Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Jan 23, 2006
Adelaide, EAST SIDEEE
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Redbacks
Tell me some off your methods off how to cacth Squid, I am trying to get into this whole squidding caper seriously.

Anyone use Burley for them?

My fav is the Yo-zuri shrimp hunter in either red (with the pink belly) during the day, or brown for first & last light and night time. The 2.5 catches all sizes. No need to go for gigantic jigs for big squid. Largest I've caught was a calamari just under 3kg off Sorrento about 5 years ago. A mate has caught a 5kg model off Flinders. I never tend to use burley for squid, and I've gone off using baited jigs. Leatherjackets always pick the thing clean b4 the squid get a chance (and we all know that they hang around the same place - kelp).

As for the arrow squid, they'll attack dog poo, so it doesn't matter what you put down for them. They're worse than 'couta when they turn up in numbers.

• Banned
Damn those Yo-Zuri jags aren't very cheap, I think I might buy one don't have enough money for any more than that.

Has anyone used the luminous jags with any sucess? Squid like light so I thought they would be pretty good.

I use 10ft Yamashi ta Sea Bass rod with an old Daiwa Capricorn 3000, laoded with Sun Line Egi FC in 6lb.

I use Yamashi ta jigs. Cast n retrieve.

Damn those Yo-Zuri jags aren't very cheap, I think I might buy one don't have enough money for any more than that.

Has anyone used the luminous jags with any sucess? Squid like light so I thought they would be pretty good.
The luminous jags work pretty good, got a handful before a ray took off with it and ate my rig. We got the bugger in the end though!!:D

Snagged this baby of portsea
SQUID_STORY_wideweb__470x446,2.jpg

love catching the squid...........every body at the queenscliff pier use the wog poles i got there with a spinning rod and always catch...........i got this pink jig that always works.......bought it at a boat shop you know the 3 for 10 dollar ones its a cracker.....never fails.....

cast and retieve always slow, fast, different actions i come home with a minimum of 5 no mater the conditions..........if i have trouble getting them out comes the surf rod chuck 2 jigs on 1.5 mtrs apart and do the same thing changing every 20 casts till they start biting........i find this better than sitting there waiting watching the float........

never tried berly at queenscliff but have done so at the blairgowie pier near rye i think thats how you spell it.........small squid there but alot of fun cause they go and hide in the weed a bit of berly and they are every where small but fun.......

use whiting or pilchard on a float set up.. i use a 1o foot penn rod with okuma reel... ive pulled a 2.5 kilo squid at portsea with this set up..

if u want to use a jig there are these fantasic jigs available at the tackle shop in epping.. not sure of their name(they arent yo-zuris- they arent as good as these ones) but they are japenese and cost about $30 each(not cheap and the barbs have a tendancey to break, but easily fixed) but these jigs especially in blue are awesome!!

I am sick of people pretending that they have caught fish when they haven't. I have witnessed it happening three times

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back