Player Watch Lachie Schultz

Remove this Banner Ad

Let’s all remember that it’s not Schultz’s fault that we paid so much at the trade table to get him. Blame for that rests on our recruitment team. As a club we still haven’t learned to buy low and sell high. The other clubs must love trading with us.

Let’s judge Schultz on what he can control - his output and contribution to team performance - not on trade metrics that he had no say in nor control over.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He'll improve no doubt but his first four games for us are giving me a slightly taller version Jarryd Blair vibes who was a rookie pick up.

I'm off to follow carlton now cause I'm not a true believer like the ones sugarcoating his abysmal performances in our colours to date.....

You can feel he is going to tear a game apart very soon. I love his presence in the forward line and it was great to hear Nick Daicos talk him up after the game.

The whole club has been in damage control re Schultz this week.
They are definitely getting around him.
The outside noise must be filtering through a bit to the inner sanctum.

It's the trade cost that is the issue if we have a poor season. Hopefully we start a run of wins now and finish top 4, then it doesn't look as bad.

He is a little bull at stoppages, his efforts with beau led directly to crisps goal

He goes 3, 4 times in a row and sticks tackles

Ginni is probably a smarter natural forward that can find space but our game is predicated on pressure

Knockers need to lay off and give the bloke a chance.
He’s new to the side, playing a difficult role when the delivery to F50 has been awful for the most part of the games so far this season.

Too many were harsh with Dan McStay early last year too. Once he was back from injury he was good a consistent 2 goals a game and a lot of other good that stats don’t show. Now he’s well respected and I’m sure almost everyone would love to see him back.

Schultz is getting the same treatment. He does a lot off the ball. The club released a video showing his efforts last week, probably to squash the criticism he’s been receiving.

Give the bloke a chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's been extremely underwhelming, a lot of copium around here. He's got a long way to go to be worth what we paid, we'll probably finish between 6-12, is that sort of pick worth his production to date, hell no. Dude needs to get his act together.

Most pressure acts on the ground, 6 tackles and 4 score involvement. Clearly bringing energy, he just needs to nail the set shots and snaps when he gets the opportunity.

Still very confident it’ll work out. We are a systems based forward line without stand out stars and it takes a while to know your spot, same with McStay who perhaps people expected too much from earlier but found his role which we all miss now.

Let’s all remember that it’s not Schultz’s fault that we paid so much at the trade table to get him. Blame for that rests on our recruitment team. As a club we still haven’t learned to buy low and sell high. The other clubs must love trading with us.

Let’s judge Schultz on what he can control - his output and contribution to team performance - not on trade metrics that he had no say in nor control over.

That's a great point. Schulz or any player traded has nothing to do with the pick value used to gain them.

He is ranked 5th for us for tackles inside 50 from the 4 game sample so far. And fortunately the 4 ahead of him are forwards and not midefielders. And if he was producing what he had at Freo he would be 2nd, have an extra couple goals and 5 extra touches a game.
So fair that their is some disappointment so far.
But our team isn't gelling so far, even DeGoey is getting 10 touches a game less than what we were hoping. Maybe as the teams chemistry improves he will start to benefit more and land in the same boat as Tarranto last year where he started to excel at this point of the season.

He'll improve no doubt but his first four games for us are giving me a slightly taller version Jarryd Blair vibes who was a rookie pick up.

I'm off to follow carlton now cause I'm not a true believer like the ones sugarcoating his abysmal performances in our colours to date.....
Abysmal performances?

Wow, talk about showing up your lack of judgement.

Off to Carlton you go. You’ll do well spitting on your own team with the rest of their “fans”.

He’s only had one week where the team played near it’s potential. Getting to know your team mates little habits and patterns in match play takes some time and he’s been doing the basic stuff well unlike some others over the past few weeks. It is even harder when the team has been below its best. Think he’ll be fine.

Do you not know what he achieved at Freo? He is a matchwinner on his day and not Blair like at all.

If you still think our first rounder is going to be a top 10 pick, I dunno what to tell you!
But also, who cares if it is, people place way too much stock in the draft... Let's assume we won't be in the bottom 5 so at worst it's a pick between 6-10 using a few drafts that has given players enough time to establish themselves
2020 draft
6. Denver Grainger barras, 7.Elijah Hollands, 8. Nik Cox, 9. Archie Perkins, 10. Zach Reid
2017 draft to give even more time
6. Jaidyn Stephenson, 7. Hunter Clark, 8. Nick Coffield, 9. Aaron Naughton, 10. Lachie O'brien

I just used two random drafts so I have no doubt you could find better examples of quality but I just won't be investing the time, out of those 10 players I'd take Schultz over all of them except Perkins and Naughton..

Trade value is irrelevant the minute a player walks into the front door for the first time.

And even more irrelevant to be trying to measure it in hindsight , or forecast our ladder position, after just four games.

He’s slowly showing his worth and alongside mccrreery and Elliot, our small forwards are now becoming defensive weapons along with Bobby who is mostly all attack. He just needs to build on that and get some easy possessions and goals. That will come with time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back