Lefties

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally I don't understand why being a lefty makes any difference - anybody able to enlighten me?
I'm not sure, but it might be due to most people being right footed, so bringing in variance is good? Can make different angles on the ground, etc.

Most left footers I know are excellent kicks of the footy. Much more so than the right footers I know. Something in the genes? :p

I'm not sure, but it might be due to most people being right footed, so bringing in variance is good? Can make different angles on the ground, etc.

Most left footers I know are excellent kicks of the footy. Much more so than the right footers I know. Something in the genes? :p
I guess it might change the dynamic as the defense would cover the right side naturally...I believe I've just answered my own question. :p

Hawthorn deliberately recruited plenty of left footers for being better field kicks in their last premiership team: Hodge, Guerra, Lewis, Ellis, Young, Rioli, Birchall, Dew, Roughead, Franklin, etc.

They figured the extra few percent in kicking efficiency would pay off and it did.

In our last finals campaigns, Hudson and Eagleton were the only lefties. Would not be surprised if our recruiting staff are doing this deliberately, but it is a good move IMO :thumbsu:

Hawthorn deliberately recruited plenty of left footers for being better field kicks in their last premiership team: Hodge, Guerra, Lewis, Ellis, Young, Rioli, Birchall, Dew, Roughead, Franklin, etc.

They figured the extra few percent in kicking efficiency would pay off and it did.

In our last finals campaigns, Hudson and Eagleton were the only lefties. Would not be surprised if our recruiting staff are doing this deliberately, but it is a good move IMO :thumbsu:
Agree completely.

The only problem with a lot of lefties is that during junior football they have it easier because everyone expects you to go to the right side so they often don't develop the opposite foot

I'd rather try to develop dual sided players than rely on a bunch of players only being able to left or right foot to their exclusivity. Even if they can kick 45-50 with their dominant side and 30 with their non preferred. It does take time from experience but it does give you the extra half second to hit targets with defenders not knowing which side to commit to.

Personally I don't understand why being a lefty makes any difference - anybody able to enlighten me?
There is the obvoius tactical advantage of mixing up the play/angles and goal opportunities. But recent biological research suggests that the left handers have a shortened decision/action brain process that enables faster response in competive sports such as football

When you are playing a game of footy you will normally expect someone to kick on the right, simply because most people do. So Lefties sometimes get a bit more time or can be a bit more tricky. But yeah, also just allows for better variation and more solid positions.

Problem is some southpaws seem to be very mechanical in trying to get to there left side and can run into trouble in congestion like Christian Howard often does, others can have very slowish kicking action like Clay Smith.... They need to have that crab like side step like Mcrae has to get out of trouble.... Bottom line if they kick better we need them

Remove this Banner Ad

Back