Movies you have never seen but probably should have

Soph, for somebody who admits to getting teary at the slightest hint of sadness, do yourself a favour and get a jumbo box of tissues and watch The Sound of Music. A classic.

Another movie which hasn't been mentioned anywhere yet is Mississippi Burning, probably my all-time favourite.

Soph, you'll need 2 jumbo boxes when you see how the black folk are/were treated in that movie.

If you like Mississippi Burning, and it IS good, have you seen In the Heat of the Night, with Sidney Poitier and Rod Steiger. Similar themes, fantastic film.

Thats a damn good list Costanza. I love just about every movie on there. The only ones I haven't seen are: Blue Velvet, La Vita e Bella and Mean Streets but considering just about every other movie you've listed would be in my top 40-50 I'll have to check those 3 out.

Great movie but the Cot Death scene is really hard to watch. Also the crawling baby on the roof is pretty ****ed up.
Yeah, but the grittiness is astounding. I love British films like that.

Anyone seen a movie called Cashback? My friend recommended it to me, but she liked Cloverfield, so I'm wary.

Thats a damn good list Costanza. I love just about every movie on there. The only ones I haven't seen are: Blue Velvet, La Vita e Bella and Mean Streets but considering just about every other movie you've listed would be in my top 40-50 I'll have to check those 3 out.

I've seen 9 of the movies on Adam's list :(

I have read Fear and Loathing, which is outstanding, but the movie is apparently not so good. I've not seen it.

Yeah the book is fantastic - HST is one of the most interesting authors we've seen over the past 50 years. But the movies also great. It's not everyones cup of tea - in essence it's just two, very strange men fumbling around Las Vegas taking ludicrous amounts of drugs. But anyone with experience/interest in the drug scene will get alot out of it. And it still allows for some of Hunters social commentary. Also - Depp/Del Toro are superb.

As an aside - I heard a rumour that Jack Nicholson and Marlon Brando were approached to play Duke/Gonzo (respectively) in an 80's adaptation of the book. **** that would have been awesome!

Great list Costanza, i would add 'Sling blade' though.

Haven't seen it mate, might track it down. I'm quite partial to Billy-Bob.
There are dozens more movies we could all add to that list, those were just off the top of my head.

Watch Life is Beautiful! (La Vita e Bella)

Yes - do it! My favourite foreign film, with Roberto Benigni giving one of the most astonishing, charasmatic and heart breaking performances ever seen (he also directed it). Some of you might remember him from the 1998 Academy Awards, where he went ballistic and started jumping up and down on all the chairs when the film won Best Foreign Film, and then he personally won Best Actor in a Leading Role. As an aside, I think it was the first and only time a male has won the Best Actor Oscar for a non-English speaking role.

I can't speak highly enough of this film. Make sure you watch the original, Italian version. There are alot of dubbed versions floating around, that take so much away from the performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cTR6fk8frs

^^^ Benigni's Oscar acceptance speech

Not quite on topic, but I watched once tried to watch Eyes Wide Shut.
I got maybe an hour in, before the gagging forced me to stop.
Without doubt, the most dreadful piece of shite every committed to celluloid (or whatever they filmed it on), and where "Our Nic" claimed for all eternity the title of worst actor to win ANYTHING, let alone an Oscar, (I know she didn't win it for this movie) for her stoned-in-the-bathroom scene.

An abominable pile.

Hmm - I'm a bit of a Kubrick fanboi so can't claim objectivity, but I really liked some elements of the film. I agree with you about Kidmans acting - she's absolutely disgraceful in this film (and not much better in many others). It was summed up perfectly by her acting drunk when stoned, and stoned when drunk. She's either never had a cone or beer in her life, or she's just incredibly thick. Tom Cruise didn't help either.

But the 20 minute masked scene was fantastic, loved the camerawork and score.

GFII follows two narratives; the consolidation of Michael as the head of the family, and the rise of Vito from immigrant to power some 40 years earlier (shown in long 'flashbacks'). DeNiro plays the young Vito superbly. Go watch I and II now!

Grimlock - Dr. Strangelove is fantastic, it satires the Cold War and the nuclear threat in such a ball-bustingly funny way. Peter Sellers at his best.

Some personal suggestions for other movies everyone should see (coming from a movie nerd who has worked in a video store for 5 years whilst at uni);

• Apocalypse Now
  • Scarface
  • Taxi Driver
  • One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest
  • La Vita e Bella (Life is Beautiful)
  • Being John Malkovich
  • Shine
  • In the Name of the Father
  • The Deer Hunter
  • Pulp Fiction
  • A Clockwork Orange
  • Rain Man
  • Bladerunner
  • Momento
  • Goodfellas
  • American Psycho
  • Usual Suspects
  • Philadelphia
  • Schindlers List
  • Full Metal Jacket
  • Mean Streets
  • Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
  • Trainspotting
  • Basketball Diaries
  • American History X
  • Natural Born Killers
  • Requiem for a Dream
  • Platoon
  • Lost Highway
  • Mulholland Drive
  • Donnie Brasco
  • Silence of the Lambs
  • Office Space
  • Reservoir Dogs
  • Shawshank Redemption
  • Once Were Warriors
  • Raging Bull
  • Blue Velvet
  • Romper Stomper
  • Fight Club
You've probably seen alot of them already, but all fantastic movies worth chasing down if you haven't.
I hardly ever watch movies. I guess that theory is validated by the fact that I've only seen two (Shawshank and Pulp Fiction) on that list :confused:. Never seen any of the Godfathers either.

I hardly ever watch movies. I guess that theory is validated by the fact that I've only seen two (Shawshank and Pulp Fiction) on that list :confused:. Never seen any of the Godfathers either.
Oh good god.

Time to get you into an institution running modern classics asap.

I empathize Tom. We'll get you fixed in no time.

Hmm - I'm a bit of a Kubrick fanboi so can't claim objectivity, but I really liked some elements of the film. I agree with you about Kidmans acting - she's absolutely disgraceful in this film (and not much better in many others). It was summed up perfectly by her acting drunk when stoned, and stoned when drunk. She's either never had a cone or beer in her life, or she's just incredibly thick. Tom Cruise didn't help either.

But the 20 minute masked scene was fantastic, loved the camerawork and score.

We'll agree to disagree; I think (vague memory) I had all but given up on it by then, but I seem to recall coming back into the room and seeing some of that scene and, well, sorry but I just thought it was pretentious bollocks.
Kubrick did Clockwork Orange, yeah? Again, a great book, but the movie from memory was a bit patchy, maybe coz I had to wait so long before I finally saw it.

Not many comedies on that list.
Holy Grail and Life of Brian should be there, also Porridge (original movie), although that's just a personal fave, and Super Troopers if you're after a bizarre, late-night stoner comedy. Well, I laughed at the time.

Surely there's a lot of comedies should be on there. Some Like it Hot, anyone?

We'll agree to disagree; I think (vague memory) I had all but given up on it by then, but I seem to recall coming back into the room and seeing some of that scene and, well, sorry but I just thought it was pretentious bollocks.
Kubrick did Clockwork Orange, yeah? Again, a great book, but the movie from memory was a bit patchy, maybe coz I had to wait so long before I finally saw it.

Not many comedies on that list.
Holy Grail and Life of Brian should be there, also Porridge (original movie), although that's just a personal fave, and Super Troopers if you're after a bizarre, late-night stoner comedy. Well, I laughed at the time.

Surely there's a lot of comedies should be on there. Some Like it Hot, anyone?

Strangely, i like both Kubrik movies and life of Brian and loved porridge movie.

Ronnie Barker is a legend though.

Great thread (especially Costanza's list -- there are a lot on there that I haven't seen), I haven't had a chance to read it properly until now :eek:

The ones I have been meaning to see - probably some of the Coen brothers' earlier films, like Blood Simple and Fargo, to see how they compare with their more recent efforts. I could probably think of more but I can't recall the others...

As for the LOTR movie marathon: spare me! :p

Great thread (especially Costanza's list -- there are a lot on there that I haven't seen), I haven't had a chance to read it properly until now :eek:

The ones I have been meaning to see - probably some of the Coen brothers' earlier films, like Blood Simple and Fargo, to see how they compare with their more recent efforts. I could probably think of more but I can't recall the others...

As for the LOTR movie marathon: spare me! :p

You have to see Fargo.

Haha I only just realised where patty batty's user name comes from. Forgive me for being a tad slow.

"Patty Batty" hardly carries the gravitas I'd be hoping for.

As for a LOTR marathon ... each movie on its own is marathon enough.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid remains a classic, same with the Great Escape and the Magnificent Seven. I remember seeing them as a kid, and then years and years later seeing them again and enjoying them even more.

Of course, two movies with particularly personal significance that I expect to cop it for even mentioning, are Nic Cage's lead debut movie, Valley Girl, with one of the greatest soundtracks I can recall, and The Warriors, which for somereason I would still watch, even though I think I'm well past at least 15 viewings of each over the years.

Cage's character, Randy, remains among my top two or three favourite movie characters.

Oh, and for two great performances, the movie Primal Fear, with Edward Norton, who is brilliant, and Richard Gere (probably his best role) is another I would urge people to see.

Here's a tip: this movie Australia will prove another massively expensive flop, largely because Lurhmann's a wnker and Kidman one of the worst actors ever.

Anyone who likes the movie "Desperado' with Antonio Banderas, should watch the move 'El Mariachi'(however spelt) the Mexican version, subtitles an all!...:thumbsu:
I seen it way before Desperado came out and it was one of my fav's way back when!

Back