List Mgmt. Mid Season Draft 2024 - From 7PM Wed 29th May

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully not, as I believe Lucas will play as a backman at the next level unless his speed improves, Ben's attributes allows him to be more versatile
Played the last two weeks Ess VFL

Picked off Rookie Me Central - Profile of SA U18 squad, he is the only over-ager, gets a run due to injuries last year (Cue negative Nellies with more of the same injury prone player comments)

MSD Eligible. Couple of excellent You Tube videos doing the rounds if someone wants to link

NOAH HOWES (South Adelaide) Key forward, 18, 196cm

Strong hands, solid kick, but for me he seems like he moves more like a taller KPF/Ruck

Might develop better in a full time program

Strong hands, solid kick, but for me he seems like he moves more like a taller KPF/Ruck

Might develop better in a full time program

Aside from wanting to see if there is anyone who can help us sooner, rather than later, I don't mind having these types in reserve to cover our highly paid players. If someone like this showed he can make it, the urgency to keep TDK when he is up for free agent money, is somewhat lessened. We can get compo and reduce our gap. Always nice to have someone coming from underneath. Yes, we can't have Pitto, TDK, Mirkov and O'Keeffe all on our list and adding another who may be better as a ruck, but I suspect the Mirkov experiment may be drawing to a close.

There is a lot to work with there. Moves well, good mark and kick on him. He’s someone we can plonk in the reserves and bring in when we need to rest Harry or Charlie. And we have a good history with 6’5” South Australians.

Definitely looks like he could grow a couple more cms over the next couple of years and looks like he’s started filling out as well.

Aside from wanting to see if there is anyone who can help us sooner, rather than later, I don't mind having these types in reserve to cover our highly paid players. If someone like this showed he can make it, the urgency to keep TDK when he is up for free agent money, is somewhat lessened. We can get compo and reduce our gap. Always nice to have someone coming from underneath. Yes, we can't have Pitto, TDK, Mirkov and O'Keeffe all on our list and adding another who may be better as a ruck, but I suspect the Mirkov experiment may be drawing to a close.
I think having Howes and O’Keeffe as reserves will pay off well. We’re at the stage where we need to get a progression system happening of bringing in players who we can develop for the future. Considering that we have the Campo boys coming at the end of the year (hopefully both of them), we can afford to look at a couple of KPPs to put on a fast track development process. One at either end of the ground.

I agree with having someone ready made or even a developing type, but it get back to whether you think they can make it and who else is available with similar traits/upside for that same position

At the moment, TDK, HOK, maybe even Lemmey would be ahead of him, so too a straight out ruck in Pitto

I rather see a ready made or developing type that has less competition ahead of him

Let's same that's a xfactor small/medium forward. I'd say we only have 3, and 1 doesn't have much time left in the game

Motlop, Martin/Moir

So, if you picked a dynamic medium forward, that might be better for list balance

I agree with having someone ready made or even a developing type, but it get back to whether you think they can make it and who else is available with similar traits/upside for that same position

At the moment, TDK, HOK, maybe even Lemmey would be ahead of him, so too a straight out ruck in Pitto

I rather see a ready made or developing type that has less competition ahead of him

Let's same that's a xfactor small/medium forward. I'd say we only have 3, and 1 doesn't have much time left in the game

Motlop, Martin/Moir

So, if you picked a dynamic medium forward, that might be better for list balance

We have two spots.

Howes is too much like Schache, game just doesn't translate at the next level because he doesn't break games open enough athletically.

Strength, acceleration, agility, speed all lacking too much to stand out. We can and should be able to do better when we have all the state leagues to pick from.

Howes is too much like Schache, game just doesn't translate at the next level because he doesn't break games open enough athletically.

Strength, acceleration, agility, speed all lacking too much to stand out. We can and should be able to do better when we have all the state leagues to pick from.
That or the fact that it would probably be preferable to look for an additional tall forward in the national draft, maybe get a pick in before a bid for Ben C.

Howes is 18. He has a lot of work to do to actually make it. If we gave him an 18 month contract, we’d have a better understanding of where he’s going. We could also put an extra 10kg on his frame and if he grows another 2cm, it’s a bonus.

As for comparisons to Schache, the guy came into the AFL thinking he’d be the greatest thing since sliced bread and didn’t try enough to succeed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond I would cop.

But when did Collingwood dominate for the last 5-6 years? This is their 3rd year of playing this brand of football and we aren't even half way through it. Last season they arsed the prelim and were lucky to be in the grand final.
Maybe the OP needs more ‘Sleep’ or possibly study ‘The Sciences’ of recruitment? 😉

Wouldn’t be against a ready to go plug and play winger… To give Ollie time to develop away from the pressure of senior football…

Moving Cottrell to the wing kind of takes away from our forward line now..

Not sure we’re doing the right thing by him now, pumping games into him when he’s struggling. Reminds me of Dow and the kids under Bolts…

Current Northern Bullant former Northern Blue.

25 years of age.

Has been considered by multiple clubs in past AFL drafts but never given an opportunity.

Undersized (sub-180cm) but can play all over the park.

Prolific ball winner at VFL level. Can kick consistently 40+ meters. Quite a few 50+ goals.

Potential for a Cincotta-like story.

Would fit in with the potential strategy of going one tall, one small.
Sounds like a Michael Gibbons type.

Just as a bit of a reference guide, here are some of the names that have caused a fair bit of interest in the media and on the main board:

Jacob Blight (Peel Thunder) - 23yo, 196cm KPD (possible #1 pick according to some)
Noah Howes (South Adelaide) - 19yo, 196cm KPF (also possible #1 pick)
Jasper Scaife (West Perth) - 20yo, 197cm KPF (also possible #1 pick)
Oskar Smartt - (Ess VFL) - 19yo, 180cm Forward/Mid
Mutaz El Nour - (Rich VFL) - 22yo, 192cm Gen Def
Frank Szekely - (Nth Adelaide) - 24yo, 177cm Small Forward
Jack Hutchison - (Coll VFL) - 22yo, 190cm Medium Forward
Phoenix Spicer (Foots VFL) - 22yo, 173cm Forward/Mid
Ned Long (Coll VFL) - 21yo, 194cm Mid
Kobe Ryan (West Adelaide) - 20yo, 188cm Mid
Ben Hopkins (Dand Stingrays) - 19yo, 190cm Med Def
Will McLachlan (Geel Falcons) - 19yo, 185cm Med Forward
Cooper Trembath (East Ranges) - 18yo, 193cm Gen Def
Trent Bianco (Foots VFL) - 23yo, 181cm Mid
Toby Murray - (Adel SANFL) - 20yo, 200cm Ruck/Forward
Jed Hagan - (East Freo) - 19yo, 175cm Mid/Forward

Others who were possibly unlucky to miss the draft last year include:

Geordie Payne (half back)
Koen Sanchez (small forward/mid)
Cam Nyko (wing/half back)
Tarkyn O’Leary (wing/outside mid),
Kade De La Rue (mid/forward)
Jack Callinan (small forward),
Will Patton (medium/tall defender)
Nathan Philactides (defender)
Michael Rudd (tall forward)
Riley Wills (mid)
Sam van Rooyen (tall forward)
Tyson Sruk (mid)

Would love to hear of any mature aged state league key talls making waves if Blight and Howes are off the table.

Thought Ned Long was still to be cut from the Hawks as well, so wouldn't mind getting him into our VFL program and an opportunity to push for senior games.

Howes is 18. He has a lot of work to do to actually make it. If we gave him an 18 month contract, we’d have a better understanding of where he’s going. We could also put an extra 10kg on his frame and if he grows another 2cm, it’s a bonus.

As for comparisons to Schache, the guy came into the AFL thinking he’d be the greatest thing since sliced bread and didn’t try enough to succeed.
The problem isn't that he's lacking smarts, the problem is that he's not going to beat anyone with strength or speed at the next level unless he's got some extra acceleration hiding somewhere.

We're either looking for ready to go role players, or unpolished gems. He looks like neither, and giving him 18 months means an extra delisting that we probably cannot spare.

Jacob Blight (Peel Thunder) - 23yo, 196cm KPD (possible #1 pick according to some)

Lewis Young with an injection of confidence. If available, might be smart if we've already got an in-principle deal for Young to be traded? Nothing special as an athlete though, but would free up a list spot given we'd also release Durdin.
Junior tape and write-ups give a bit of a Mitch Thorp vibe. Not a bad thing, but Thorp struggled with the step up and the impact of building out his frame... this kid looks similar.

May need to elevate his running capacity at the next level. Listed at 85 kgs but that can't be right on this footage:

Just as a bit of a reference guide, here are some of the names that have caused a fair bit of interest in the media and on the main board:

Riley Wills (mid)
Tyson Sruk (mid)
I wonder if we'll grab Sam in the hope of luring his brother down to Melbourne when he's out of contract.

Riley Wills (mid)
Tyson Sruk (mid)

Related to Steve De La Rue ?