Teams Minnesota Vikings - Skol Vikings

Remove this Banner Ad

One salient point to note from Spielman was the premium prices being asked for any quarterback trade.

"I made a bunch of calls. I am not gonna mention teams. But there was blood in the water, and teams knew it," Spielman told King. "The price was too high. I didn't want to mortgage our future. Some teams asked for a first-round pick and a core young player. I can understand the pick. But we worked too hard over the past three years to put all that time and energy into drafting and developing a solid core of this team. I was taken aback who they were asking for. Players who'd been in the Pro Bowl. I mean, in the off-season, you've got time. There's not blood in the water in the off-season. But now there was."

Teams knew Spielman's back was against the wall. He couldn't ride into the season with a 36-year-old Shaun Hill as the only option. With the uninspiring options of Mike Vick and T.J. Yates on the open market, a trade was the best bet.

Even the trade options weren't plentiful. Mark Sanchez was there for the taking, but a guy who was just beaten out by a seventh-round pick with zero NFL passes under his belt isn't exactly comforting -- even if it would have been cheap. Mike Glennon could likely be had for a steep price. The Bengalswould ask for a boatload to part with cheap, solid backup AJ McCarron. When you get to EJ Manuelon the list, you need to stop (and probably take a drink).

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...r-injury?campaign=fb-nf-sf35165457-sf35165457

Thanks for that. I don't normally read Peter King but this article is definitely right up his alley. The article does show just how much of a premium QBs are in the league and that once your starter goes down you better have an in-house plan in place, otherwise you're going to be screwed over by the other teams.

I have little faith in Sam Bradford and have lowered my expectations for the season.

I hope that Bridgewater makes a full recovery, otherwise the Vikings are going to be in a bad place for the next few seasons in that they have a team that could contend but lack the final piece (a serviceable QB) to achieve anything....

Two great/insightful articles.

Can't help but think that they know more about Teddy's injury than we do - they wouldn't give up a 1st Rounder and potential 2nd rounder, if it was a stock-standard 10 month ACL :(

I see Green Bay taking the NFC now.

Two great/insightful articles.

Can't help but think that they know more about Teddy's injury than we do - they wouldn't give up a 1st Rounder and potential 2nd rounder, if it was a stock-standard 10 month ACL :(

I see Green Bay taking the NFC now.

Bradford is contracted for 2 years and comes with a cost of $7 million this year, and $17 million next year. He's due a roster bonus of $4 million next year and that finishes all the guaranteed money in his contract (the $13 million salary he's owed next year isn't guaranteed).

The contract actually suits the Vikings down to a tee because it gives them a relatively cheap look at Bradford this season and then an extended timeframe next year to assess if they want to keep him on the roster.

The biggest question is what to do with Bridgewater, because the team will have to make a decision on his 5th year option (FYI Tannehill's 5th year option was worth just over $16 million) before they know if he's going to make a full recovery from his knew injury.

One thing from this link was a later reference to Norv Turner. Turner is a way better OC than he is a HC and I'm sure he'll evaluate the limitations of Bradford and base his play calling around that. I think Bradford is shot as a starting QB, but if he has any semblance of the potential that made him the #1 pick then Norv is going to maximise that.
While I think the Vikes gave up too much to get Bradford, I feel there's hope.

It's all about the D.

I haven't watched the full game yet but it looks the defence proved they're continuing on with the momentum they built up last season. Hill played a mistake free game and got bailed out by the defence. Good games from Diggs, Rudolph, and Thielan made up for a pretty ordinary running effort.

I doubt if Hill will get another week, but lets see what happens during the week.

Yeah D got the job as they usually have to. My expectations lowered going into this one for obvious reasons so it was good to still get the W.

Now we wait and see if Bradford can get a rythym good enough to give us a decent shot at the Cheesies in the home opener.

Just in case you are wondering......

Teddy Bridgewater, Vikings
Due to Bridgewater's fully guaranteed contract he'll be paid his full salary in 2016 and will come back in 2017 on a fully guaranteed $2.1M cap figure, and a 5th year option available in 2018 should Minnesota exercise it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure I can remember a defensive effort like that from a Vikings team, and I've supported the team since the early 90s.
Nice to have a competing coaching staff and FO isn't it! I've been high on Zimmer for some time and to see him mould this team into what it's becoming, it's not surprising but geez, it must be welcome. When I think of Minny, I think of those punishing defences of yesteryear and that looks to be back. Looks like it may be a fun season for Vikings fans.

NYG this week - http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MannEl00/gamelog/?opp_id=min
  • Eli is 5 TDs, 14 INTs against us
  • I believe 5 of those TDs were pick 6s
  • This is the best defense we've put together since hes played us.
This is exactly the type of game that on paper we win, which is exactly why its the type of game the Vikings of old would lose. Lets hope the Zim Zam cannot be Flim Flammed.

MNF + Public Holiday in NSW means I'll get to watch it live as well - PUMPED!

Willie Beavers signed to the active roster off the practice squad. He adds depth to the OL but underwhelmed during the pre-season, not sure he'll be active on Monday unless Boone doesn't play

Just wanted to post how happy I am with this season i thought bradford was a good get if we can protect him but thought he would take a little longer to settle.

Had =to come back to post how pleased I am... I'm not dealing with how s**t we've been to miss when we start looking good...

Go Vikes

Well the first loss had to come and some point, but we looked awful - multiple redzone looks without score. Zim's quote this week on our O-line was on point as always but really need to turn it around and get Bradford some more time in the pocket. Can't rely on the D all year.

Zimmer on if O-line can be fixed: "Confidence? I have faith. Faith is belief without proof. I have faith."

Bears this week SHOULD be a win but division games can always get interesting.

Well the first loss had to come and some point, but we looked awful - multiple redzone looks without score. Zim's quote this week on our O-line was on point as always but really need to turn it around and get Bradford some more time in the pocket. Can't rely on the D all year.

Zimmer on if O-line can be fixed: "Confidence? I have faith. Faith is belief without proof. I have faith."

Bears this week SHOULD be a win but division games can always get interesting.
Good new is Bradford took 19 hits and didnt break..

The turn overs were so uncharacteristic from us and the D did their job as well as they could but no support from O meant the boys get tired hence the later scores...

confident we'll bounce back... O line biggest concern for mine but that's nothing new...

Good new is Bradford took 19 hits and didnt break..

The turn overs were so uncharacteristic from us and the D did their job as well as they could but no support from O meant the boys get tired hence the later scores...

confident we'll bounce back... O line biggest concern for mine but that's nothing new...

I think our current OL play is historically bad. We've always had at least one position of concern on the OL but I can name at least positions LT, RT, RG that are currently bad. I wish I could wave a magic wand and get Mike Harris back from whatever ailment is currently affecting him, because I believe he's our best chance at this point to bolster the line.

The Vikings have re-signed Austin Shepherd to the practice squad and also have Sean Hickey on the practice squad but I don't think they are realistic options even as backups on the main roster.

Abit suprising they were able to almost steal that one.

This now scratched together offence is really annoying to watch. A 'running team' coming into the year that can't open or find a hole. I guess it is somewhat expected with all these injuries. But still have to be better than this.

The defense stoof up for most of the second half. Rhodes penalty was stupid and huge. Disapointing to let Prater have a shot, even with his great range.

Walsh has to go. The organization has shown faith. He has not shown us a reason to keep him. Relationship is broken.

But outside of Walsh, things like getting an Int to the 19. Then penalty and sacked back out of FG range was just ridiculous.

The hype was cringe worthy anyway but we are comfortably back on earth now.

Make changes and get healthy Vikes.

Abit suprising they were able to almost steal that one.

This now scratched together offence is really annoying to watch. A 'running team' coming into the year that can't open or find a hole. I guess it is somewhat expected with all these injuries. But still have to be better than this.

The defense stoof up for most of the second half. Rhodes penalty was stupid and huge. Disapointing to let Prater have a shot, even with his great range.

Walsh has to go. The organization has shown faith. He has not shown us a reason to keep him. Relationship is broken.

But outside of Walsh, things like getting an Int to the 19. Then penalty and sacked back out of FG range was just ridiculous.

The hype was cringe worthy anyway but we are comfortably back on earth now.

Make changes and get healthy Vikes.

Couldn't agree more - here's a summary of the Vikings season since the bye:

upload_2016-11-7_9-55-23.jpeg

To be serious the two biggest concerns for the Vikings going into the season were the OL and the kicking game and both have been exposed as season killers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back