Astronomy Mission to Mars

Will we see a manned Mars mission within 10 years

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The fastest speed an astronaut has achieved is 11 km/s, which means a trip to Mars would be >2 months at minimum :$

What we need is an engine that combines the fuel burn rate of a rocket engine with the exhaust velocity of an ion thruster:

Thrust (Newtons) = Fuel burn rate (kg/s) x exhaust velocity (m/s)

Yet another compromise to use human proxies for exploration instead of Ai robots

You can forget a one-way mission anytime soon. No company or government is going to sanction a death mission.

If Musk gets a crew to Mars he only has Mars to contend with, no fossil fuel companies pulling strings, no governments putting up red-tape, no foundations with their own agendas, no regional cultural issues impacting projects, no ingrained reliance on industry from locals trying to feed their families.....just a dead planet with atmosphere issues.

It's a blank canvas.

Musk won't be allowed to 'own' Mars. His company could be the only people there, but his capital and anything that regulates it is stuck here with the politicians and bureaucrats.

Why no send some cockroaches an see how they go?

Seriously, the eventual movement of human populations to mars might be faster id robot proxies are used in the meantime.

Sending humans too soon would just be a "how long before they perish' exercise, which would finish the venture off surely

But the fact is space missions are controlled from command centres with robot proxies to do the onboard tasks.
Sending humans wouldn't change that, they're not going to be driving ffs

You can forget a one-way mission anytime soon. No company or government is going to sanction a death mission.

Musk won't be allowed to 'own' Mars. His company could be the only people there, but his capital and anything that regulates it is stuck here with the politicians and bureaucrats.
True to an extent
The amount of freedom he would have to govern can not be overshadowed by any government regulation
Who's going to stop him haha

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Yeah, are the US going to send up the Coast Guard to have a word with his minions in Mars?

First in, first served. They'll do as they please.

NASA research subjects emerge from eight months of isolation

After eight months of living in isolation on a remote Hawaii volcano, six NASA-backed research subjects will emerge from their Mars-like habitat on Sunday and return to civilization...

The data they gathered will help NASA better pick crews that have certain traits and a better chance of doing well during a two-to-three year Mars expedition. The space agency hopes to send humans to the red planet by the 2030s.

Wasnt there going to be space tourism by now?

Man stopped sending men to the moon four years after the first mission

There's a reason

Exploration via robot and AI proxies will continue and flourish

But you have to wonder about a man who says humans will be banned from driving cars but for some reason we have to replace space craft, which are autonomous now, with human explorers

Surprise surprise,the South Pole of mars has liquid water 1.5 kms beneath the ice,pretty much confirmed!
The race is on to build something to drill thru and get some samples!
This is amongst the greatest discoveries in recorded history. Amazing.
Doesnt seem to be too much hype about it.
I am confuzzled.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is amongst the greatest discoveries in recorded history. Amazing.
Doesnt seem to be too much hype about it.
I am confuzzled.
They will when we bring samples back with some form of microorganisms!
Game on!

Surprise surprise,the South Pole of mars has liquid water 1.5 kms beneath the ice,pretty much confirmed!
The race is on to build something to drill thru and get some samples!
Just read up about this , such an exciting discovery and life has been found in such harsh environments on earth so there’s a potential for it to be on Mars imo.

Can’t wait for further data and research into this 20 km wide lake

I don't think we will see 1.5km drill depth on Mars in my lifetime.

Especially not bringing those samples back to earth
It may not be necessary to drill all the way down to the actual water to have good samples,did you consider that?
We do it here,why not there?

It may not be necessary to drill all the way down to the actual water to have good samples,did you consider that?
We do it here,why not there?

Of course I considered that. By the way, I'd hope I have 65 years left.

Let's take the Mars rover, 900kg. The entire weight of the rover over 1500m is 600g a metre, 0.0006kg per mm. That's roughly equivalent to 10mm diametre steel. Don't take what I'm saying as pessimism because I'm very excited to see how these challenges are surpassed, but they aren't insignificant.

Carrying 1500m of tube strong enough to survive the shearing force applied to it at the top enough to turn the cutting at the bottom. That's a remarkable achievement.

I'm sure we can get the equipment there, I think we can get the drilling issue sorted but I think we need to have the lab on the rover doing the drilling because getting those samples back to Earth is like designing a Ferrari supercar when we just invented steam powered locomotion.

So that goal could be sitting there on the shelf out of reach for twenty years. The invention of a space elevator here would accelerate the process so much, being able to build a second one and send it to mars and deploy it upside down to pull the material off Mars to send back to Earth.

Baby steps to go.

Of course I considered that. By the way, I'd hope I have 65 years left.

Let's take the Mars rover, 900kg. The entire weight of the rover over 1500m is 600g a metre, 0.0006kg per mm. That's roughly equivalent to 10mm diametre steel. Don't take what I'm saying as pessimism because I'm very excited to see how these challenges are surpassed, but they aren't insignificant.

Carrying 1500m of tube strong enough to survive the shearing force applied to it at the top enough to turn the cutting at the bottom. That's a remarkable achievement.

I'm sure we can get the equipment there, I think we can get the drilling issue sorted but I think we need to have the lab on the rover doing the drilling because getting those samples back to Earth is like designing a Ferrari supercar when we just invented steam powered locomotion.

So that goal could be sitting there on the shelf out of reach for twenty years. The invention of a space elevator here would accelerate the process so much, being able to build a second one and send it to mars and deploy it upside down to pull the material off Mars to send back to Earth.

Baby steps to go.
Agreed.
It’s definitely a multiple stage operation,which in itself offers up logistics we may not currently have the tech for.
There’s definitely an objective for new tech here,I don’t think we’ll see hundreds of metres of steal being deployed as we do here,most likely some for of robotics drilling and extrusion of the core ice,in stages.
That’s be guess!

Agreed.
It’s definitely a multiple stage operation,which in itself offers up logistics we may not currently have the tech for.
There’s definitely an objective for new tech here,I don’t think we’ll see hundreds of metres of steal being deployed as we do here,most likely some for of robotics drilling and extrusion of the core ice,in stages.
That’s be guess!
We haven't even started talking about how much power will be involved.

The arctic drilling on Earth with burning fuel engines powering them take 7 days to drill 600m, the super deep one took five years to get down.

That's a lot of solar panels for a few hours of drilling each day. Unless you're happy to have nuclear power plants there, that would get it done much faster but the risk of missing the landing and spreading radiation across your target area might be too much to take.

We haven't even started talking about how much power will be involved.

The arctic drilling on Earth with burning fuel engines powering them take 7 days to drill 600m, the super deep one took five years to get down.

That's a lot of solar panels for a few hours of drilling each day. Unless you're happy to have nuclear power plants there, that would get it done much faster but the risk of missing the landing and spreading radiation across your target area might be too much to take.
More than happy to use whatever means necessary to get the job done and in a timely matter!

Back