Research Missing DOD or DOB for League players (AFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Twelfth batch of DOD players

Christopher "Chris" John Lamborn (Nth Melb 1938, Sth 1943, StK 1944) (b: 3/4/1916) Orig club Rochester.
He moved to Queensland later in his life but is not in Qld BDM online (up to 1987)
I've emailed an Ian Lamborn who I believe is his son - he has just sent a response saying he will get back to me (which I assume means I'm on the right track) but no details as yet...

<snip>
Reginald John "Jack" Law (Foots 1943-44) (b: 18/7/1924) Orig club: Yarraville
<snip>

I cannot find any refs to his death in BDMs, Ryerson, Ancestry, or Melbourne Cemeteries.

Yes, he'd be 93 at present, but with the population getting older as generations go by,
he is another who could still be alive.

<snip>
Thomas "Tom" Francis Lee (Coll 1897-98) (b: 11/12/1874) (Orig club Richmond City)
<snip>

Not a lot to report so far.
Ancestry family trees hint that his mother died on the day he was born.

The Vic BDMs 1874 #11539 certainly have a death for Elizabeth Lee (aged 37) spouse named John.

Tom Lee's birth reg #24769 shows parents as John & Elizabeth (nee Conn) and upon checking for other children in that family I found there were a number born in the 1860s and 1870s.

Will try and track them into 20th C. and see if a family notice gives more clues about Tom's life later on.

Christopher "Chris" John Lamborn (Nth Melb 1938, Sth 1943, StK 1944) (b: 3/4/1916) Orig club Rochester.
Received the below response from Ian (Chris's son)
"Regarding Dad's life and death.
Dad resigned from the Frankston CID in 1958 and shifted to Ingham in Far North Qld where he took up sugar cane farming till his death on 7th August 1992.
For the record, Dad played for the Mornington Football Club after being transferred to Frankston for a number of years"

Slightly off track. If anyone comes across the first names of the below Richmond VFA players , please advise.
The club is making all premiership players life members, so it will be good to at least have their full names.

A "Chook" Davidson. (played for Richmond in 1902)
R Duncan (played for Richmond in 1902)
P Gibney (played for Richmond in 1902) Played 1 game , June 14th. He is listed online in the Port Phillip Herald team line up along with Percy Gibb.
K (?) Hardy (played for Richmond in 1902 in 1 game - August 23rd vs Brunswick) He is listed in the Aug 23 Port Phillip Herald team list in the forward pocket (The cutting is glued into the Richmond Minute Book). He is referenced as 'a local junior'
E Main (played for Richmond in 1902) . I believe he was the brother of Jack Main who also played in 1902 for the club. The club Annual Reports spell their surname as Maine. The press spell it as Main. It's possible that E Main was from Blenheim FC. In Richmond's Annual Report of 1904 it says that Jack Main is 'now in the golden West'
Manning (first name unknown. Played for Richmond in 1902)
Wilson (first name unknown. Played for Richmond in 1902, it appears in 1 game - 2nd August vs Nth). He is listed in the Aug 2 Port Phillip Herald team list in the forward pocket (The cutting is glued into the Richmond Minute Book). No iniital given.

Last edited:
Slightly off track. If anyone comes across the first names of the below Richmond VFA players , please advise.
The club is making all premiership players life members, so it will be good to at least have their full names.

A Davidson. (played for Richmond in 1902)
R Duncan (played for Richmond in 1902)
P Gibney (played for Richmond in 1902) (don't confuse with Percy Gibb who also played in 1902)
K Hardy (played for Richmond in 1902)
E Main (played for Richmond in 1902) . I believe he was the brother of Jack Main who also played in 1902 for the club. The club Annual Reports spell their surname as Maine. The press spell it as Main. It's possible that E Main was from Blenheim FC. In Richmond's Annual Report of 1904 it says that Jack Main is 'now in the golden West'
Wilson (first name unknown. Played for Richmond in 1902, it appears in 1 game - 2nd August vs Nth)
I posted something about this a while back in another thread. I'm not sure if you missed it or simply dismissed it!! Roland Duncan played for Collingwood in 1900. R. Duncan went from Collingwood to Richmond in May 1902, so there should be a decent chance it's the same player:-

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...fficial-records.1089761/page-34#post-51171062

Still on that same theme, R. Duncan went from Collingwood to Richmond in 1902. Probably Roland Duncan who played for Collingwood in 1900. http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/199398622

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/R/Roland_Duncan.html

I hope you've had a good week, BTW!!!

Wilson (first name unknown. Played for Richmond in 1902, it appears in 1 game - 2nd August vs Nth)
A Jack Main played 1 game for South Melbourne in 1907. The Encyclopedia of AFL Footballers says he was "ex-North Fremantle". I know he's not one you are looking for here but the story may still be worth checking out, as your VFA player may have been a VFL player (for another club).

I posted something about this a while back in another thread. I'm not sure if you missed it or simply dismissed it!!

I simply missed it. Thanks for bringing to my attention. R Duncan played for Richmond in May 3rd match onwards. Which fits nicely into his May 2nd permit from Coll to Richmond. So more than likely it is indeed the same man. Thank you for that.
PS: I had a great week. Only now slowly getting my voice back.

Do you have an AJ Wilson playing in 1899-1900?

Permit for AJ Wilson to go to St Kilda http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article9057522 did he then come back or is it a different one? AustralianFootball website have no listing for him

We don't have an AJ Wilson. Though in 1898-1899 our earlier research shows a T. Wilson. (Unless that is AJ Wilson).
The 1902 'Wilson' is peculiar, as it seems he just appears for Aug 2 match then disappears

A Jack Main played 1 game for South Melbourne in 1907. The Encyclopedia of AFL Footballers says he was "ex-North Fremantle". I know he's not one you are looking for here but the story may still be worth checking out, as your VFA player may have been a VFL player (for another club).

Thanks for the tip. There is a Maine who played for Nth Frem in 1904 it looks like. John Maine - and he suffered an pretty bad injury in 1904.
So if I try to follow his details, it might reveal for me perhaps a name of a brother called E. Main(e)
John Maine's permit to Sth in 1907 is here. and then it looks like he ended up in Pembroke FC in 1908

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for the tip. There is a Maine who played for Nth Frem in 1904 it looks like. John Maine - and he suffered an pretty bad injury in 1904.
So if I try to follow his details, it might reveal for me perhaps a name of a brother called E. Main(e)
John Maine's permit to Sth in 1907 is here. and then it looks like he ended up in Pembroke FC in 1908
Here's the death notice for John Alfred Main:- http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/205652392 (22 Dec. 1945)

AustralianFootball.com (http://australianfootball.com/players/player/jack+main/2308) says Jack Main died 16 December 1945, so it should be him. He had brothers William, George and Ernest.

The death of Ernest Edward Main (with parents William and Louisa - John's death notice has William and Louise) was registered with Vic BDM in 1955:-

Event Death
Event registration number 1255
Registration year 1955

Family name MAIN
Given names Ernest Edward
Sex Male
Father's name MAIN William
Mother's name Louisa Grace (Hodges)
Place of birth GEELONG
Place of death CROXTON
Age 76

Last edited:
That seems to correlate with E Main and Jack "John" Main playing for Richmond. Thanks 35Daicos.
Jack Main was dealt with in the Inaccuracy thread - see post 970 and thereabouts.

Late edit

At the time there was some debate about whether his name was Maine or Main from recollection it was discovered his name name may have been Maine not Main.

Last edited:
Jack Main was dealt with in the Inaccuracy thread - see post 970 and thereabouts.

Late edit

At the time there was some debate about whether his name was Maine or Main from recollection it was discovered his name name may have been Maine not Main.

Yes the Jack Main, and E Main thing it a bit of strange one. And to be honest I still think I'm missing a link.
In Richmond's Annual Reports, Minute Books, Richmond Guardian it lists them as 'Maine'. The Melbourne press list them as Maine. There are a few papers that say Main. (like Geelong papers)
And in the 1904 AR is says he's in the golden west. Then a Maine appears for Nth Frem ... ends up at Sth....
It's just link from Richmond to Nth Frem that bugs me. I cant find a permit for it. And I can't even find a permit prior to 1902 of him coming to Richmond.

It's just link from Richmond to Nth Frem that bugs me. I cant find a permit for it. And I can't even find a permit prior to 1902 of him coming to Richmond.
Have been reading up on permits and I believe there was discussion in 1904 about the ease of players heading West then coming back to a different Vic club gaining an automatic permit. I shall chase link . http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article10315620 though it does point out that a permit is still required so some paperwork must be out there

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article10315620 though it does point out that a permit is still required so some paperwork must be out there
Thanks GreyCrow. I'm a bit pedantic when connecting the dots - but 35Daics research/Harry/and yourself paint a logical picture that we have the right Main/e
The only thing irking me is the different spelling. But until something comes along saying it *can't* be those two men, I'm happy to run with the first name of Ernest Main. (Cause we know J Main is Jack Maine as it is listed in club's Minute Book) Cheers all

Thomas "Tom" Francis Lee (Coll 1897-98) (b: 11/12/1874) (Orig club Richmond City)
Something to chase up if someone has a spare $33 :D

NZ BDM has a death of a Thomas Francis Lee aged 83 in 1957

1957/25842 Lee Thomas Francis 83Y this gives an approximate Birth date of 1874

I searched on births for 1872 to 1880 and no TF Lee turned up. Certainly not a clincher but as I have not (yet) found a death in Australia that looks to match I think its an option

The certificate costs $33 to obtain

Thirteenth Batch of DOD
William "Billy" Lachlan Mark Lewis - Carlton 1900. B: 15/9/1874 Orig club Richmond City
George Lockwood - Geel 1899-1901, Coll 1902-04. B: 6/12/1872 Orig club West Perth. Perhaps died 1946? Twin brother of Teddy
*John "Jack" Andrew Logan - Footscray 1946-48. B: 14/12/1923 Orig club Braybrook
James "Jim" Gordon Lyons - Carlton 1897-98. B: 5/4/1876 Orig club Parkville
*Roy Francis Lyons - Nth Melb 1937-38, 1940. B: 28/3/1916 Orig meh NorthMelb CYMS. WW2 Ary

Last edited:
Thanks GreyCrow. I'm a bit pedantic when connecting the dots - but 35Daics research/Harry/and yourself paint a logical picture that we have the right Main/e
The only thing irking me is the different spelling. But until something comes along saying it *can't* be those two men, I'm happy to run with the first name of Ernest Main. (Cause we know J Main is Jack Maine as it is listed in club's Minute Book) Cheers all
Reading through all the stuff on the other thread from quite a few months back (I'd forgotten it was there) only adds to the confusion! It's hard to know what to make of it all!!

Thirteenth Batch of DOD
*Roy Francis Lyons - Nth Melb 1937-38, 1940. B: 28/3/1916 Orig meh NorthMelb CYMS. WW2 Ary
Ryersons Index have a Roy Francis Lyons passing in 1996 aged 80 ( so birth year match) in Illawara Mercury NSW posted on 1st April 1996 and 2nd April 1996 living in Gwynneville NSW death date saying March 31 1996

LYONS Roy Francis Death notice 02APR1996 Publication Illawarra Mercury 02APR1996
LYONS Roy Francis Death notice 31MAR1996 Death 80 late of Gwynneville

Thirteenth Batch of DOD

George Lockwood - Geel 1899-1901, Coll 1902-04. B: 6/12/1872 Orig club West Perth. Perhaps died 1946? Twin brother of Teddy
If your suggestion of Edward 'Teddy' Lockwood who died in 1946 is a brother to George Lockwood then we see this come up ( I shall abbreviate it)

Event registration number21646 Registration year1946 Family nameLOCKWOOD Given namesJohn Edward Father's nameLOCKWOOD James
Mother's nameBarbara (Ernshaw) Place of birth LANCEFIELD Place of deathSHEPPARTON Age76 -Gives BD 1870

Registration year1926 Family nameLOCKWOOD Given namesGeorge Father's nameLOCKWOOD James Mother's nameBarbara (Ernshaw)
Place of birth Place of deathLANCEFIELD Age66 Gives BD 1860

ie cant be twin and would be 40 plus Edward/Teddy born in Victoria

But sometimes its about elimination as well as nomination. :)

But sometimes life throws a curve. In the 1926 story a Bill is also mentioned in the brothers tale. So we then get this :D http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article148371788

Event registration number8633 Registration year1938 Family nameLOCKWOOD Given namesWilliam
Father's nameLOCKWOOD James Mother's nameBarbara (Earnshaw) Place of birthLANCEFIELD
Place of deathKINGSVILLE Age76

So a story mentions all 3 names but I cant see it being the footballers

WA BDMs dont offer much

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back