Main Muscles Used In Tackling

Remove this Banner Ad

lions2002

Rookie
Jul 5, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hey guys I have an assignment for school and I have to list the main muscles used in tackling in order. (Lol gotta love footy assignments for school go Lions!)
1. Legs
2. Core
3. Hamstrings
4. Shoulders
5. Arms

How long is a piece of string?
Would depend entirely on the circumstances around the tackle ie stationary opponent, are you moving, have you run them down or hit them head on

Ca you answer with why certain muscles are used?

Leg Strength/Power for momentum going into the tackle and to produce force to transmit from the ground into your upper body

Core (a s**t term but you're teacher will know what it refers to) for being able transmit as much as force as you can put into the ground into your arms...if you're core is far weaker then you're legs then you'll some of that force production along the line...so if you put 100kgs of force into the ground but you can only transmit 50kgs through your middle, then you'll only put out that 50kgs leaving 50kgs of potential left untapped

Upper Body Strength/Power to complete the full task

I dare say core is the most important muscle group to transmit energy through the tackle otherwise your only hope is to drop the legs and use gravity to pull the opponent down.

No doubt the whole body needs to work including chest, back, shoulders, arms and legs.
Interesting question as it forces you to think about technique.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back