Speculation Luke Davies-Uniacke (RFA 2025)

Remove this Banner Ad

Get out of a basket case a year earlier? Get his payday a year earlier?

The money he'll be getting from his new contract is unlikely to change in the next 12 months. He'll easily be getting band 1 level.

Makes sense. North would probably get better compensation through FA than what (most) clubs could offer this year though, right? People are saying LDU can expect offers of ~$1 mil.

Makes sense. North would probably get better compensation through FA than what (most) clubs could offer this year though, right? People are saying LDU can expect offers of ~$1 mil.
Maybe. Depends where he goes and what they offer.

I think we'll keep him, but I don't have any evidence than wishful thinking. I think North would match anything a rival could offer. Whatever compensation we got in return wouldn't compare the years we've invested into LDU.

I think we'll keep him, but I don't have any evidence than wishful thinking. I think North would match anything a rival could offer. Whatever compensation we got in return wouldn't compare the years we've invested into LDU.
It never does.

It never does.

I didn't mind it with Ben McKay, although we obviously didn't do enough trading to cover our arse. He's a good player but wasn't able to gel with the group and the game plan and was struggling. He's gone to Essendon and is playing well, and I feel like we got fair compo.

With LDU, we've made it clear that he's the core of our midfield. Him leaving would **** with a lot of things.

Edit: worst swear filter ever. ****.

Genuine question. Would the AFL step in and assist with "ambassadorial" payments.

North just can't afford to lose him. Especially if it's McKay, Zurhaar, LDU in consecutive years.

This may be true, but I’m a strong believer in the opposite.

The benefit of bringing talent in a year earlier and accelerating their development shouldn’t be dismissed.

It’s a tough one. I can see both sides to this.

Genuine question. Would the AFL step in and assist with "ambassadorial" payments.

I doubt it. And nor should they.

This may be true, but I’m a strong believer in the opposite.

The benefit of bringing talent in a year earlier and accelerating their development shouldn’t be dismissed.

It’s a tough one. I can see both sides to this.

I doubt it. And nor should they.
And the age old question, where does he go? If it's someone like Adelaide, is pick 5-8 this year and 8-12 next year better than a top 3/4 pick next year? If it's a team within the 8, absolutely hold on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And the age old question, where does he go? If it's someone like Adelaide, is pick 5-8 this year and 8-12 next year better than a top 3/4 pick next year?

I'd argue yes. A top 3/4 pick will almost certainly get you a star but two top 10 picks is nothing to sneeze at.

Taking that to the draft and get an 'additional' 20 odd games into them is invaluable. And there's always the option to defer a pick via further trades if that's what they prefer to do.

If it's a team within the 8, absolutely hold on.

I don't think they should be viewing things in such black and white terms. I'm pretty confident they wouldn't be.

Agreed. But, it is in their best interests North get off the bottom. I wouldn't put it past them to try.

Is it? If it's not North on the bottom it's someone else. Why is it worse for them that North is on the bottom rather than any other club?

The AFL wouldn't 'want' any club on the bottom per se, but I reckon they'd rather it be North than a genuinely big club.

There are other levers to pull to help get North off the bottom which can be explored, well before ambassadorial payments. They wouldn't make much sense at all in this context IMO.

What is LDU's motivation for leaving this year, as opposed to next year under FA? Genuine question - it seems there's a lot more for him to gain by waiting a year.
North Hold the cards either way.

Anyone desperate to get him, North are likely to get good compo. Doesnt matter what happens if North are at the bottom of the ladder. LDU is in Norths best 23 and playing each week.

If North dont get what they want as adequate compo, North Can hold onto him and get a free agent compensation if LDU wants to leave.

North wins either way.

There was a North Poster that said that that posters name was Groin guru

Nah that came from a poster that was connected to North. He was always spot on with his info and stated that he’d shut down his account if it didn’t happen. Don’t think he shut down his account after it and only posted a handful of times afterwards at the request of other members on the North board.

I doubt LDU goes because of money though. North would be able to give him whatever he wants in that department, he could probably write his own contract.

I think he just sick of playing in a losing team and North aren't getting out of this hole any time soon with Tasmania coming in. My view though, could be 100% wrong.

Why not take the money & go to a good team.

Look at Ben McKay, get the $ and has had just about more wins in 10 rounds than he did in 8 years previously. The FA system routinely tells us the better teams are generally the benefit of it. Can't see LDU bucking that trend, but again he could love the place and sign on.

Last edited:
I doubt LDU goes because of money though. North would be able to give him whatever he wants in that department, he could probably write his own contract.

I think he just sick of playing in a losing team and North aren't getting out of this hole any time soon with Tasmania coming in. My view though, could be 100% wrong.

Look at Ben McKay, get the $ and has had just about more wins in 10 rounds than he did in 8 years previously. The FA system routinely tells us the better teams are generally the benefit of it. Can't see LDU bucking that trend, but again he could love the place and sign on.

Disagree that the Tassie team will hurt Norths rebuild. North will have access to a lot of top end talent before the draft is compromised by the Tassie draft concessions.

It’s the clubs that are in the older bracket in terms of their list that will suffer the most because that’s when they will be down the bottom.

Disagree that the Tassie team will hurt Norths rebuild. North will have access to a lot of top end talent before the draft is compromised by the Tassie draft concessions.

It’s the clubs that are in the older bracket in terms of their list that will suffer the most because that’s when they will be down the bottom.

you guys can't retain talent, that is the problem.

I dont see North making any drastic improvement in the next 2-3 years before Tassie comes in and soaks it all up. You are still going backwards right now. The question is can LDU see that improvement in order to want to stay.

I dont see North making any drastic improvement in the next 2-3 years before Tassie comes in and soaks it all up. You are still going backwards right now. The question is can LDU see that improvement in order to want to stay.
Could you name me said talent that North wanted to keep but lost? How many?
Could we compare those numbers to a benchmark? Say a good team team like essendon's retention over the 5 years?

Just keen to know what "can't retain talent" looks like.

Last edited:

LDU hasn’t left yet and still has another year left on his contract. Horne-Francis was a sook and it was in Mckays and Norths best interests for him to move on. Apart from that we’ve lost Thomas, but not because he didn’t want to be there.

We should beat the Tassie curve. If gives our young players time to play 80 games. We should be on the move by then and to go through the crap they will in the next couple of years to go back to terrible might be a big ask.

Hopefully…..

One’s been rebuilding and collecting talent the other is about to start rebuilding or continue treading water in no mans land
How do you know what Saints are about to do, you on the board or got close connection to Ross or SOS?

Can't even tell what your own team is doing so maybe leave your wonderfully speculative comments about Saints in a thread about the Saints.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back