La Mascotte Football Club and Shield

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 21, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
Just recently I was on Facebook and came across a reference to a Club that formerly played in the Essendon District Football League called the La Mascotte Football Club. The Facebook reference had photos of the club's 1939 and 1941 premierships and a write up of one player who played with the team who later played for Essendon. The player may have been Harold Lambert. The team existed in the EDFL from 1938-1941 but did not reform after the War recess of the EDFL 1941-45. The club played in a royal blue and yellow paneled jumper with a blue LMFC monogram in the middle panel. C.Spratling 1938, H.Lambert 1939, and W.King 1940, all from the La Mascotte Club, won the EDFL Best & Fairest award. Unfortunately, I can't find the Facebook posting on the Club.

In 1922 a D.C.Hellings donated the La Mascotte Shield to the Melbourne Districts Football Association for the Premiers of the competition. This competition became the VFL Sub Districts in 1925 and the shield remained the trophy for the premiers until 1932 when the Kew Club retained the shield permanently as they were the first club to win it three times. This was usually the custom of the time regarding trophies and awards. The La Mascotte Shield was replaced by a shield donated by Ross Faulkner of Thornbury. This shield remained as the trophy for the VFL Subdistricts and the Metropolitan League which succeeded the VFL Sub Districts in 1950.

1) What is the meaning and significance of the La Mascotte name ???? I can't find any reference to it that explains its use.
2) What ever happened to the La Mascotte Shield ? Is it on the changeroom walls of the Kew FC or has it disappeared?
3) Ditto for the Ross Faulkner Shield that was its replacement. Where did it end up??
4) Can you add any information on the La Mascotte Football Club ?? Where did it play? Why was it formed? History.

Just recently I was on Facebook and came across a reference to a Club that formerly played in the Essendon District Football League called the La Mascotte Football Club. The Facebook reference had photos of the club's 1939 and 1941 premierships and a write up of one player who played with the team who later played for Essendon. The player may have been Harold Lambert. The team existed in the EDFL from 1938-1941 but did not reform after the War recess of the EDFL 1941-45. The club played in a royal blue and yellow paneled jumper with a blue LMFC monogram in the middle panel. C.Spratling 1938, H.Lambert 1939, and W.King 1940, all from the La Mascotte Club, won the EDFL Best & Fairest award. Unfortunately, I can't find the Facebook posting on the Club.

In 1922 a D.C.Hellings donated the La Mascotte Shield to the Melbourne Districts Football Association for the Premiers of the competition. This competition became the VFL Sub Districts in 1925 and the shield remained the trophy for the premiers until 1932 when the Kew Club retained the shield permanently as they were the first club to win it three times. This was usually the custom of the time regarding trophies and awards. The La Mascotte Shield was replaced by a shield donated by Ross Faulkner of Thornbury. This shield remained as the trophy for the VFL Subdistricts and the Metropolitan League which succeeded the VFL Sub Districts in 1950.

1) What is the meaning and significance of the La Mascotte name ???? I can't find any reference to it that explains its use.
2) What ever happened to the La Mascotte Shield ? Is it on the changeroom walls of the Kew FC or has it disappeared?
3) Ditto for the Ross Faulkner Shield that was its replacement. Where did it end up??
4) Can you add any information on the La Mascotte Football Club ?? Where did it play? Why was it formed? History.

W King 1940 is Billy King who played for South Melbourne.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Further to the La Mascotte name is that there was a La Mascotte Cricket Club that played in the Victorian Junior Cricket Association with success. It played on the Victoria Park ground. It amalgamated with another junior club from the Fitzroy area' the Capulet Cricket Club in 1906 to form the Collingwood Cricket Club which was immediately admitted to the Victorian Districts CA for the 1906-07 season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back