Majak Daw

Remove this Banner Ad

At just 18, Sudanese-born Daw is 195cm and 91kg, having put on 2kg of muscle since arriving at North Melbourne. This kid is apparently being trained to be a ruckman now aka: like Natanui.
In two years time imagine those two going at it in the ruck.
900901-majak-daw.jpg

West+Coast+Eagles+Training+Session+OjjCfUfMGaCm.jpg
moz-screenshot.png

he has been playing quite well in our reserve side this year and he is a fair way from making his seniour debut but all signs have been good this year even at his early stage of his career. I doubt you will see him for a good 3 years TBH but boy he does some freakinsh things. These too players will rewrite ruckmen and bring them back to life and will both make north and eagles strong in years to come. Thanks Lads

People writing him off are just silly. Dean cox and Sandilands were two of the most unco hacks in their young days and look at them now. Also when the premiers have a ruckman of mark blake there is no reason why this guy couldn't make it. His athleticism will make up for what he lacks in skills, he will eventually improve his skills and footy smarts. You could give him 5 years to do so and it would be worth it.

People writing him off are just silly. Dean cox and Sandilands were two of the most unco hacks in their young days and look at them now. Also when the premiers have a ruckman of mark blake there is no reason why this guy couldn't make it. His athleticism will make up for what he lacks in skills, he will eventually improve his skills and footy smarts. You could give him 5 years to do so and it would be worth it.

He's only 195cm tall. He simply isn't tall enough to be a gun ruckman.

Looking at his physique, I find it pretty hard to believe he is 18. Not that I want to cast aspersions at Sudan's Office of Births, Deaths and Marriages, but has his birth certificate ever been verified?

Not that it matters that much. I mean, he could be 45 for all I care. But if he is, say, 22 rather than 18 it puts a slightly different perspective on his potential development path.

EDIT: Let me add that whatever his age, I really hope he plays senior football. There is a big African population here in Melbourne and it would be tremendous boon to North Melbourne (in terms of their potential supporter base), but also AFL in general.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So they're 2 examples of ruckmen that have made it from a long way off but how many have been rookie listed since Cox and done nothing?

Just for West Coast I can think of Zac Beeck, Mick Embley and Llane Spaanderman. I'm sure it would be similar for most other teams, hence, probability suggests Daw's against it.

And Daw doesn't have Cox's or Sandilands' height.

Exactly.

Everything, including height and athleticism, was taken into account when Daw slid to the rookie draft. One rookie isn't more likely to make it than another just because he's better at one aspect of the game.

It would be like me saying "Beeck, Emley and Spaanderman didn't make it and they had the advantage of having more footy smarts"...It's the same argument and it's totally non-valid.

Do you think Trent Croad would have been a good ruckman?

Trent Croad was 5cm shorter then Daw.
Daw's standing jump is 70cm whilst Croad's was 83cm, more then making up for the height difference according to you.

There is a big difference between 200cm and 190 cm for a ruckman.

There is a big difference between 200cm and 190 cm for a ruckman.

You're the one telling me a big leap will make up for lack of height.

Combine Croad's height with his leap and he gets higher then Daw. So by your theory, he could have been a gun ruckman also.

There is also a big difference between 200cm and 195cm when it comes to ruckman.

Patrick Ryder would be one of the shortest ruckmen in the league, if not the shortest. He is 197cm. He has excellent athleticism and very good footy instincts and skills. He is a very handy ruckman but hardly a gun or elite.

Majak Daw is shorter and coming from far further back regarding instincts and skills.

You're the one telling me a big leap will make up for lack of height.

Combine Croad's height with his leap and he gets higher then Daw. So by your theory, he could have been a gun ruckman also.

There is also a big difference between 200cm and 195cm when it comes to ruckman.

Patrick Ryder would be one of the shortest ruckmen in the league, if not the shortest. He is 197cm. He has excellent athleticism and very good footy instincts and skills. He is a very handy ruckman but hardly a gun or elite.

Majak Daw is shorter and coming from far further back regarding instincts and skills.

You're getting a bit carried away. I said his leap will more than make up for 5cm. I didn't say a 190cm player with a big leap could be a good ruckman.You neglect the fact Daw is still growing. I'd say he would have better athleticism than patty as well. Remember he has years to develop the skills for the game. We will see in the years to come if he makes it, I'm confident he will given half the rucks in the AFL are hacks.

Jeff White the number 1 draft pick?

That matters why? Did I not read that one reason Daw would be no good as a ruckmen was cos he was 195cm?? Same as White.

Dont know whether Daw will make it or not but saying he wont based on how tall he is (when there have been good ruckmen his height and shorter) and the fact he is on the rookie list (when there have been good and bad ruckmen come off rookie lists) is silly.

He is a project player and we wont know for a few years whether he will be any god.. maybe he will.. maybe he wont.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back