Live Pick Trading - Yes or no for 2019 AFLTM National Draft

Do you agree to live pick trading being included in this year's 2019 AFLTM National Draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok coaches there is some interest out there for live pick trading to be included in this year's AFLTM National Draft. I'm OK with including it, but only if ALL coaches agree to it. Please vote in the poll as to whether you agree to have live pick trading included in this year's National Draft. Any no votes or non-voting coaches by the time the draft commences will result in live pick trading not being included in this year's National Draft. Coaches are also welcome to comment in this thread with any of their thoughts, particularly if they are unsure of anything or see any disadvantages or tweaks that need to be made.

Some simple rules around live pick trading if included in this year's draft:
  • Only trading of national draft picks, no pre-season or rookie draft pick trading.
  • Any traded picks become unpassable in the National Draft, as well as any pick before the traded in pick.
  • Teams must remain under the salary cap and the list size limit/minimum at all times and with every trade. This includes all unpassable picks counting towards total player payments and list sizes.
  • No players can be delisted/traded to make room for live pick trading.
  • No changes to time limits on picks. If you trade for a pick that is on the clock the confirmation of trade and the selection must still be made within 24 hours of the previous pick.
  • When trading a 2 (or 3,4,etc.) for 1 (or 2,3, etc.) pick deal, the team receiving more picks in return must have an enough unpassable picks that can be forefeited in order to remain under the list number limit. The team trading out multiple picks will have their next available pick/s on the "contracted player list table" slot into the appropriate position in the draft to keep the team at the correct list size.

Last edited:
I'm happy for it to be included, but I most likely won't be participating in it. Mainly because i've only got 3 picks to use and i'm happy with those picks.

If I trade out 2 picks for 1 does that bring in my next available pick.
?
i.e. say I have picks 2, 30,33,36,50 so 5 picks to fill my list, say I trade 30 & 33 for 22 does my 5th pick become what would‘ve been my next pick after 50, say 66 or do I go to the back of the draft?

If I trade out 2 picks for 1 does that bring in my next available pick.
?
i.e. say I have picks 2, 30,33,36,50 so 5 picks to fill my list, say I trade 30 & 33 for 22 does my 5th pick become what would‘ve been my next pick after 50, say 66 or do I go to the back of the draft?
Yes, it will bring in the next pick on you have on your contracted player list table and slot into it's draft position and the other coach will lose their last 'active' passable pick. If the coach that is trading in the two picks does not have an active passable pick then the trade cannot be completed. If live trading is going ahead I'll bring in a bit more detail to the OP that will include the current picks each coach has.

Just if I do consider packaging 15 and 24 for a pick upgrade, does that mean i'll have a pre season draft pick to fill my final list spot?
You would get the next pick you have on your contracted player list table in the National Draft, which is pick 69. You have to take at least three ND picks minus 1 pick for each rookie promotion you had. Since you have promoted one rookie, and pick 69 was not part of the live trade (or any other trade) you could then pass on pick 69 which would transfer the pick to the PSD.

FYI, picks in the PSD are re-ordered based on reverse finishing position in the season and are not based on the original order they were passed upon in the ND.

You would get the next pick you have on your contracted player list table in the National Draft, which is pick 69. You have to take at least three ND picks minus 1 pick for each rookie promotion you had. Since you have promoted one rookie, and pick 69 was not part of the live trade (or any other trade) you could then pass on pick 69 which would transfer the pick to the PSD.

FYI, picks in the PSD are re-ordered based on reverse finishing position in the season and are not based on the original order they were passed upon in the ND.
Ok thanks. I'll take it into consideration.

Sorry guys.

But I feel like this would be rushed. I'd prefer next season.
All good. No live trading this draft. Will work towards implementing next off-season.

All good. No live trading this draft. Will work towards implementing next off-season.

Pity. I would have liked the chance to trade down 7 for a couple of slightly worse picks but still pick up two Top 25 players. Oh well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My main concern is that it'll slow the draft down too much as people will be discussing potential trades when their pick is due rather than just takinng their pick.

I'm not totally gainst the idea, but I think a rule like this is one that needs to be worked out properly. I don't want to see picks dragged out for the full time limits as people try to find a trade so think rules need to be introduced to address this.
Maybe make a rule where picks can only be traded in the first one or two hours after your pick is up. After that the pick cannot be traded.

Another game I'm in has live trading. Their rule is:

"the trading of draft picks within the National Draft is allowed, provided the criteria is met. Each team must still take the minimum number of picks, and you cannot trade a pick within the next five picks. For example, if we are up to pick 15, then 16/17/18/19/20 are locked in, and cannot be traded."

I'd imagine it would be to reduce time between picks and to also leave more time to discuss trades.

Last edited:
Back