jack_mcdonald93

Senior List
Dec 17, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Miami Heat (NBA), Liverpool (EPL)
I've had knee problems (right knee specifically) for about two years. Nothing serious, just pains after any sort of hard running - such as cricket and football training.

I've had an X-ray on it in the past which showed nothing and the doctor just recommended rest. Around four-five weeks ago, I was kicked in the knee cap during a match and this caused an almost unbearable amount of pain. I had the knee taped up and played through the game, the pain subsiding considerably afterward.

Ever since this, my knee has been very painful (more so than in the past) whilst doing any hard running (sprinting). To compound to this, about two weeks ago I took a mark at training and felt my knee twist on landing.

I've played on since with my knee heavily strapped, but after every game and after the removal of the strapping, the knee has almost felt jelly-like, in that it feels very unstable and I have to sit for a moment until it returns to feeling normal.

I am planning on seeing a doctor but have been unable to get an appointment :rolleyes:. Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be? Cheers for reading the long post. :thumbsu:

I've had knee problems (right knee specifically) for about two years. Nothing serious, just pains after any sort of hard running - such as cricket and football training.

I've had an X-ray on it in the past which showed nothing and the doctor just recommended rest. Around four-five weeks ago, I was kicked in the knee cap during a match and this caused an almost unbearable amount of pain. I had the knee taped up and played through the game, the pain subsiding considerably afterward.

Ever since this, my knee has been very painful (more so than in the past) whilst doing any hard running (sprinting). To compound to this, about two weeks ago I took a mark at training and felt my knee twist on landing.

I've played on since with my knee heavily strapped, but after every game and after the removal of the strapping, the knee has almost felt jelly-like, in that it feels very unstable and I have to sit for a moment until it returns to feeling normal.

I am planning on seeing a doctor but have been unable to get an appointment :rolleyes:. Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be? Cheers for reading the long post. :thumbsu:

Sounds like cartilage damage, get an MRI scan and see a respected knee surgeon/physio. Doctors and X-rays are completely useless with respect to assessing knee injuries.

Hope someone checks this.

Yesterday while playing footy I went up for a grab and I landed on the ground I think hyper extending my left knee, i think as i didnt see how i landed. I thought nothing of it, just in real bad pain in my left knee kept playing the rest of the game, iced it up after it and what not. Went home had a few beers with some mates watching the footy and all of a sudden my knee was swollen really badly, triple the size of normal and cannot walk on it or move it or put weight on it. cant put socks on or anything without pain, could anyone know what this might be, or is it just really swollen? and will hopefuly go down within the next few days as finials are coming up?

please help!

Yesterday while playing footy I went up for a grab and I landed on the ground I think hyper extending my left knee, i think as i didnt see how i landed. I thought nothing of it, just in real bad pain in my left knee kept playing the rest of the game, iced it up after it and what not. Went home had a few beers with some mates watching the footy and all of a sudden my knee was swollen really badly, triple the size of normal and cannot walk on it or move it or put weight on it. cant put socks on or anything without pain, could anyone know what this might be, or is it just really swollen? and will hopefuly go down within the next few days as finials are coming up?

please help!

See a doctor or a physio.

Don't see a an average GP though, as they will just say rest and anti-inflams.
See a Physio or a sports doctor as they will test the integrity of the knee.
Did the knee give way on you when you continued to play?

Don't see a an average GP though, as they will just say rest and anti-inflams.
See a Physio or a sports doctor as they will test the integrity of the knee.
Did the knee give way on you when you continued to play?

It just hurt whenever I ran on it, there were times where I fell onto it and coundnt bare the pain but yeah didnt give way on me. The swelling is still like a balloon when I woke up this morning. killing me, should I check it asap?

Thanks

I wouldn't waste your money with a physio. Get an MRI which will show conclusively any cartledge damage or ligament damage. Then you can best treat it. Sometimes the physio will muck around with you for a few weeks fleecing your cash only for you to have something like floating cartledge which would need to be removed by an orthopeadic surgeon.

I tore my lateral meniscus (cartilage) in my knee a few months ago. The symptoms I got were - Felt like lower hamstring pain, after exercise it hurt to walk, get in and out of cars but this is all because of the bending of the leg. An orthopedic surgeon or a physio will be able to give you an idea of what injury it could be however they will say get an MRI to be certain.

please help!

I have done this exact injury, my knee swelled up massively. See an orthapedic surgeon asap.

I tore my lateral meniscus (cartilage) in my knee a few months ago. The symptoms I got were - Felt like lower hamstring pain, after exercise it hurt to walk, get in and out of cars but this is all because of the bending of the leg. An orthopedic surgeon or a physio will be able to give you an idea of what injury it could be however they will say get an MRI to be certain.

Yeah I get that exact same thing ( except hamstring feeling as I've never done one ) I can't get out of bed without hurting. I will be playing on it this weekend as its a must win game for finals. And if we make I will play.

how expensive is an orrthopedic surgeon ?

Yeah I get that exact same thing ( except hamstring feeling as I've never done one ) I can't get out of bed without hurting. I will be playing on it this weekend as its a must win game for finals. And if we make I will play.

how expensive is an orrthopedic surgeon ?
You shouldn't be playing with a torn cartilage. The tear could easily expand and once you get it fixed you could end up with no cartilage if enough of it is torn. A physio or orthopedic surgeon will do the Mcmurray's test. Type it into youtube and you should be able to do it yourself and this is the test they do to check if your meniscus is torn. If you get a sharp pain then that is what it is at the very least (cartilage can tear along with ligaments at the same time).

To get it fixed you have to get arthroscopic surgery. If you don't have any insurance it will cost you about $4000 and the rehab is about 2 months.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Firstly, the mechanism of injury (assuming you did hyperextend) can potential damage significant structures, most notably ACL and meniscus.

You may also just jarred the joint and pinched some structures, so don't fret immediately.

Get it assessed pronto.
I wouldn't waste your money with a physio. Get an MRI which will show conclusively any cartledge damage or ligament damage. Then you can best treat it. Sometimes the physio will muck around with you for a few weeks fleecing your cash only for you to have something like floating cartledge which would need to be removed by an orthopeadic surgeon.
What a load of BS.

If you have had a bad experience you shouldn't let that cloud your view of an entire profession.
I got ripped off by a mechanic once. Doesn't mean I never use mechanics or I think what they do is BS, I just changed mechanics and found a good one.
End rant. :cool:

A good sports physio or sports physician can save you the $$$ of an MRI if there is no significant damage, i.e. you don't need an MRI to tell you you have jarred the joints or pinched the joint capsule.

The clinical tests that diagnose ligament tears and meniscal damage to other joint strucutres are extremely accurate, especially with the knee. Most experienced physios are proficient in these tests.......and moreso an experienced sports physio could do them in his/her sleep.

If you need an MRI, do so through an orthpaedic surgeon as they get a bigger rebate via medicare and its costs you less.

Hope this helps.

A physio or orthopedic surgeon will do the Mcmurray's test. Type it into youtube and you should be able to do it yourself and this is the test they do to check if your meniscus is torn.
Just a word of caution on this.

The McMurrays test has very good sensitivity (i.e. a negative test means you can all but rule out a meniscus injury) but lower specificity (a positive does not necessarily mean you have an injury to the meniscus but may indicate other structures).

For example, people with pain behind the knee cap (patello-femoral pain) will often have pain with a McMurrays test because the twisting motion of the test stresses the patello-femoral joint as well.

Any joint capsule irritation will also test as a positive for the same reason.

While the test look simple the results are interpreted with the entire clinical picture and other tests to produce a diagnosis.

Just update according to my trainer he says its nothing just really bad swelling on the knee. thanks all for your help appreciate it alot, good to see so many people out there willing to help.

Is your trainer a qualified doctor/physio? If not I suggest you go see one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back