Retired Matthew 'Goose' Maguire (2009-2015)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Jonathan Brown #2

Jonathan Brown of the Footy Show

Brown notched his third facial surgery in 12 months down to just another stroke of bad luck, and said that team-mate Matt Maguire - who ultimately inflicted the injury - was simply doing his job.

“Leading up to the situation, we had been a bit short on match practice because there had been so much rain up in Queensland, so Vossy had been trying to give us a few spurts of match practice every now and then at training when it was dry,” Brown said.

“He gave us a 15-minute hitout under full match rules and ‘Goose’ just came back with the flight of the ball."

“Big ‘Goose’ Maguire has copped a bit of flack over it, but it was under full game rules so you had the play properly and it was just one of those accidents that can happen.”

6987833953_20e7fa31a6.jpg

Lions coach praises Maguire
Laine Clark
March 16, 2012 - 5:34PM

Cynics could say Brisbane Lions defender Matt Maguire has already chalked up one of the AFL's biggest scalps this season.

Not that Maguire can see the funny side of his now infamous training collision with Jonathan Brown that broke his skipper's cheekbone.

However, Lions coach Michael Voss is convinced Maguire is set to shut down plenty of rival star forwards this season - starting with ex-teammate and Melbourne recruit Mitch Clark in round one.

"I think Matty Maguire is in terrific form at the moment," he said.

"I think he has had an outstanding pre-season at training and playing games.

"We hope he continues that form ...so he's a possibility (against Clark).

6841274556_5cb1edb5fe.jpg

Video: Michael Voss

NAB Cup Round 4 vs Essendon

Although Voss thought the loss to the Bombers was the Lions' most disappointing hitout of the pre-season, he was pleased with the competitive spirit of draftee Billy Longer and the defensive work of veteran Matt Maguire.

6843482128_c523645162.jpg

Michael Voss

"It wasn't our backline that let us down, (defender) Matt Maguire was clearly our best player, it was the midfield and half-forward lines."

6846817614_fb89e070fc.jpg

Video: Leuey's Masterclass

Leuey: "Who are some of the serial offenders of coming in and doing beach weights when they shouldn't be?"

Matt Hass: "There's a couple of boys that sneak in and give it a crack, but I'd have to say the two room mates Joelly Patfull and Matt Maguire. Affectionatly, they're known as the "Fat Arm Brothers". They get in here and give it (the dumbells) a fair hiding."

maguire70.jpg

Round 1 vs Melbourne

Former Lion Mitch Clark had an indifferent first half in Melbourne colours with five possessions. Every time he touched the footy, the Demons faithful rose as one but he was too intent on wrestling direct opponent Matt Maguire than finding space in the Melbourne forward line. He had no touches in the third term and finished with a total of 10 possessions and two goals after being given a bath by Maguire.

6885241610_eaa5baea64.jpg

Link

Clark instinctively extended his hand to opponent Matt Maguire and it was accepted. That brief gesture of mutual respect was the end of the pleasantries in their duel for the rest of the game. Maguire won the day with Clark booting two goals in the last quarter when the game was long over.

Clark was average, but Goose was great. Was always the right match up, Goose suits Clark perfectly. Was very good in defense, as well as some nice kicking on the rebound. Great start to the season for Goose after a reported great preseason.

Matt Maguire won Danny Frawley's new award the 'Golden Fist' for defender of the week on After The Bounce. Well done Goose on winning the first ever installment of this most prestigious award!

Live chat

James: What do you think are the most important factors in being a key position defender? (Strength, Sprint, Endurance etc.)

Matt Maguire: James - a ll of the above. My strength as a defender is strength, so I try to use this to my advantage. I work hard on my speed and endurance as well as my agility.

Jack: I was there in Round 1 at the MCG when the Lions were warming up and you went to lift the net behind the goals to get the footy, and you got stuck in the net. Just thought I would let you know it made me and my mate laugh…

Matt Maguire: Hahah, yeah I remember having a giggle as well mate. Finally got out the net in the third quarter.

James: When you walked over to Mitch Clark Round 1 at the start of the game, you shook hands with him. I must ask, why didn't you start laying the shoulder into him? ;)

Matt Maguire: I am mates with Mitch, and I thought it would rev him up as he plays well if emotionally involved in a game. As a defender, or player for that matter, you pick your mark in regards to who you think you might be able to put off their game.

maguire66yem.jpg

Round 3 vs Fremantle

Fyfe's reconstructed left shoulder slipped out of its socket in the second quarter when he was collected by Brisbane Lions defender Matt Maguire.

Round 4 Talking Points

When the teams met at the Gabba last year, James Podsiadly tore the Lions - and more particularly Matt Maguire - apart, kicking eight goals. Maguire has been in ripping form early in the season and will be itching at a chance of redemption.

maguire73.jpg

Round 5 vs Geelong

But it was 23-year-old Hawkins - the hero of Geelong's 2011 Grand Final win - that was the difference, outpointing Matt Maguire in an inspired display. He kicked three goals from three kicks in the first quarter to set the tone and added one in each of the remaining terms.

maguire73.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It seems as if when Goose loses the first couple of contests he loses all confidence and then starts giving away silly frees and really struggling.

Round 7 vs Collingwood

The Lions were best served by Jack Redden (28 touches and eight tackles) and defender Matt Maguire, who did a terrific job on Collingwood brute Travis Cloke once moved to him in the second term.

mattmaguire.jpg

It seems that if his opponent gets on top of him early than Goose really drops his head early and starts giving away silly frees but if Goose gets on top then he wears him like a glove. I also like Goose getting the ball of half-back. He's a decent kick and usually uses the footy pretty well.

Round 9 preview

Matt Maguire is quietly getting back to his best form but will face a stiff test marking Drew Petrie this weekend. Maguire has cemented the Lions' full-back spot since Merrett's move forward and, other than a six-goal burst by Geelong's Tom Hawkins in round five, has regularly beaten his man. Petrie has often given the Lions headaches and this match-up could go a long way towards deciding the result.

7248316400_36f50ca7a6.jpg

Maguire would be close to leading our B@F. Pity that we fans are unable to appreciate how well this bloke is going over the season so far.

I'm a big fan. Wish more players had his sheer desire to not be beaten.

He's been playing some awesome footy and I'm absolutely chuffed for him :D

Potentially a better pickup than Staker in '09.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back