Mandatory Vaccinations And Medical Exemptions

Are you for or against Mandatory Vaccinations

• For

Votes: 292 57.4%
  • Against

Votes: 221 43.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we've been circling the issue on partial basis and on piece by piece for the past 20 pages, so i'm going to try and synthesize the whole issue in one post for clarity.

From a political theory perspective, the fundamental underlying principle of western democracies is that government should NOT limit individual freedoms other than to reduce or remove harm caused to a third person. From a personal and philosophical perspective, you should have the liberty to do as you please as long as it does not cause harm to others. This permeates our society and laws. You can jump out of a plane if you wish but you can't push a third person out of a plane, etc etc. There are limits to this with respect to an individual's capacity to act in their interest, this is why we regulate children more, but GENERALLY as an adult you can do what you want as long as it doesn't hurt others. You can agree with this political theory or you cannot, frankly I think its a fundamental and self-evident principle, but you can disagree. If you, you support authoritarian government systems and sure, you go support that, but i don't.

Another headline concept is choices vs government direction. People have said, can person A require person B to be vaccinated to enter their store. That is different to the government mandating a choice. People are free to do that, and businesses are free to do that, but society will regulate that to determine whether it is appropriate. People will either agree with the decision or not and by taking their business elsewhere or to there they will legitimise or oppose that decision. That is NOT the same with a government mandate. Even if 100% of people agreed, the government decision would maintain until the next election. They are not one in the same. We are talking about GOVERNMENT mandated vaccines here. That is a key distinguishing factor.

So lets step this through. Is a mandatory vaccine conflicted with an individual's liberty. Patently it is. You can argue if there is a legitimate 'choice' not to take the vaccine, but that has been covered ad nauseum, it's coercion and force to require you to get a vaccine or sacrifice your entire professional career. Western law does not allow person A to restrict person B (i.e your former employer (A) and you (B)) from working in their profession without adequate compensation (effectively paying them equivalent amounts not to do so). Requiring mandatory vaccine to work in a particular industry is plainly coercion and not a legitimate choice.

So now we have to consider, can this choice be taken away legitimtely. I.e does it cause harm to another person. Generally speaking, we don't hold person A liable to person B for the communication of disease. You can't sue Joe Bloggs for passing the flu onto you. It was bad luck. For the approach to be different here, there needs to be something critical about the harm caused to justify it. This is the critical point. I concede that there MAY be arguments for mandatory vaccinations in hospitals and public school systems because those are public areas that the public in general needs to be able to attend to receive education and healthcare. If we assume this virus is dangerous and is highly contagious, then there is a potential for vaccines to be mandated in those industries. But for other industries, any person who is concerned about catching the virus does not need to participate in that section of society. If you are so concerned about this virus you can self isolate yourself, you can click and collect, you can work from home. You can also get the vaccine to protect yourself.

Now we need to look at the harm caused by a vaccinated person versus unvaccinated. The common argument is that an unvaccinated person can cause harm to a vaccinated person. That may be true, they can pass it and someone could catch it from them and get sick. If you consider that can be attributed to the person (i.e opposed to our normal standards where flus are not held responsible to another person for transmission), then sure that's your prerogative. BUT you have to hold that standard to a vaccinated person as well. A vaccinated person can STILL pas the virus, to a limited degree, but it still can happen fairly regularly. As such, that person would be as liable for the harm to a third person as an unvaccinated person is. The only difference is you're treating one as a silver bullet to ignore the harm principle because you've taken a vaccine. That isn't logical, that isn't practical.

If you consider an unvaccinated person is responsible for transmission of the virus, you must think a vaccinated person is the same or else you are a hyprocrite.

I don't think either is responsible, as such I don't consider it offends the harm principle and i don't consider mandatory vaccinations are therefore warranted.

If you think otherwise, then you're responsible for your actions whether you are vaccinated or not, and I hope you continue to isolate yourself after getting the vaccine to avoid harming other people.

Finally, ignoring the macro-concepts above. The fact is we are going to get to 85/90% of vaccination rates without mandatory requirements. Surely that is sufficient for the health benefits of societal immunity and prevention of hospital overflow. The free society has addressed the issue, we don't need to impinge upon human rights and political freedoms to achieve that goal.

It's not warranted, and it makes me sick to thing we live in a country that has permitted it and that there are people who so gleefully support such authoritarian principles.

Last edited:
You are playing games.

The discussion is about how much power governments should have to compel private citizens to take this vaccine (or do anything, actually, including restrict your movement and close your business). The extent of this power was very much evident for every year of your life, and mine, until March 2020.

It is now, for the first time ever, being tested in a legal sense.

Everything that has happened in the last 20 months is unprecedented.

To pretend that this is not the case, is disingenuous.
But why are you talking about legalities now if you already mentioned you weren't a lawyer and weren't able to comment on other legalities? You've already made it clear you aren't in a position to talk about such things, so why should people discuss legalities with you now?

I think we've been circling the issue on partial basis and on piece by piece for the past 20 pages, so i'm going to try and synthesize the whole issue in one post for clarity.

From a political theory perspective, the fundamental underlying principle of western democracies is that government should NOT limit individual freedoms other than to reduce or remove harm caused to a third person. From a personal and philosophical perspective, you should have the liberty to do as you please as long as it does not cause harm to others. This permeates our society and laws. You can jump out of a plane if you wish but you can't push a third person out of a plane, etc etc. There are limits to this with respect to an individual's capacity to act in their interest, this is why we regulate children more, but GENERALLY as an adult you can do what you want as long as it doesn't hurt others. You can agree with this political theory or you cannot, frankly I think its a fundamental and self-evident principle, but you can disagree. If you, you support authoritarian government systems and sure, you go support that, but i don't.

So lets step this through. Is a mandatory vaccine conflicted with an individual's liberty. Patently it is. You can argue if there is a legitimate 'choice' not to take the vaccine, but that has been covered ad nauseum, it's coercion and force to require you to get a vaccine or sacrifice your entire professional career. Western law does not allow person A to restrict person B (i.e your former employer (A) and you (B)) from working in their profession without adequate compensation (effectively paying them equivalent amounts not to do so). Requiring mandatory vaccine to work in a particular industry is plainly coercion and not a legitimate choice.

So now we have to consider, can this choice be taken away legitimtely. I.e does it cause harm to another person. Generally speaking, we don't hold person A liable to person B for the communication of disease. You can't sue Joe Bloggs for passing the flu onto you. It was bad luck. For the approach to be different here, there needs to be something critical about the harm caused to justify it. This is the critical point. I concede that there MAY be arguments for mandatory vaccinations in hospitals and public school systems because those are public areas that the public in general needs to be able to attend to receive education and healthcare. If we assume this virus is dangerous and is highly contagious, then there is a potential for vaccines to be mandated in those industries. But for other industries, any person who is concerned about catching the virus does not need to participate in that section of society. If you are so concerned about this virus you can self isolate yourself, you can click and collect, you can work from home. You can also get the vaccine to protect yourself.

Now we need to look at the harm caused by a vaccinated person versus unvaccinated. The common argument is that an unvaccinated person can cause harm to a vaccinated person. That may be true, they can pass it and someone could catch it from them and get sick. If you consider that can be attributed to the person (i.e opposed to our normal standards where flus are not held responsible to another person for transmission), then sure that's your prerogative. BUT you have to hold that standard to a vaccinated person as well. A vaccinated person can STILL pas the virus, to a limited degree, but it still can happen fairly regularly. As such, that person would be as liable for the harm to a third person as an unvaccinated person is. The only difference is you're treating one as a silver bullet to ignore the harm principle because you've taken a vaccine. That isn't logical, that isn't practical.

If you consider an unvaccinated person is responsible for transmission of the virus, you must think a vaccinated person is the same or else you are a hyprocrite.

I don't think either is responsible, as such I don't consider it offends the harm principle and i don't consider mandatory vaccinations are therefore warranted.

If you think otherwise, then you're responsible for your actions whether you are vaccinated or not, and I hope you continue to isolate yourself after getting the vaccine to avoid harming other people.

Finally, ignoring the macro-concepts above. The fact is we are going to get to 85/90% of vaccination rates without mandatory requirements. Surely that is sufficient for the health benefits of societal immunity and prevention of hospital overflow. The free society has addressed the issue, we don't need to impinge upon human rights and political freedoms to achieve that goal.

It's not warranted, and it makes me sick to thing we live in a country that has permitted it and that there are people who so gleefully support such authoritarian principles.

They will support it until the next thing down the pipe is something they don’t wanna do.

That will happen. Not a question of if, just a question of when.

I guess the silver lining is it will be fun watching them squeal about it.

But why are you talking about legalities now if you already mentioned you weren't a lawyer and weren't able to comment on other legalities? You've already made it clear you aren't in a position to talk about such things, so why should people discuss legalities with you now?

Sorry, I’m not a footballer either, but I discuss football here.

I’ll get right on that AFL career as soon as I get a spare minute.

Sorry, I’m not a footballer either, but I discuss football here.

I’ll get right on that AFL career as soon as I get a spare minute.
No, so this is you moving the goal posts.

If you had said "I'm not an AFL footballer so I can not talk about the AFL" and then discussed the AFL it would be similar.

But you've made it clear to everyone in here that you won't be speaking about legalities because you aren't a lawyer and aren't comfortable enough talking about it, but now all of a sudden you are. Why is that?

No, so this is you moving the goal posts.

If you had said "I'm not an AFL footballer so I can not talk about the AFL" and then discussed the AFL it would be similar.

But you've made it clear to everyone in here that you won't be speaking about legalities because you aren't a lawyer and aren't comfortable enough talking about it, but now all of a sudden you are. Why is that?

I didn’t say I won’t be speaking about legalities.

I said I didn’t know the specific law or recourse strategy that is being used to challenge the mandates.

I didn’t say I won’t be speaking about legalities.

I said I didn’t know the specific law or recourse strategy that is being used to challenge the mandates.
No, you were asked a question and you didn't answer it on the basis that you weren't a lawyer.

You seem to only be educated enough to talk about the law when you believe it suits your argument.

Ah that makes a lot of sense. So what you're saying is talking about this topic has you as clingy and precious as you were when you were 16. Right.
No, so you're the ex-girlfriend in this situation given you were precious enough to cling on to something I said over a week ago. Anyways, for the most part I will continue to avoid discussion with you but if you're going to use the words and comparisons as you did, you deserve to be called out for it. Clearly you don't think you've done wrong here so we'll move on.

No, you were asked a question and you didn't answer it on the basis that you weren't a lawyer.

You seem to only be educated enough to talk about the law when you believe it suits your argument.

Like a lot things that aren’t my full-time job, I know some things about it, and I don’t know some things about it.

Example: I’m not a behavioural psychologist, but I know you have a problem with disingenuous pedantry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's an apt comparison, and it shows how disgusting the governments actions are.
No, it's not. One of my best friends is a rape victim and she still suffers crippling PTSD from an event that occurred over a decade ago. You're making an analogy to getting vaccinated. That's disgusting.

I like this post because it is actually presenting some well thought out discussion around the issues and doesn't immediately declare anyone taking a different perspective as uneducated. There are some nuances in there but that's perfectly fine in these discussions.

There's aspects of this I somewhat agree with in that I think there should be some mandates in certain industries like healthcare and education and don't necessarily see the need for it in others (although, I do understand the mandate for tradies given the high incidence of transmission on worksites recently... as I mentioned before, I don't expect this to remain in place for the long term).

Some of the discussion around choice is still very complex. I'm assuming your plane analogy is jumping out without a parachute? If I'm wrong, apologies, but if so... am I allowed to be the pilot of the plane knowing that the person I'm taking up is going to jump out without a parachute? For many choices there are others that may be impacted by that choice. This is where the complexity for me lies.

In regards to your other aspects, there's a lot I agree with and will happily admit that there are arguments on both sides in this thread that I have/haven't agreed with. Kudos for putting the time in for this post. On a side note, though, I do agree with others that have called out your post relating mandatory vaccination to rape. The mental and physical impacts of something so personal and evil shouldn't be bandied around as a means to add levity to an argument.

Last edited:
They will support it until the next thing down the pipe is something they don’t wanna do.

That will happen. Not a question of if, just a question of when.

I guess the silver lining is it will be fun watching them squeal about it.

Question on this though... what if the 'next thing down the pipe' is something that you are happy to do and support? Wouldn't you just be arguing for it? As others are doing here for something that they support and you don't?

Isn't it then hypocritical to make a statement like above?

I like this post because it is actually presenting some well thought out discussion around the issues and doesn't immediately declare anyone taking a different perspective as uneducated. There are some nuances in there but that's perfectly fine in these discussions.

There's aspects of this I somewhat agree with in that I think there should be some mandates in certain industries like healthcare and education and don't necessarily see the need for it in others (although, I do understand the mandate for tradies given the high incidence of transmission on worksites recently... as I mentioned before, I don't expect this to remain in place for the long term).

Some of the discussion around choice is still very complex. I'm assuming your plane analogy is jumping out without a parachute? If I'm wrong, apologies, but if so... am I allowed to be the pilot of the plane knowing that the person I'm taking up is going to jump out without a parachute? For many choices there are others that may be impacted by that choice. This is where the complexity for me lies.

In regards to your other aspects, there's a lot I agree with and will happily admit that there are arguments on both sides in this thread that I have/haven't agreed with. Kudos for putting the time in for this post. On a side note, thought, I do agree with others that have called out your post relating mandatory vaccination to rape. The mental and physical impacts of something so personal and evil shouldn't be bandied around as a means to add levity to an argument.
Sorry I'm just on my phone now. I will review the plane comment and respond later. Edit. I forgot the plane comparison I made. I've just reviewed it now. I was actually talking about sky diving. The analogy being we can do risky things that we choose to do but the government could never force people to sky dive if they didn't want to.

But i appreciate the response.

I also appreciate the response regarding the rape connotation. I apologise to anyone who is offended by it and I don't mean to downplay the effect of anyone who has suffered rape. My only intention was to highlight, what I consider, to be relatively analogous circumstances of having something inserted into your body without your consent. But I appreciate the difference in degree of the psychological impact of either.

I just really feel kind of sick at the thought of mandatory vaccinations that are clearly aimed at reaching a particular political goal rather than any ethical or even practical based goal.

Question on this though... what if the 'next thing down the pipe' is something that you are happy to do and support? Wouldn't you just be arguing for it? As others are doing here for something that they support and you don't?

Isn't it then hypocritical to make a statement like above?

No, it’s like defending the right to free speech you don’t agree with, or even hate or find offensive.

I think you are misunderstanding what the fundamental right is here. The fundamental right is (or was, up until five minutes ago) the ability to choose what goes into your body, and still be a free citizen. That right has existed for all of this country’s history.

Whether it was actually written down or not, it was an implied and accepted civil right, like freedom of speech, or association. (inb4 grifters tell me Australia doesn’t have freedom of speech. I’m aware it’s not written down. It is still an implied right. This is not North Korea).

There has never been a right to have other people take something to protect you from a contagious virus. There has never even been the right to be protected from a seasonal contagious virus, full stop. This concept is completely new.

You have the right to take medicine, or avoid contagious situations, but that right has never extended to what other people do. You were never aware of how many people had deadly influenza when you left the house. You didn’t know who didn’t wash up after they used the toilet and then shook your hand. Nobody ever knew where they picked up any seasonal virus. They got it, they stayed home, they tried not to pass on their germs. That’s the way high trust societies work.

We no longer live in a high trust society, we live in a cynical, authoritarian society where the people are forced to enact the will of the government — the complete reverse of the way a liberal democracy is supposed to operate.

Do you understand what the judiciary is for in a civil society? You’re not following this very well, are you..

There are legal loopholes in societies. These loopholes are tested in court and then precedents are set.

The reason they are tested is because some people believe rights have been breached via use of the loopholes.

Stick to talking about what you know, the bolded just betrays yet again that you use words and concepts without knowing what they mean.

Sorry I'm just on my phone now. I will review the plane comment and respond later. Edit. I forgot the plane comparison I made. I've just reviewed it now. I was actually talking about sky diving. The analogy being we can do risky things that we choose to do but the government could never force people to sky dive if they didn't want to.

But i appreciate the response.

I also appreciate the response regarding the rape connotation. I apologise to anyone who is offended by it and I don't mean to downplay the effect of anyone who has suffered rape. My only intention was to highlight, what I consider, to be relatively analogous circumstances of having something inserted into your body without your consent. But I appreciate the difference in degree of the psychological impact of either.

I just really feel kind of sick at the thought of mandatory vaccinations that are clearly aimed at reaching a particular political goal rather than any ethical or even practical based goal.
Kudos again for the apology.

Forget about my plane question then as it is no longer relevant. I haven't seen whether you have answered this before, but what are your opinions on vaccine requirements for entry into the defence force?

It'd be interesting to relate these ideas on your views on things like euthanasia and abortion. Big topics that are not meant for here, but they dive into the realm of choices.

Kudos again for the apology.

Forget about my plane question then as it is no longer relevant. I haven't seen whether you have answered this before, but what are your opinions on vaccine requirements for entry into the defence force?

It'd be interesting to relate these ideas on your views on things like euthanasia and abortion. Big topics that are not meant for here, but they dive into the realm of choices.
Defence force: I couldn't see why it would be required. Why do you ask?

As to the other topics.. agree don't need to dive into them here. But for a headline discussion point I am: generally pro euthanasia and I am pro abortion to a particular degree. I am not up on the science but there comes a point (for me) when it turns from abortion to early infanticide. But I am also not against those who are anti abortion and believe they are entitled to their opinion.

Back