Review Matthew Panos??

Should Panos be played on the forward line before the end of this season?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

tonydean

Cancelled
May 10, 2011
Braybrook
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Seriously boys, what does Matthew Panos have to do to get a game in this very average side at the moment? The only new forward that has been brought into the team who has really played like a forward has been Tory Dickson, so why hasn't Panos been tried?

Bag me as a lot of you will, but seriously, I'm only bringing this up, 'cause like a lot of you other passionate, paid up members on here, who have the right to see the talent the list has to offer, we want to see if he can play. I remember in the pre season a lot of us supporters and even people at the club rated this guy pretty high, and a lot were talking like he would be a def regular this year.

Ah hem, it's round bloody 16 for Christ sake, still no Panos.

Seriously boys, what does Matthew Panos have to do to get a game in this very average side at the moment? The only new forward that has been brought into the team who has really played like a forward has been Tory Dickson, so why hasn't Panos been tried?

Bag me as a lot of you will, but seriously, I'm only bringing this up, 'cause like a lot of you other passionate, paid up members on here, who have the right to see the talent the list has to offer, we want to see if he can play. I remember in the pre season a lot of us supporters and even people at the club rated this guy pretty high, and a lot were talking like he would be a def regular this year.

Could not agree more. 100% spot on.

I would suggest the coaching staff do not rate him other wise they would have picked him. Other than being an accurate kick for goal what does he have?
He is not exactly knocking down the door.

I would suggest the coaching staff do not rate him other wise they would have picked him. Other than being an accurate kick for goal what does he have?

He's a full forward with genuine footy smarts, very accurate and a reliable field kick.

He is a natural forward and a straight kick for goal, yet we persist with using ruckmen as forwards who all combined have kicked less than 10 goals for the year. We have a CHF (Jones) who can't kick, can't judge his runs, yet we bring in our CHB (Williams) for the last 7 years, play him one game at CHF and he looked natural!

It's a good question. I happen to like Panos (as you guys would know), have been a fan for a while. I can't say if he can make it at AFL level. He is a natural goal kicker, just one of those guys that knows where to be to get a goal. On top of that he's our best set shot for goal. Pace is the big knock on him and he's not really someone who takes the big pack mark contested marks.

He is also very cool in heavy traffic and it's why I could see him playing up the ground or in defense too.

While his form is steady at Willi it's not startling. But I just want to see how he goes at AFL level. A smart natural forward we could do worse than to give him 3 or 4 weeks to show us what he's got. He could be one of those guys that at the higher level performs better. If he gets it 4 or 5 times in range he will almost certainly get us 3 goals.

I suspect the MC would not be doing their due diligence if they don't give this kid his shot.....rightly so we have been getting games into Ayce, Jordan, Tommy and Liam.....but poor old Matt does got the same consideration so far. It is a bit strange I must say. Lets not die wondering.....this year is now about guys like Matt Panos!

We need to really drive this point to the club.....yep...we know where we are at, but please play as many kids as possible now! Then at least we can take something away from the season and look forward.

I've said this elsewhere but i think the rest if the season is all about finding out about the list and knowing who to keep and who to move on. Panos is one of those players with question marks so I'm all for bringing him in and finding out more. We absolutely must nail list management and that will mean playing players who are further back in the pecking order and further losses. The only reason I can think of is that a decision has already been made on Panos (either way) so there is no need to learn more.

Other than being an accurate kick for goal what does he have?

Could he be any worse than who we currently use on the forward line?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am also a fan of Panos and would like to see him tested at AFL level and agree he needs a chance. I have watched many of his games at Willi and agree with comments posted on his strengths but in particular he has a football brain, good hands and accurate kick. He is not a pack marker but great on the lead.

My only worry is that he needs an open forward structure to lead into and good delivery. Barry Hall would struggle in our forward line at the moment so I would hate to send Panos into the war zone with our slow gameplan and horrible delivery.

what does Matthew Panos have to do to get a game in this very average side at the moment?

Get a kick?

Panos has managed to get named in the six best players just twice all season and never as the best player.
Only twice has he managed double figure possessions and in 11 games has kicked just 17 goals.

And before you jump in with 'he hasn't been kicking goals because he's been in the backline and in the ruck', then why hasn't he been posting more respectable numbers?

We have to face it, he can kick straight but can't do anything else.

Wait, so you're saying that kicking 17 goals in 11 games where he played almost all of it in the back line isn't impressive? Name someone else who has done the same?

A full forward isn't there to accumulate possessions. He is there to mark and kick goals. Panos marks and kicks goals when played in the forward line.

I'm keen to throw him in there.

If we could just get a big marking forward who can bag a couple it would allow Jones to get into the game. Similar to when Barry was playing, Jones relished the chance of playing on their 2nd and 3rd best defender.

Not sure if Panos is the big marking forward that we need, but the remainder of this season is about trying new things and giving players a chance to prove themselves.

I've said this elsewhere but i think the rest if the season is all about finding out about the list and knowing who to keep and who to move on. Panos is one of those players with question marks so I'm all for bringing him in and finding out more. We absolutely must nail list management and that will mean playing players who are further back in the pecking order and further losses. The only reason I can think of is that a decision has already been made on Panos (either way) so there is no need to learn more.

I couldn't agree more on all counts, specially on the decision already being made on Panos. However unlike the majority who think Panos has had his papers already stamped, I think it's all about next year and beyound....I could be wrong and seriously hope I'm not.

I couldn't agree more on all counts, specially on the decision already being made on Panos. However unlike the majority who think Panos has had his papers already stamped, I think it's all about next year and beyound....I could be wrong and seriously hope I'm not.

I agree, his body shape has changed substantially over past couple of preseasons in order to get onto list, for all we know he is still on some sort of modified training program to continue to improve that, I highly doubt he has had papers stamped.

I wonder if there will be memberships being thrown into microwaves if Panos doesn't get a game this year and is delisted? He hasn't had a game from TWO coaches. Panos supporters must know more about footy that these guys! (although I'm sure there's an asterix on Bmac, then again, if he has no crediblity as a senior coach because he's never played an AFL game, that means supporters shouldn't talk about anything AFL related, because they themselves haven't played AFL footy).

The obsession with Panos is slightly creepy btw.

Get a kick?

Panos has managed to get named in the six best players just twice all season and never as the best player.
Only twice has he managed double figure possessions and in 11 games has kicked just 17 goals.

And before you jump in with 'he hasn't been kicking goals because he's been in the backline and in the ruck', then why hasn't he been posting more respectable numbers?

Well, if we had someone that could've kicked straight in a couple of prelim. finals a few years ago, we might have at least made a grand final!

Get a kick?

How many backmen or ruckmen regularly manage "respectable numbers" or large numbers of "possessions"? Take that and add, you are talking about a slightly [ or in the case of rucking] a significantly undersized player being asked to operate outside of his areas of strengths, all in a seriously under-performing team [ this season].
The kid for god's sake is a lead-up forward, and should be judged on what he is rather than what he isn't.

Give him a bloody go, so that we can see what he is or isn't capable of. We are learning nothing from what is happening down at Willy unfortunately.

Considering how important the list management decisions that need to be made at seasons end are, it would seem to be essential that we know all we can about those on our list, particularly anyone who might either be near the margins, or remain in anyway an unknown quantity.

Back