arrive.

When Laurence Schache was diagnosed with cardio amyloidosis, a rare and incurable heart disease, he was told he might have a few years to live. He died just 10 weeks later. "I can still remember the night and still sort of see it all happening," said Josh. "I've always remembered it."

1448171464550.jpg

I think he's the most exciting draft pick since we drafted Daniel Rich.
Without doubt it is only just hitting me how exciting it is to officially have this young man in Lions colours. We have been chatting about it as a genuine prospect since what May? And it finally became a reality last week. Not only is he an A grade prospect but he seems like a terrific young man as well and seems genuine when he says that he is excited to be a Lion. I don't think there is any go home factor with this one:thumbsu:

Seems pretty relaxed. Sauce is probably the perfect guy to make Schache feel at home and help him settle into Brisbane.

Checking In With Our Draftees

Josh Schache: Super impressive in his early stages and has not missed a beat. Not only a good runner, but it surpisingly big through his lower body and already lookin at home with contested work.

Schache Has Proved His Worth Today

Josh Schache’s stellar performance in today's game play simulation confirmed his worth to Lions coaching staff.

The Club’s first pick in the 2015 National Draft kicked four goals as the Lions ramped up pre-season training in humid conditions. The group played four, 15-minute match simulation quarters to round out training for the week.

Even an 8.30am start didn't help the Lions beat the heat as the mercury climbed towards 34 degrees with 76% humidity.

Midfield coach Simon Black said 18-year-old Schache’s performance was hard to ignore.

411840_nl.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd Pick Him... No Joshing Around

While Zorko urged Lions fans and footy pundits to be patient, the vice-captain predicted Schache wouldn’t look out of place should he be picked to represent the Lions in their first clash of the season against the West Coast Eagles.

“I’d have him in the side,” Zorko told foxsports.com.au.

“He’s a very impressive young man. I’d love to see him out there.

“Hopefully he’s going to be a superstar for the club for many years.”

I would just let the young man find his feet first. Get his head around playing against men/bigger bodies and work on leading patterns/defensive pressure/game plan. Once this all starts to click and the Seniors is fairly healthy (don't want him the sole focus) give him some run of games throughout the year (2/3) just to keep that fire burning and to see first hand the step up required. The two articles on Lions website are great for his confidence but Iets just keep our hopes in check first.

I can understand what jjami is saying. About keeping our hopes in check. But this kid is seriously ready to go. I watched him tackle merrett the other week at training and took him down with ease and they where training at around 90%. He leads hard and kicks them 55-60 as straight as a laser. Whats not to like. I predict this thread to be 10 pages long by the end of this season.

I can understand what jjami is saying. About keeping our hopes in check. But this kid is seriously ready to go. I watched him tackle merrett the other week at training and took him down with ease and they where training at around 90%. He leads hard and kicks them 55-60 as straight as a laser. Whats not to like. I predict this thread to be 10 pages long by the end of this season.
way early but from the intra club hit out on friday josh schache looked like the player who had a few off seasons under his belt and jono freeman was the new boy. josh also showed a few good signs re his disposal quality as well and he looks physically pretty advanced in the legs although a little light on proportionally in the upper body. if he shows the same signs in the NAB challenge he will be selected, i'm sure any body and fatigue issues will be monitored closely and he will be rested or have a stint in the NEAFL when needed.

Brisbane prepared to offer Josh Schache a five-year deal

BRISBANE are prepared to offer top draft pick Josh Schache a five year deal before he has played a senior game.

Francis said the two parties were not at a stage where remuneration or the length of the contract had been offered and said the meeting was the first the club had held with McDonald since Schache was drafted.

But Swann said it was Brisbane’s intention to try to lock the key forward away on a long-term deal.

It is unusual for a draftee to be given such a long contract, especially before they have played a game.

However the Suns did it with young West Australian Jack Martin who is about to enter his second season and is set to be a star of the competition.

“We are happy to do longer terms and obviously we want him to be around for a long time, the problem is how you determine what his worth is in year three, four, or five,’’ Swann said.

“That is what has to be negotiated.’’

Schache the best youngster I've seen: Rockliff

"I don't want to put any pressure on the kid, but he's as good an 18-year-old player as I've ever seen," Rockliff told SEN on Wednesday morning.

Schache, selection No.2 in last year's NAB AFL Draft, booted four goals to star in the club's trial match last in hot and humid conditions in Brisbane last Friday.

Rockliff's comments come as reports circulate the Lions are set to offer the young key forward a new five-year deal before he even plays a game.

"If you had have been up here on Friday and saw our trial match I would've given him a 15-year contract," Rockliff said.

The Lions skipper provided fans with an insight into what makes Schache, who stands at 199cm and 96kg, so special.

"His patterns are unbelievable as a forward," Rockliff said.

"He was doing numbers on Daniel Merrett and Harris Andrews, who was outstanding for us last year.

"I think I've seen him miss one goal – he hit the post on Friday. That's the first set-shot goal I've seen him miss all pre-season, so that says a little bit about his kicking technique.

"He can kick them from outside 50 no worries and his hands are as good I've seen. He's only an 18-year-old but it's going to be so good to watch him when he's 23 or 24."

I'm just hoping he has some luck injury wise so he can get a good run on his development in the next couple of years.If he's picked each week even better.
Yeah it would be interesting to see what his injury history was in his juniors.

'He will take time': Lions legend Brown urges patience on Schache

"The thing about key position players is they take a long time to develop," he said at the Brisbane Lions Hall of Fame launch on Thursday.

"We certainly hope that the people out there, the supporters and public don't expect too much of a young kid like Schache. We've heard some impressive things already, and Rocky's calling for a 15-year contract which is music to my ears … but he will take time.

"Jesse Hogan bounced on to the scene last year and I haven't seen anything like that in 20 or 30 years so that's not the norm for young key position players."

It's not just the external pressure on the key forward that Brown is concerned about.

The triple premiership Lion is adamant the key forward must be careful about the expectations and pressure he placed on himself.

"I think at the end of the day, he knows how to play forward naturally," Brown said.

"I think it's just being really patient and not putting too much expectation on yourself. Listen, learn and come with an attitude that 'I'm going to work really hard and be the best footballer I can be'.

"I've heard he's got a great attitude and wants to be in Brisbane which is refreshing. I look forward to sitting back and watching."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back