Match footage from VFL Park/MCG Scoreboard cameras

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 16, 2007
Showers Stand
AFL Club
Essendon
I came across some interesting footage that was just uploaded to YouTube of Richmond v St Kilda in 1987 at VFL Park.

Clearly the match footage was taken from the feed used for the VFL Park Scoreboard. The capture of the scoreboard and it's advertising after every goal would suggest it was used for other television monitors around the ground itself.

While all this is somewhat interesting in it's own right, the main question I have is why record this footage? Was it used at a later date by broadcasters? was it for archive purposes? Is it possible there's a whole bunch of tapes out there of games that were not broadcast on television?

While all this is somewhat interesting in it's own right, the main question I have is why record this footage? Was it used at a later date by broadcasters? was it for archive purposes? Is it possible there's a whole bunch of tapes out there of games that were not broadcast on television?

The tape was given to the coaches after the game, so it could be used in review.
I remember many times after games Dad coached watching the full game back via the scoreboard feed vision

Remove this Banner Ad

Back