Recommitted Matthew Scharenberg

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Morris reported that he was seen as attainable by other clubs, for whatever that's worth.
Yep, he did. That’s a far cry from Collingwood trying to get him off the books though....

Collingwood do have an overstock of backmen and an understock of forwards.. as witnessed in the GWS game - Backline held up great.. Forwards did nothing. Cox and De Goey out hurt out forward line, but it was still a bad effort.

One of two things need to happen.

I think Scharenberg for Jenkins would be a trade where both sides could win. Jenkins wants to come to Vic and Scharenberg is from SA. It gets Jenkins out of Adelaide and into a position where he is required, and gives Scharenberg more game time too, because if Keath leaves it will open up a position for him to fill.

Alternatively.. if we keep him, I think they need to look at playing one of these guys forward.. we have too many players in the backline that can take a big contested overhead mark, but really lack it in the forward line. I think trying Howe forward could work.. One of the best marks in the comp, and he kicked a great goal on the run against GWS from 50 out.. so he has it in him to kick a nice goal.

Cox superior to Jenkins. Jenkins is a flat track bully, only goes well when the side is. Can't ruck either. Classic in between type, not quite a forward, not quite a ruck.

Berg will be at the Pies next year. Lot of doubt about Langdon so Berg is required until that resolves itself. I personally would love to see him get an injury free season and see how far he can go. I was very excited when we drafted him but the question is can he get back from all the injuries.

Cox superior to Jenkins. Jenkins is a flat track bully, only goes well when the side is. Can't ruck either. Classic in between type, not quite a forward, not quite a ruck.

Berg will be at the Pies next year. Lot of doubt about Langdon so Berg is required until that resolves itself. I personally would love to see him get an injury free season and see how far he can go. I was very excited when we drafted him but the question is can he get back from all the injuries.
Just to correct the record - Jenkins has been a far far far better player than Cox. Averages almost a goal a game more and that is over a lot more games than Cox. More possessions per game, more marks per game. I understand jenkins will only generate a lower end pick for the crows, but cmon, any team that gets him is likely to get a decent return for not a lot of draft cost

Jenkins not quite a forward? Man averages about 2 goals a game across his career, has kicked 40+ in most of his seasons and once kicked 60 in a season. Not only is he clearly a forward, he’s been a very good one.

Just to correct the record - Jenkins has been a far far far better player than Cox. Averages almost a goal a game more and that is over a lot more games than Cox. More possessions per game, more marks per game. I understand jenkins will only generate a lower end pick for the crows, but cmon, any team that gets him is likely to get a decent return for not a lot of draft cost

Does not win his own ball. How many over the top or running back to goal. I do not rate him. I have seen Cox stand up BIG time in finals. Jenkins goes missing. You learn a lot from finals games re a players character and ability to ply their trade. Someone else can have Jenkins, waste of time.

Does not win his own ball. How many over the top or running back to goal. I do not rate him. I have seen Cox stand up BIG time in finals. Jenkins goes missing. You learn a lot from finals games re a players character and ability to ply their trade. Someone else can have Jenkins, waste of time.
you must have missed Jenkins tear Rance apart last year at AO. or maybe missed his 8 against a bulldogs side at Etihad. He can turn it on better than Cox but the knock is that he tends to not bring that game every week

Here are his career stats 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 & 2018 he kicked at least 40 goals or more in each of these seasons. How has Cox gone?

CAREER BREAKDOWN
SeasonClubKHDMHOFFFATGBAF
2019Adelaide Crows100361365668156182217826
2018Adelaide Crows200832831119728236146271702
2017Adelaide Crows1898827711010924215245221643
2016Adelaide Crows1959529012213523114662291851
2015Adelaide Crows173682411087913222846211414
2014Adelaide Crows1706423486551282740261313
2013Adelaide Crows14259201786118142924241099
2012Adelaide Crows744311750616524113675

I like Scharenberg but I'm not really sure how interested the crows would be given his injury history. We have some really good developing young backmen in the SANFL that I'd have thought the crows would be happy to continue to develop and that haven't been given a crack at afl level due to depth.

I'd be happy to bring him back home if the Pies release him but I just don't see the crows trading anything meaningful for him.

Is the injury history of Brad Crouch that much different to Matt Scharenburg?
A bit of talk about Crouch 5 year deal - but wouldn't offer Schauenburg more than a couple?
Crouch played full seasons in 2017 and 2019, and the vast majority of 2016.

He had some nagging injuries early in his career, but they haven't returned in a long time. Other than last year, it's a foot injury four years ago.

I like Scharenberg but I'm not really sure how interested the crows would be given his injury history. We have some really good developing young backmen in the SANFL that I'd have thought the crows would be happy to continue to develop and that haven't been given a crack at afl level due to depth.

I'd be happy to bring him back home if the Pies release him but I just don't see the crows trading anything meaningful for him.
This is probably the most relevant point.

With Sholl and Hamill both doing really well in the AFL, they need to find time for them, and the defence is already pretty stacked with small and mid-sized defenders - Doedee, Brown, Kelly, Laird, Smith, etc.

Crouch played full seasons in 2017 and 2019, and the vast majority of 2016.

He had some nagging injuries early in his career, but they haven't returned in a long time. Other than last year, it's a foot injury four years ago.
Why did crouch miss the entire year last year?
Scharenberg played more games than crouch has past 2 years.

Just doesn’t seem to me that there should be a great disparity in terms of risk.

Just doesn’t seem to me that there should be a great disparity in terms of risk.
He had a history of groin issues which apparently they finally rectified with surgery last year. Other then that it was just a broken foot. Crows and his management were pretty confident the surgery resolved his groin issues and so far so good.

Unfortunately, Shaz is worth squat. If we think he's not in our best 22, then I'd like us to let him go where he wants for a nothing pick. He's had some rotten luck and think we should do the right thing by him. Note: only if we don't see him as best 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crouch had a groin injury that required surgery. Now, obviously he's fit again.

It's not multiple knee reconstructions.

At this point in time if Adelaide actually had a player willing to join the club then I would open both arms and say thank you.

At this point in time if Adelaide actually had a player willing to join the club then I would open both arms and say thank you.
Well yeah we don't have a headcoach so pretty unlikely many players would want to jump onboard right now. Add to that that we have plenty of kids coming through our sanfl team and I doubt the crows will be targeting many players this offseason outside of the likes of Jack Lukosius or young development prospects

Guy with definite pies connections just posted on EBW (pies site), watch this space.

Sounds like he is on the move.

Still think Josh Jenkins to Scharenberg would make a ton of sense for both parties.

I think Scharenberg is how they hope to get back into the first round of the draft.

Hopefully the kid has some luck and can string some football together. His ball use, intercept marking and decision making is first class.

Jenkins is much older and unlikely to have his best football ahead of him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Scharenberg is how they hope to get back into the first round of the draft.

Hopefully the kid has some luck and can string some football together. His ball use, intercept marking and decision making is first class.

Jenkins is much older and unlikely to have his best football ahead of him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can't see anyone valuing scharenberg above a third rounder so pies will need more then him and pick 35 to get into the first round. Good player but 3 acl's is too a big risk. I really like him and hope he's clear of his injuries though, and if he can put together another season I'd love the crows to look at him.

Josh Jenkins to Collingwood makes no sense even for a very late nothing pick.
Why? Your forward line is mobile and fast enough to allow jenkins to play at the top of the square where he plays best. A two goal a game forward and is a pretty big upgrade on either Reid or Cox.

Go back and look at his tape when he played this year, we couldn't use him because our forwardline was too slow but he was probably our best forward and still kicked 2 goals a game in a disfunctional forwardline. He was just unlucky that pyke wouldn't drop tex otherwise he'd have played every game and kicked 40+ goals.

Crouch had a groin injury that required surgery. Now, obviously he's fit again.

It's not multiple knee reconstructions.
So just so I have it correct, it was a groin injury that caused him to miss

8 games 2013
11 games 2014
22 games 2015
6 games 2016
2 games 2017
22 games 2018

Then fixed surgically 2018 sometime

and missed 0 games 2019?

Josh Jenkins to Collingwood makes no sense even for a very late nothing pick.

Josh Jenkins goal tallies: 11, 24, 40, 46, 62, 45, 46, 22.

Mason Cox goal tallies: 17, 10, 25, 19

You sure about that?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back