Player Watch Lachie Schultz

Remove this Banner Ad

Re the bolded - let me guess.

While we finished with the highest percentage in 2023, we can’t stand still while other teams improve. We also dont have the forward firepower or potency of Carlton or Geelong. So we have to find other ways to keep scoring.

When the coaches pounced on Schultz when he became available - it was because he’s a player who would beautifully complement our forward plan for 2024.

They didn’t draft him on the expectation that he would kick three goals a game, or suddenly turn into Ollie Henry (I can’t let that go☹️).

As the season has progressed, our forward line is increasingly functioning as the coaches want it to, and Schultz is getting better by the week.

And re the forward half retention - how many forward 50s did we have in the last quarter on Friday night? 20 something? So the retention part of the plan is clearly working - we just have to get better at exploiting that part of our dominance on the scoreboard.
Bingo on all points VP!!
Sorry been away this week.

Don’t be fooled by possessions and stats. The constant effort between Beau, Jamie, Bobby and Lachie is nightmare stuff,

It’s finals like in intensity. Which is what we want.

The comparison though is with Schultz.

If you accept Schultz is an upgrade on Ginnivan, and I don't, then you have to take into account the cost. Collingwood have given up a first round pick for a player who on current performance is a marginal improvement.
Why do you think he’s not an upgrade?
Curious as to what your thinking is.

The comparison though is with Schultz.

If you accept Schultz is an upgrade on Ginnivan, and I don't, then you have to take into account the cost. Collingwood have given up a first round pick for a player who on current performance is a marginal improvement.

No players fit into the system in 7-8 weeks, our premiership years are good enough examples of this

2010 - Ball and Jolly

2023 - Mitchell , Hill , McStay , Markov , Frampton

Ginnivan had an impressive 2022 , his speed was always questionable. Which doesn't work with what our forwards work to. Chase and tackle. Hence his limited senior time last year. Schultz has the right tools

The cost is fine if you think we have the likes of Elliott on the wrong side of 30. Gives a mature player we dont have to develop the ability to slot in. You dont base performance of 8 odd weeks as a genuine result to whether the trade was a win or loss.

Lachie Shultz role is very different compared to Dockers, at Pies his running lines up the ground and role is very specific and I would love to see how often he is the target kicking inside forward 50, I imagine he is the 4th-6th forward hit up, and his defensive numbers are higher. At Dockers he was probably one of their main targets so had more shots on goal.
Hard to compare against Ginni who is doing well at Hawks, but he is probably one of their main targets up forward.
I still think Shultz will have a breakout game. Although I thought Shultz didn't look fit in the first few rounds, but the whole team was down. But does anyone know whether he started preseason early, as his season finished earlier at the dockers last year, or did he start his preseason when pies returned?

Hard to compare against Ginni who is doing well at Hawks, but he is probably one of their main targets up forward.
Ginnivan is averaging a tick over a goal a game, and a tick under 3 tackles per game.

Schultz has approximately the same goal scoring average, but 4 tackles per game. Just for context.

Ginnivan is averaging a tick over a goal a game, and a tick under 3 tackles per game.

Schultz has approximately the same goal scoring average, but 4 tackles per game. Just for context.
I love(d) Ginni but even based on early form this year, I much prefer Schultz to Ginni in the Pies team. There is a long way to go to September and that's when Shooter's star will rise. He will be invaluable in the tough matches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ginni is playing a lot further up the ground with the hawks, lot of cheapies on the wing. I wish him all the best but without ball in hand his impact is minimal and that’s his issue
This is wrong, Ginni has been a terrific user and linkup player for the Hawks. I actually have watched them play.

Ginni is playing a lot further up the ground with the hawks, lot of cheapies on the wing. I wish him all the best but without ball in hand his impact is minimal and that’s his issue

I’m a Ginnivan fan, I think he’s having a very good year and has shown improvement in the areas he was lacking. It’s his goal kicking accuracy that’s letting him down the year. Should be well above the 1.1/game he’s getting at the moment.

Think thats the best description of him. His tackles arent going to be chase down like Schultz either , potentially cheap tackles if theres such a thing around the contest in congestion.

Why do you think he’s not an upgrade?
Curious as to what your thinking is.

Based purely on 2024 output?

Ginni has 10 goals and Schultz 9

Schultz probably has more pressure acts? But within the context of:

• Would have cost us zero to keep Ginni
  • Schultz has cost us two first rounders

I can completely understand why some wouldn't see Schultz as an upgrade

I would wager that the majority of the negative perception of Schultz comes from what he cost in combination with his output.

Based purely on 2024 output?

Ginni has 10 goals and Schultz 9

Schultz probably has more pressure acts? But within the context of:

• Would have cost us zero to keep Ginni
  • Schultz has cost us two first rounders

I can completely understand why some wouldn't see Schultz as an upgrade

I would wager that the majority of the negative perception of Schultz comes from what he cost in combination with his output.
Somewhat agree but keeping Ginnivan would have cost compromising our culture.

Somewhat agree but keeping Ginnivan would have cost compromising our culture.

Debatable given that technically there's no proof of that

Like, 2022 we got within a point of a Grand Final and in 2023 we won the flag

With Ginni there. So to claim our culture would be screwed if he stayed seems somewhat of a stretch

Debatable given that technically there's no proof of that

Like, 2022 we got within a point of a Grand Final and in 2023 we won the flag

With Ginni there. So to claim our culture would be screwed if he stayed seems somewhat of a stretch
There’s really no proof of most things off field but given his and Fly’s comments on the subject I can’t see them working together for another year being a good mix.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back