Melb suburb suggestions

Remove this Banner Ad

Maddhew

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Hi guys,

I am in a position at work where I may have to move to Melbourne from Sydney for 12 -18 months. I have always loved Melbourne and been there often so I don't need much convincing that its a great place. I have mostly stayed in the CBD when there, however I do have some family in the south east outer suburbs.

I am married with a kid on the way next year. We enjoy eating out and keeping fit, going to the footy. As my wife will be at home, and I'd like to be leaving late and getting home as early as possible and i'd like to be close to public transport and no longer than 10-15 minutes to town. I have a small dog and need a small yard, so looking for a 2 bedroom cottage/terrace/semi. Rental budget max $750 a week.

Richmond looks a possibility.

Where would you Melbourne locals recommend?

Cheers

Moonee ponds, Essendon, Yarraville, Seddon.
Maybe even Fairfield, Ivanhoe or Northcote.
You really cant go wrong with many inner city suburbs in melbourne

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

South Melbourne :D

Gee, 10-15 mins commute doesn't leave you with too many choices. Fitzroy, Brunswick, Richmond, Albert Park or North Melbourne.

Glenferrie and Hawthorn are also good spots :D

Craigieburn is horribly decentralised, particularly with relation to transport. The train station is in one extreme corner of the suburb; if you're in the north-western sections near Mt Ridley/Mickleham, you're probably about 7km from the train station.

The new shopping centre is decent but even then, if you don't have a car or live really close to the station, forget it. The bus services in the 'burn aren't very good.

Craigieburn is horribly decentralised, particularly with relation to transport. The train station is in one extreme corner of the suburb; if you're in the north-western sections near Mt Ridley/Mickleham, you're probably about 7km from the train station.

The new shopping centre is decent but even then, if you don't have a car or live really close to the station, forget it. The bus services in the 'burn aren't very good.

That's where my aunty is. Nice and quiet, no bogans. Not that I saw anyway the afternoon I went :D

You can be in lots of nice places tho and be so far away from the city. House sitting in Eltham, is like a 50 min trip into the city? **** that drove to Essendon station instead.
By the time you fought the traffic from Eltham to Essendon, caught a train at Essendon then went into the city, it'd probably be quicker to just train it from Eltham instead. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eltham/Diamond Creek/Hurstbridge/Wattle Glen/Kangaroo Ground/Warrandyte :thumbsu:

Successive governments (regardless of political affiliation) deserve endless condemnation for never building the Doncaster rail line. For there to be no rail or tram service in that entire belt between Box Hill/Blackburn at one end and Eltham/Heidelberg at the other is unforgivable and has made Doncaster/Templestowe/Bulleen/Warrandyte so much more inaccessible than they should be.

Successive governments (regardless of political affiliation) deserve endless condemnation for never building the Doncaster rail line. For there to be no rail or tram service in that entire belt between Box Hill/Blackburn at one end and Eltham/Heidelberg at the other is unforgivable and has made Doncaster/Templestowe/Bulleen/Warrandyte so much more inaccessible than they should be.
the particular greenies in the Warrandyte area HATE public transport and progress.

I mean, all the initial provision was there. The Eastern was built with an extremely wide median strip for the express purpose of having a train down it from Collingwood through to Bulleen Road. And when that was done in the early 1970s, it would have been so much simpler because the areas the train line was meant to go through were less developed.

Now, you're looking at impossibly expensive tunnelling; it'll never happen.

Even so, surely extending the tram along Doncaster Road to Shoppingtown could be looked at. Wouldn't be that hard in comparison to the above.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back