Player Watch Lachie Schultz

Remove this Banner Ad

How can you say no draftee can ever be that good at tackling when you literally just listed McCreery as ranking above Schultz and we got him as a pick 44 where he became best 22 in year 1? If we were to trade McCreery, we wouldn't get a first and second round for him even though he's a better pressure forward than Schultz, is younger, better athletic traits and higher upside.

No pick 10-20 will break into this Collingwood side? Have you watched Darcy Wilson play? You don't think he'd get a game above Sullivan/HH/Markov? He would be a good candidate to replace Sidebottom this year as a winger who's output has fallen off a cliff.
Maybe you should wait till the end of the year before you blow smoke up a fist year players ass. Most of the guys you've mentioned probably won't be in the side by the end of the year. It's a big ask for a first year player

He is what he is, a good role player but no star.
The bigger issue is the way we got bent over by Freo.
We should have just called their bluff and walked away from the trade at the price we paid.
We traded Henry for less and he’s a much better player than Shultz.
Exactly this. If we had given up a second rounder for him which is what he's worth then we would have no qualms dropping him if his form isn't up to scratch. Instead the talk of purely pressure and running patterns as his role is what people say about the likes of WHE, Mayne, Varcoe, Blair, Goldsack to justify their selection. And they were all certainly important role players but it's also clear that they were very much fringe and it's quite easy to find similar replacements with late picks.

good post

however, price is always relevant and your entire argument relies on "Schultz being the one or at the very least, contributing to us 'threatening to go back2back'! I don't see it.

play HH instead of Schultz and what's the delta in output (this year and into the future)?

sure, ya likely get more tackles outta Schultz but HH by the end of the year and into next, will be a mainstay, is a powerful unit, is quicker, has cleaner hands, is arguably better with ball-in-hand (right now) and wears a headband.

in fact, even on last night's outing, you could argue that HH contributed significantly to us wining the game ..1 goal, tap to Nick (goal); handball to Lippa (goal); D50 intercept mark, surrounded by Blues, when scores were level

ps: if it was HH or a first year player that gave away 4 free kicks in Q4, turned the ball over another couple of times, directly resulting in goal (or two?) conceded, he'd seriously be under the pump.

pps: all the focus with Schultz is on his tackling & defensive game (great) but little to no comment on his double-grabbing, poor to no creativity & inability to gain separation from his direct opponent ..he seems to-date limited in his ability when he gets it.

ppps: seriously hope he proves me wrong but at this stage ..

Schultz has made us a different team, he has all of a sudden made us a territory dominant team that actually has the ability to lock the ball in. This year we are scoring in different ways, scoring from stoppages in our front half, which last year scoring was about turning it over at half back (Moore/Howe/Maynard/Q) and bouncing back fast, adding another layer to a premiership team.

It's not just the total tackles per game, it's pressure on the ball carrier in our attacking half, enabling us to turn it over in the midfield rather than defense, enabling our defense to press up and lock it in.

As you saw last night, this Collingwood team did to Carlton what it didn't do last year without Schultz, +26 inside 50's and +34 tackles, +13 tackles inside 50......

That wasn't because of HH lol, this is a trend for the season since Schultz has been in the 22.

You and others presume a pick between 10-20 will all become something, when the fact is it's more like a lottery after the top 3 picks.

Look at the 2022 Draft, only the top 4 picks would break into this Collingwood team in their first year, and HH's draft of 2021, only the top 4 would be consistently best 22 with the exception of Jake Soligo at pick 36.
HH was pick 52 and is on the edge of this Collingwood team at the moment, which is a huge win and from what I've seen this year, he's proving to be a future 22 lock. But he is not the pressure beast that Schultz is and to get an elite forward pressure beast, you have to pay the price.

I might be the only Collingwood fan that is pretty happy with Schultz, McCreery went off very early last night, yet the forward pressure didn't wane......... I wonder why?

Exactly this. If we had given up a second rounder for him which is what he's worth then we would have no qualms dropping him if his form isn't up to scratch. Instead the talk of purely pressure and running patterns as his role is what people say about the likes of WHE, Mayne, Varcoe, Blair, Goldsack to justify their selection. And they were all certainly important role players but it's also clear that they were very much fringe and it's quite easy to find similar replacements with late picks.
Well, he's dropped himself for next week.

He is what he is, a good role player but no star.
The bigger issue is the way we got bent over by Freo.
We should have just called their bluff and walked away from the trade at the price we paid.
We traded Henry for less and he’s a much better player than Shultz.
Oh ffs.

Schultz was contracted. Henry wasn’t.

He’s absolutely amazing for how play. Far better fit than Henry.

Schultz has made us a different team, he has all of a sudden made us a territory dominant team that actually has the ability to lock the ball in. This year we are scoring in different ways, scoring from stoppages in our front half, which last year scoring was about turning it over at half back (Moore/Howe/Maynard/Q) and bouncing back fast, adding another layer to a premiership team.

It's not just the total tackles per game, it's pressure on the ball carrier in our attacking half, enabling us to turn it over in the midfield rather than defense, enabling our defense to press up and lock it in.

As you saw last night, this Collingwood team did to Carlton what it didn't do last year without Schultz, +26 inside 50's and +34 tackles, +13 tackles inside 50......

That wasn't because of HH lol, this is a trend for the season since Schultz has been in the 22.

You and others presume a pick between 10-20 will all become something, when the fact is it's more like a lottery after the top 3 picks.

Look at the 2022 Draft, only the top 4 picks would break into this Collingwood team in their first year, and HH's draft of 2021, only the top 4 would be consistently best 22 with the exception of Jake Soligo at pick 36.
HH was pick 52 and is on the edge of this Collingwood team at the moment, which is a huge win and from what I've seen this year, he's proving to be a future 22 lock. But he is not the pressure beast that Schultz is and to get an elite forward pressure beast, you have to pay the price.

I might be the only Collingwood fan that is pretty happy with Schultz, McCreery went off very early last night, yet the forward pressure didn't wane......... I wonder why?
Good news for you….

You’re not the only fan happy. He’s legit made us better.

You're definitely not the only Pie fan happy with Shoota. There are quite a few of us.

Look at the 2022 Draft, only the top 4 picks would break into this Collingwood team in their first year, and HH's draft of 2021, only the top 4 would be consistently best 22 with the except of Jake Soligo at pick 36.

I'm with you - a lot of his work gets missed because it doesn't count as a stat.
The rest will follow as he settles further into the system.

How can you say no draftee can ever be that good at tackling when you literally just listed McCreery as ranking above Schultz and we got him as a pick 44 where he became best 22 in year 1? If we were to trade McCreery, we wouldn't get a first and second round for him even though he's a better pressure forward than Schultz, is younger, better athletic traits and higher upside.

No pick 10-20 will break into this Collingwood side? Have you watched Darcy Wilson play? You don't think he'd get a game above Sullivan/HH/Markov? He would be a good candidate to replace Sidebottom this year as a winger who's output has fallen off a cliff.

I said the chances are extremely f*ckin slim, I also said picks after top 4 is like a lottery, we won the lottery, McCreery is one of those extremely f*ckin slim chance players.

I said the chances are extremely f*ckin slim, I also said picks after top 4 is like a lottery, we won the lottery, McCreery is one of those extremely f*ckin slim chance players.
"picks after top 4 is a lottery" ...what?? do you mean top 40

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"picks after top 4 is a lottery" ...what?? do you mean top 40

No, the top 4 picks of each draft generally go on to become either stars or 150+ game players, after the top 4 it's more like a lottery, a pick in the first round might never play while a player at pick 55 might play 200 games.

No, the top 4 picks of each draft generally go on to become either stars or 150+ game players, after the top 4 it's more like a lottery, a pick in the first round might never play while a player at pick 55 might play 200 games.
errr ok, none of that is actually supported by the historical data but i let you do your own research. Hiney's hypnotised Collingwood faithful to expect < zero from 1st round picks and so we've adopted the '1st round picks, give em away like confetti strategy'.

this is my issue, not the player per se but what we've paid and how we value (or don't value) 1st rounders.

anyway, i have nothing more to say on this

A lot of comments about the first round pick not being that important for Shultz, due to the fact that the draft is speculative and you may get a dud anyway, are missing the point.

Shultz was not our most glaring need, A big power forward was and still is, now that puck could keep us out of the market for a decent one this year should one present.
Now we need to give up more future picks for probably Smith and then more.
Every season at trade time More and more players just pack up and decide to look somewhere else, for all sorts of reasons.
You need nice picks when this happens so overpaying is becoming thing of the past when you look at what top players went for 5 years ago compared to now.
We still seem to overpay and we also draft poorly on the early picks.
Quite happy to get Shultz no issue there he’s a nice player but he ain’t no first and second round pick, that’s a huge overpay every day of the year.

errr ok, none of that is actually supported by the historical data but i let you do your own research. Hiney's hypnotised Collingwood faithful to expect < zero from 1st round picks and so we've adopted the '1st round picks, give em away like confetti strategy'.

this is my issue, not the player per se but what we've paid and how we value (or don't value) 1st rounders.

anyway, i have nothing more to say on this
Probably best you just let this lie Sam_e.

We’re all aware of you stance in this. Which is 100% fine.

You may be proven right. But I suspect that the decision for Lachie will turn out to be a
Positive for the club.

So enjoy the ride mate!!

A lot of comments about the first round pick not being that important for Shultz, due to the fact that the draft is speculative and you may get a dud anyway, are missing the point.

Shultz was not our most glaring need, A big power forward was and still is, now that puck could keep us out of the market for a decent one this year should one present.
Every season at trade time More and more players just pack up and decide to look somewhere else, for all sorts of reasons.
You need nice picks when this happens so overpaying is becoming thing of the past when you look at what top players went for 5 years ago compared to now.
Quite happy to get Shultz no issue there he’s a nice player but he ain’t no first and second round pick, that’s a huge overpay every day of the year.
Is smith a better decision that Schultz?

Is a mid teens pick overpaying?

2 18 year olds on your list is enough.
Based on that, for every 2 years…..you have 10% of your list that isn’t usable.

Can we stop rating draft picks? It’s a 10 year old problem. World has moved on.
Ffs draft picks aren’t how to stay at the top (when they are mid teens).

You're definitely not the only Pie fan happy with Shoota. There are quite a few of us.

I'm yet to be fully convinced but the guy wears the guernsey so I'm backing him; he's ours now.

Plus, he works his ar*e off.

Given a choice between him and Ginni, I'd take him. Any day of the week and twice on the days we play Carlton.

My god. We just won a flag ffs but we overpay? Schultz ain’t worth a second rounder? LOL. There are no words for how much you overate draft picks

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back