McGovern reported

Remove this Banner Ad

First of all it was a normal footy act, forcing a player with the ball out of bounds. happens 10 times a game at least.

Secondly, the grading from the MRO is inaccurate. The 'medium' impact rating was given because he went off injured, yet the high contact was for the slight knock to the head. There was no medium impact to the head, and so the grading is incorrect.

will either be reduced to a fine or will get off entirely

'Slight knock'

Last edited:
Interesting reading the Essendon Board game day thread and it hardly rated a mention at he time. Later it became an issue due to the injury. It does seem that if an incident causes injury there is a decent chance of suspension even if no intent

Notice where the ball is and where Guelfi is.. First frame is the 'bump'. Ball already been disposed - Guelfi over the boundary line. Could have left it at that - instead extends his arm into a PUSH which is an ILLEGAL action that causes him to fly into the fence. 1 week is fair.

View attachment 697978
View attachment 697979
Into the body though so can't be head contact

Into the body though so can't be head contact

The ‘high contact’ part is because his head apparently hit the fence, not the actual bump/push part.

It’s an interesting interpretation...and I would assume the crux of the Eagles argument at the tribunal.

I think based on that alone it’s worth a challenge.

All this ‘frame by frame’ analysis stuff of the timing of the content between the players is pointless - the ‘contact’ part is the point of conjecture.

The ‘high contact’ part is because his head apparently hit the fence, not the actual bump/push part.

It’s an interesting interpretation...and I would assume the crux of the Eagles argument at the tribunal.

I think based on that alone it’s worth a challenge.

All this ‘frame by frame’ analysis stuff of the timing of the content between the players is pointless - the ‘contact’ part is the point of conjecture.
You would think people would read the thread before posting stuff like that lol.. it's been explained a hundred times why it was classed as high.

You would think people would read the thread before posting stuff like that lol.. it's been explained a hundred times why it was classed as high.
But it wasn't high as any idiot looking at it can see. So "medium" and "high" are both fanciful for a bump in play because Guelfi fell into a bit of furniture (and wasn't injured).

Are you Michael Christian? You sure act like it in this thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Notice where the ball is and where Guelfi is.. First frame is the 'bump'. Ball already been disposed - Guelfi over the boundary line. Could have left it at that - instead extends his arm into a PUSH which is an ILLEGAL action that causes him to fly into the fence. 1 week is fair.

View attachment 697978
View attachment 697979
Look at the second still. All the other players are looking to where the ball has gone. McGovern is still looking at Guelfi as he pushes him in the back towards the boundary fence. I can’t believe that Christian decided that was careless. Deliberate every day of the week.
1 week is not a disincentive. We are going to end up with more neck injuries than Rugby Union.

Look at the second still. All the other players are looking to where the ball has gone. McGovern is still looking at Guelfi as he pushes him in the back towards the boundary fence. I can’t believe that Christian decided that was careless. Deliberate every day of the week.
1 week is not a disincentive. We are going to end up with more neck injuries than Rugby Union.
haha derby is in 2 weeks. The fear is strong and starting early for this one.

And a 2nd week would conveniently see McGovern missing the Derby?

It's not low impact and it's not low intent. He's giving it everything he's got. Using such force, where did he think Guilfi would end up.

They like playing teams that are men down. It makes them look so much better.

freo tears

I thought it was quite obvious.

West Coast fans saying it is unfair that bellchambers got off after intentially hitting a guy in the head.

That is probably true but don't act like McGovern didn't intentially ram a guy into a fence.

Did he expect Guelfi to get that badly hurt, probably not. Just playing on the edge and trying to rough him up alittle. Unfortauntely he did hurt Draco badly though so he is paying the price.

How badly hurt?

He walked off.

Came back on.

Then walked to a taxi to get checked out.

Cleared of serious damage and flew home.

So was there any significant injury to the head? Read his ribs were checked but that where Gov bumped him.

What really was the impact on thefence low or medium?

Based on the Frawley and Zahura pushes and fence impacts its a fine not a week.

How badly hurt?

He walked off.

Came back on.

Then walked to a taxi to get checked out.

Cleared of serious damage and flew home.

So was there any significant injury to the head? Read his ribs were checked but that where Gov bumped him.

What really was the impact on thefence low or medium?

Based on the Frawley and Zahura pushes and fence impacts its a fine not a week.

Came back on with no 20 min concussion test. Which is probably why it is "mild concussion"... otherwise it would look like Essendon failed in their responsibilities to properly test Guelfi.

Came back on with no 20 min concussion test. Which is probably why it is "mild concussion"... otherwise it would look like Essendon failed in their responsibilities to properly test Guelfi.

And why now he has passed the concussion tests per Woosha's press conference.

AFL will still convict just on the bad look.

Never mind similar actions just copping fines.

View attachment 697978
View attachment 697979
lets go one frame earlier... 698411

A bump in the side, initiated in the field of play,gets replayed several times and talked about for the rest of the game with the concussion word thrown around willy nilly. MRO give player a week.

Same game a player turns his body at a contest causing head high dangerous contact between his hip and oncoming players head. Barely hear about it or see replay about it for the rest of the game. MRO hands out a fine.

This is what annoys me so much about Gov copping a week. If both players copped a week for dangerous play I would have been a little more content, still not happy of course.

If in the exact same play Shuey got stretchered off and concussed would Bellchambers have still just copped a fine?

This crap where outcome trumps action will do nothing to stop dangerous on field actions, it will probably increase them as players gamble with what damage they will or will not inflict.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back