Living overseas.

Remove this Banner Ad

In the process of doing the same thing. Has anyway used the German-Australia working holiday visa (12 month stay)?
It's hard to find information on, especially the German health insurance and what it will cost etc

It's 12 months.

You can use normal travel insurance until you get over there then hopefully once you find employment your employer will pay your mandatory health insurance (you also pay a portion but it comes out of your pay automatically).

Having said that I didn't really work for the duration of my working hol visa (only a few cash in hand bar shifts) and got proper insurance once I applied for my new proper visa.

Awesome info dude. Thanks heaps. I've been looking at living/working in Berlin next year after I finish my degree.

So realistically, what are the chances of landing a gig there? Will have a degree in Marketing and a background in Sales/Marketing.

Thanks again dude.

I'd check out this http://berlinstartupjobs.com/

That's where I found my job and everyone is working in a startup in Berlin! Good companies to work for are Wooga and Lieferheld.

Stay away from Zalando!

I won't tell you my company as I quit not long ago and I think they're douchebags :p

Anybody with IT dev skills or game development etc etc will get a job in a second in Berlin, no German required.

I'd check out this http://berlinstartupjobs.com/

That's where I found my job and everyone is working in a startup in Berlin! Good companies to work for are Wooga and Lieferheld.

Stay away from Zalando!

I won't tell you my company as I quit not long ago and I think they're douchebags :p

Anybody with IT dev skills or game development etc etc will get a job in a second in Berlin, no German required.

If you're not picky about work and want a lazy bar job head to Belushis, it's run by an Aussie and is pretty much full of us and ze poms. Just don't stay there too long, it gets old pretty quickly ;)

how did you go about registering your name to an address over there? Is it a complicated process if you are not renting and just staying in hostels? I have read that to apply for the visa once in Germany, you have to go about this process

how did you go about registering your name to an address over there? Is it a complicated process if you are not renting and just staying in hostels? I have read that to apply for the visa once in Germany, you have to go about this process

Technically you're meant to do it within 2 weeks of arriving in Germany but I waited until I found an apartment, I already had my visa as I applied for it in Australia.

Every time you move you need to re-register your address at the Burgerampt. There's a specific one per suburb too, it's extremely annoying. You also need to go the Finanzampt to obtain your tax number and social security, again there's a different one depending on which suburb you reside in.

If you're planning on waiting until you arrive in Germany to get the visa I'd wait until you're out of a hostel, it's pretty easy to find a sublet room although summer is a busy time in Berlin. Not sure which city you're planning to live in..

Did you apply for your working holiday visa (the first time you went) in Sydney? Did you then have to register your address within 14 days of arrival? This seems weird, as I want to travel around in Germany for a while first, then decide after a few months where to pick up some work.

Glad that I stumbled onto this thread!

Been thinking about moving away for at least 12 months (indefinitely) to either Berlin or somewhere in the States. Some very handy links and information posted hitherto. Thanks to everyone who has contributed

Glad that I stumbled onto this thread!

Been thinking about moving away for at least 12 months (indefinitely) to either Berlin or somewhere in the States. Some very handy links and information posted hitherto. Thanks to everyone who has contributed
I have lived "overseas" as an expat for over 35 years - paid to do so and all expenses paid. Often tax-free. Great money and lifestyle. Enjoyed the different cultures (was posted to 9 countries on secondment from my US base) and made an effort to learn the languages and mix in.

If you have the qualifications (my own area is law/engineering in oil and gas project management) there are a number of web job sites (not sure if I can post links here but can PM them) on the internet offering work worldwide (I still get offers from agents and my previous companies - but am now retired and chilling out).

Re the US - you need a work visa and sponsorship to get a job here (or a transfer visa from your local office to your US office).

Would it be best to tee up work before heading over to Germany if possible? Or just winging it, and see what happens? At the moment, I'm really starting to plan for this, but just trying to nut out the logistics of it all. Ideally, I'd like to travel a little bit more of Europe, but also Central/South America while I'm overseas too.

Anybody care to share their experience of living in Japan? I'm being sounded out for a job there but have never been.
Have not lived there, only holidayed, would love to live for 6-12 months in Tokyo on some sort of part time working holiday.

Have you ever been to Japan before? Amazing place, amazingly efficient, where is your job?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have not lived there, only holidayed, would love to live for 6-12 months in Tokyo on some sort of part time working holiday.

Have you ever been to Japan before? Amazing place, amazingly efficient, where is your job?

No, never been. It would be based in Minsato, Tokyo.

Anyone organised a working holiday from home for going over to London? What are the best agencies to go through to organise a job before you get over there? Otherwise, what are some good ones to get a job over there once I get there? Would rather do something decent relating to my business degree or better paying than your stereotypical pub/hospitality jobs.

When you finish uni do a one month TEFL/TESOL course and the world is your oyster. I lived in Russia teaching English for four years. If you want to explore Europe somewhere like Budapest or Prague would be great to live in.

Last edited:
is **** all in London. My gf's rent is 750 pounds a month. And her place is nothing special. Good location just near Camden but that's the most it has.

Yes, Passenger is spot on, rent in London is VERY stiff. Try Gumtree website to see what's on offer BUT beware of things that look cheap ie Hackney etc as there is probably a reason for it.

Depends where you do it and which college. How long is a piece of string really. I would suggest this website if you want to look into it.

www eslcafe.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back