Player Watch Lachie Schultz

Remove this Banner Ad

He's been extremely underwhelming, a lot of copium around here. He's got a long way to go to be worth what we paid, we'll probably finish between 6-12, is that sort of pick worth his production to date, hell no. Dude needs to get his act together.

Who the hell says copium. This isn't Twitch.

The whole club has been in damage control re Schultz this week.
They are definitely getting around him.
The outside noise must be filtering through a bit to the inner sanctum.

It's the trade cost that is the issue if we have a poor season. Hopefully we start a run of wins now and finish top 4, then it doesn't look as bad.
I’ve never been a fan of giving away future firsts; huge risk with little reward.

Though my brother (I won’t take credit) had a good point, even if the wheels do full off this season it would still depend on how DeMattia turns out, if he turns out to be an all out champion then giving away our future first will in the end be OK.

I’ve never been a fan of giving away future firsts; huge risk with little reward.

Though my brother (I won’t take credit) had a good point, even if the wheels do full off this season it would still depend on how DeMattia turns out, if he turns out to be an all out champion then giving away our future first will in the end be OK.

That is a point although a counter view may see it that we didn't need to do the trade at all and that backing in what we have for internal growth would of sufficed in said role ie a H.Harrison.

It’s actually the opposite.
The club is attempting to reduce risk and uncertainty by getting a known qty.

The only risk is that the pick becomes top5. If it’s not top 5, then it’s fine in my book.
Would you say, when we did that deal, that the top5 pick was a high or low risk?
Also, as an aside….what’s this years top20 talent like? In the range of 10-20 in particular?
Are draft picks likely to be pushed out again?

I really don’t understand the old school
fascination with draft picks.

The only risk is that the pick becomes top5. If it’s not top 5, then it’s fine in my book.
Would you say, when we did that deal, that the top5 pick was a high or low risk?
Also, as an aside….what’s this years top20 talent like? In the range of 10-20 in particular?

Agree.

Part of trading future picks is the belief and confidence that you WONT drop to bottom five on the ladder. That can’t be guaranteed but it’s a calculated risk that is taken. Even in 2020 when we did it and we shouldn’t have in hindsight, it didn’t actually cost us a top five pick anyway as it was going to be spent one way or the other on Nick points. It’s just that ( again in hindsight) it should have been traded on 2021 draft night.

Agree.

Part of trading future picks is the belief and confidence that you WONT drop to bottom five on the ladder. That can’t be guaranteed but it’s a calculated risk that is taken. Even in 2020 when we did it and we shouldn’t have in hindsight, it didn’t actually cost us a top five pick anyway as it was going to be spent one way or the other on Nick points. It’s just that ( again in hindsight) it should have been traded on 2021 draft night.
100%.
never a fan of trading F1 picks for picks.
the F1 will always be diluted in the trade because the value is largely unknown.

2020 decision to move out of F1 was baffling (without hindsight) in that the pick would have been worth a lot more once teams knew what pick it was....whatever it ended up being.
So yes, whilst it didn't ultimately affect the Nick component....it did mean we couldn't strengthen our future drafts.

This Shultz pick discussion is exactly the opposite of the 2020 trade.
If you're getting a player at 25 that walks into your team (and your already a top 8 team).....then that's most definitely worth a 10-20 pick in a compromised draft.
Its also probably worth a 5-20 pick.....

I will need to think more about it to change my perspective on future firsts, but appreciate your civil response.

100%.
never a fan of trading F1 picks for picks.
the F1 will always be diluted in the trade because the value is largely unknown.

2020 decision to move out of F1 was baffling (without hindsight) in that the pick would have been worth a lot more once teams knew what pick it was....whatever it ended up being.
So yes, whilst it didn't ultimately affect the Nick component....it did mean we couldn't strengthen our future drafts.
don’t get me wrong, I’m on the fence on this . The club can do what it chooses.

That said the 2020 trade season was a fire sale/basket case for reasons discussed ad nauseum. The6 just wanted the Nick points tied up, could have waited a year to get more points and maybe we would have had another second or third round to take to the draft. Whatever…..

Three years later though we have a premiership after missing out on a GF spot the year before by the barest of margins. Which just shows trading/drafting isn’t everything….

Last edited:
I will need to think more about it to change my perspective on future firsts, but appreciate your civil response.
I enjoy the differing opinions. Whether I agree or not.

We all get the benefit of hindsight in this.
I just think we, as supporters, tend to jump to conclusions too quickly. We also compare apples and oranges with trades.
Lastly, we also don’t have all the detailed info that the club has.

Personally, I was comfortable with the price when we made the deal and I’m still comfortable with it….despite Lachie not shining just yet.

Just my opinion.

I enjoy the differing opinions. Whether I agree or not.

We all get the benefit of hindsight in this.
I just think we, as supporters, tend to jump to conclusions too quickly. We also compare apples and oranges with trades.
Lastly, we also don’t have all the detailed info that the club has.

Personally, I was comfortable with the price when we made the deal and I’m still comfortable with it….despite Lachie not shining just yet.

Just my opinion.
I cant believe it mate, jeez we have some nuffie fans, piling on him when he's moved from a completely different set up and gameplan over at freo.

He was never gonna set the world on fire straight away. Works his backside off, pressure through the roof, and the goals will come on the back of it. Reef worked so hard bringing it to ground on thursday, makes a massive difference

It takes time to mesh with team mates and the game plan.
As long as he is team first, which l believe he is, the goals will come

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I cant believe it mate, jeez we have some nuffie fans, piling on him when he's moved from a completely different set up and gameplan over at freo.

He was never gonna set the world on fire straight away. Works his backside off, pressure through the roof, and the goals will come on the back of it. Reef worked so hard bringing it to ground on thursday, makes a massive difference
McStay started off quite slow as well, plenty of time.

FWIW, he's always had a tendency to go missing disposal wise and have quiter games. But you can never fault his intensity or workrate.
Not surprised by his start for you guys, played a lot of meh games for us, but every 4 or 5 weeks he'd kick a bag.

He was getting a bit more of the ball for us, maybe that's because you hold your forwards a bit better than we do? Hope he does well for you, he's great to watch when he's on and seems like a ripper bloke!
Inconsistent attacking results is the lot of most small forwards. Bring the defensive heat consistently, keep the spacing and run the patterns you're told to run and execute when chances fall your way - that's the job.

Last edited:

The other factor I find strange is that the use of a pick in a trade is judged so differently than using it in the draft. It's recruiting capital either way used to try to improve your team, but...

If you use pick 15 in a trade for a bloke that doesn't contribute as much as hoped and plays 50 mediocre games, it's a disaster that gets complained about for years. If you use pick 15 on a bloke that doesn't play a single game - noone cares -thats just what happens in the draft...

We traded a future second rounder for Murray and a future third - complete disaster. The next year, we traded a future second for the Bianco pick and a future third - not a single eyebrow raised despite it being exactly the same trade for two promising kids. I know which one I thought had more potential - the complete disaster trade.

The other factor I find strange is that the use of a pick in a trade is judged so differently than using it in the draft. It's recruiting capital either way used to try to improve your team, but...

If you use pick 15 in a trade for a bloke that doesn't contribute as much as hoped and plays 50 mediocre games, it's a disaster that gets complained about for years. If you use pick 15 on a bloke that doesn't play a single game - noone cares -thats just what happens in the draft...

We traded a future second rounder for Murray and a future third - complete disaster. The next year, we traded a future second for the Bianco pick and a future third - not a single eyebrow raised despite it being exactly the same trade for two promising kids. I know which one I thought had more potential - the complete disaster trade.
Agree 1000%.

Feel like I’ve derailed this thread enough (sorry mods)…so going to bow out of the trade conversation.

Maybe revisit it at the end of the season when there is more evidence for an informed decision (and we know what pick it actually ends up being post draft night).

Dave. Please. 6 tackles. His pressure is what we got him for. The goals will come.

1 Touch in a Half

Need more then that

It will Come but been Average Form Start of Season

Don’t agree with you for the most part.
But this felt like the club responding to noise….

Wasn’t a fan of it either.
I’m all for them supporting their players but agree this video did not need to happen after just three games. Selwood needs to up his media presentation skills if they want to repeat this type of report. Could be very informative tool but in this case I agree it was a knee jerk response to social media whinges.

I’m all for them supporting their players but agree this video did not need to happen after just three games. Selwood needs to up his media presentation skills if they want to repeat this type of report. Could be very informative tool but in this case I agree it was a knee jerk response to social media whinges.
Nah was just a puff piece. Hated it.
Club doesn’t need to speak on players…..otherwise we’ll be getting weekly stuff.

Just let it roll for a few weeks….

I'm all for the club supporting the boys in any way possible. I wrote a previous post how most of us turn on players in poor form then sing praises when they turn it around. Obviously you can critique but calling the trade a loss after 3-4 games is jumping the gun a little.

Now Joey richards is in form, all the smalls should lift knowing they need to perform or JR might be getting a run

Remove this Banner Ad

Back